Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a 2003 650. Anything I should keep an eye out for? Any reason to just buy a newer one? Please let me know all you can about this bike. Thanks in advance. Going to see it tomorrow. Only has 18,xxx looks to be in good shape and no passenger backrest.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
My suggestion on a '03-'04 would be pulling the adapter gear on the CVT to inspect the CVT input bearing and splines but I doubt you would want to go through that. If it was ok the first thing I would do is buy and install the upgraded Polish adapter to prolong it's life and reduce the rattling to what should have been normal noise.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I would skip the 03 model and look for a clean 05+ model.

the 03/04 models are far more prone to CVT failures, have cheaper wheel bearings and a host of other possible issues.

I have a std 04 and it is by far the one bike on which more OEM parts have failed under 60k miles.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'd stick to '08 models and newer. The '07 had the redesign, engine & body, and it took a year for Suzuki to work out the bugs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm with the others, buy the newer model which your money can buy... while not every year is an improvement on the last, think about 2003 another way - it's 11 years old already. That's not to say buying a 2003 is akin to buying a 'lemon' but all things being equal at later year/newer model should buy you a less statistically significant chance of buying a scoot more prone to an imminent failure... but then the thing about statistics is... there are always those outliers...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it looks like I'm sticking with the 400 for now. Thanks for the advise on getting a newer model. I thought that having the 650 the same year as the 400 would kinda neat. Idk. But, looks like I'll be on the hunt for an 08 or newer. Maybe by the time I get one the price on a used one will go down. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
bikerdoc, funny avatar.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts