Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used manual almost all day today. this bike does a lot of thinking on its own.

If you shift between manual and normal, it picks the right gear every time. If you stay in Man, and slow down or stop, it stays in the selected gear till stopped, then selects 1 for the next start.

Im going to start really getting used to going into man mode for stop and go driving and short shifting to 3, this way the annoying release as ou creep up to a light or the car in front is eliminated. You know what I mean ...decel ...decel....uh..neutral. it breaks my nirvana.

So this is new area for group research.

Hey... I really got my euphoria back today. long ride. 300+ miles. my dealer even did an impromptu oil and filter at 320 miles...then I rode the additional 300+ today...really really wrung it out.

Sceduled the 600 mile service. $130.00 seems steep. That's when they'll do the tranny and final. Take off all the tupperware and check bolts and all that happy horseshit.

The service manager is good man, technically very knowledgeable, the shop is very clean and well well equipped. He showed me the Suzuki rate and hour charts for the 650.

Hold onto your hats. The 14500 service for valve inspection is.....drumrolll please.....7.5 hours. Black and white. I said....mother of mercy man, that's big bucks at 70/hr. you got people that are trained ???

He introduced me to the tech who went to Suzy in CA to train on several models and the 650. They made valve adjustment #1 class time excersice.

He said that other Suzy's throough the years used this shim under bucket arrangement, its no biggie, but the engine and cam removal of the 650 is time consuming.

Continuing..." even if the valves are quiet after 14500, you have to check them in cas they get tight, which happens, and can be bad. If the valve adjustment is done right, if it is needed, it may never need to be adjusted again. Shim underr bucket is very stable regarding tolerances once set.

Thats gonna be a 500 $$$$ job man.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Stormsteed said:
Ouch! One question on your "manual" research... is there a display that tells you what "gear" it's in when you hit "manual"? You said it knows which gear to pick, but does it tell you which one it picked? (I'm totally unfamiliar with the Burger dash, so maybe the answer is obvious to those who have the bikes... :shock: )
If you are in auto a Green D is displayed. If you're in the power mode another light saying so is displayed beside the D light. When you go to manual mode the green D goes off a series of numbers 1-5 will light up depending on what gear ratio the machine is in. Then as you click the up or down selector button the machine will change gears.
There is however a failsafe mode built in. If your driving at a good speed and try to manual shift down too many positions the computer will overide your selection and not permit the machine to over rev.
It's really great.
For ABM....
Since you seem to be the Burgman Racing Rebel you need to master these controls so you can take on them sportbikes :wink:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a question that relates vaguely to this thread. On a standard bike/car/truck you need to close the throttle with every shift. Does one do that in manual mode on a 650 or does one just keep the throttle at it's current level of opening and simply push the button? Enquiring minds need to know. :roll:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm confused (not an abnormal state). I read, or heard, that if you wanted to shift from Drive to Manual, you had to come to a complete stop, push the toggle to M, and then drive off.

Is this true?

Also, what does the "Power" button do?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ted White said:
I'm confused (not an abnormal state). I read, or heard, that if you wanted to shift from Drive to Manual, you had to come to a complete stop, push the toggle to M, and then drive off.

Is this true?

Also, what does the "Power" button do?
not true. You can toggle back and forth on the run, the tranny goes into the correct gear every time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks, ABM, I'll try it out tomorrow. So far I haven't even tried to fiddle with anything other than 'D', which seems to work quite well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ted White said:
Thanks, ABM, I'll try it out tomorrow. So far I haven't even tried to fiddle with anything other than 'D', which seems to work quite well.

Oh yeah its great ; you miss nothing by not using manual. Plenty of torque off the line in drive. Power mode is just Drive at a lower ratio for faster starts or passing. But even in drive, a roll on at 65 mph will have you going 90 in no time.

This is a fine machine with a great engine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The marketing for this machine in some regions has led to a bit of confusion about the transmission system that it has fitted - especailly in markets where big-scooters are not popular and not widely used, and where CVT transmission cars are not widely used.

Let's keep in mind that this is not really an 'automatic' in the accepted sense. It has a CVT gearbox (continuously varying transmission), which has no defined ratios, so constanlty vaires the ratio to match riding conditions.

When you put it into 'manual mode' you are telling the CVT computer that you would like it to mimick 5 fixed ratios that you can shift through at will - but they do not actually exist.

Similarly, when you press the 'power mode' mode button, you are telling the CVT computer tha you would like it to maintain engine revs about 4,000rpm at all times, to allow you to have instant access to max torque and power. 'D' has you normally below 5,000rpm using torque and less petrol.

This is why you can engage 'Power Mode' or 'D' or 'Manual Mode' at any time - you are just asking the CVT computer to vary the ratio in one of three pre-programmed ways. There are actually no gears.

So feel free to push, toggle and experiment when on the move - although I myself find myself usually in 'D', sometimes in 'Power Mode' from traffic lights, and on downhill mountain passes for increased engine breaking, and rarely in 'manual mode', as it makes me ride more aggressively...

Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yah. I'll confess. When I read the magazine test reports on the Burgman 650 the number one attraction for me was that manual mode option. All these high end European cars have optional automatics that can be shifted manually - and now they have clutchless manual transmissions that can shift themselves automatically too. It seemed so cool to have something like that on a two wheeled vehicle that I could actually afford to buy! (Last time I looked at my finances a Maserati or Aston Martin was out of the question). :cry:

When I actually bought the machine, I was amazed at just how well the default "Auto" mode works. It works great around town. It works great on freeways and high speed two lanes. It works great in the twisties. It provides engine braking when appropriate. It gears down when you whack the throttle open at 65 mph to pass a truck. You can ride all day long in Auto mode - and I often do. Once in a while I use "Power" or "Manual" modes, but I would still be happy with the machine if they weren't even there.

But you see... I never would have been interested enough in the machine to go buy it, if it didn't have those optional transmission modes. :book:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I didn't know a thing about the Burgman when I bought it. After riding it home and reading the manual, I realized the 'manual' mode simulated the Tiptronic transmission in my 03 Passat (the same tranny is in the Porsche and Audi). The Tiptronic is fun - - there's a slot you can move it into to the right of the regular vertical slot, and there's a plus mark on top and a minus mark on bottom. Flick it one way or the other and it shifts. Should you forget, just like the Burgie, and come to a stop without downshifting, no matter, it does it for you.

As with the Passat, I think I'll just stick to 'D.'

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ted,
My wife has a Passat S/W with tiptronic. She uses the +/- alot. She didn't want a manual because the use of the clutch bothered her left leg. My A4 with 6 speed is just fine. The Burger is still in my future maybe for another 30 days, then I'll take the plunge.
Rob in So Cal

·
Registered
308 Posts
We also have the Passat 1.8T with Tiptronic. It's an awesome feature, especially for this 4-cyl car, when you are caught under the 'turbo zone' you flick it down for your 'giddiyup!' Keeps the car in gear when you want to stay tight on the curvy mountain roads too. The Burgy's manual mode works almost exactly the same -- but I find that I use the "M" mode on the Passat much much more than I use it on the Burgy. I rarely ever use it on the Burgy.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Now we're talking!

However, the Passat doesn't have CVT -it has a conventional automatic gearbox with 5 set ratios that it shifts through as you drive, or that you are able to shift through by using the +/- 'tiptronic' gate.

An example of a CVT transmissioned car is the 2004 Nissan Murano. Follow the following link, and click on Xtronic CVT for an explaination of the difference between a standard automatic and a CVTgearbox.

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/Model ... 66,00.html

This is what the Burgman has fitted, and this is why despite having only 40ft/lbs of torque it feels like about 75ft/lbs of torque, and why it's 50bhp feels like about 80bhp - the CVT transmission keeps the engine basically at between 3-4,000 rpm at all times, no matter what the road speed (below highway speeds).

As Paul says, the reason why many of us are here is because the gearbox gives you the option of controlling the attitude of the machine via Power Mode or Manual mode and D, however many of us don't bohter using Manual mode much.

Interestly, the new Honda Forza (Reflex) NSS250 has an e-CVT system too, which allows the rider to engage a 'manual mode' just like the Skywave (Burgman) 650. Looks like this bike has started a trend...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts