Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For weeks now, ever since I got my 650, I've been religiously tuning in The Weather Channel every night when I go to bed and every morning when I first wake up. So far they've accurately prepared me for the day's riding.

But yesterday they predicted showers, so I left my bike at home. Guess what -- not a drop fell during the time I was at work. I could have left my Ranger at home.

Last night they said the weather today in Everett would be partly cloudy. This morning it said mostly cloudy. No mention of rain or showers, so I rode to work.

An hour after I got to work, the rain started. That was 5 1/2 hours ago, and it's still falling. I leave in 4 hours, and I didn't bring any rain gear. Drat!

Looking at the Doppler RADAR, it's only raining in a narrow strip right across my position. Seattle's dry. Marysville's dry. But Everett is Ever Wet!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I was going to post a screen capture of the RADAR image since it's so wierd, but unlike another forum I belong to (E-Budo.com for Japanese martial arts enthusiasts), this one doesn't appear to allow simple posting of images in the threads.

If I'm missing something, will a knowledgable member please enlighten me.

TIA.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On E-Budo there's a "Browse" button at the bottom of the new post page that let's you navigate to the place on your hard drive where the image is stored to upload it.

There's also an "IMG" (Image, I presume) button like the one here, but I've never figured it out. I think it's for linking to images on Web pages or something.

It's all a little over my head. When I took computer programing in high school we worked on ASR-33 teletype terminals, saved our programs on punched paper tape, and thought 8k of memory per terminal was a lot. :roll:

·
Registered
209 Posts
There's no direct uploading of pictures here. Well, there might be, but it's not turned on. I just put the picture on one of my own websites, then use the super secret BBCode here to let the picture show in the message. You would have to put the picture file on a webserver you have access to, then use the following code in a message here.

Code:
[img]http://www.yourwebsite.com/thepicture.jpg[/img]
That's how it's done with BBCode.

As easy as changing the valve shims on the 650 :shock: .

·
Registered
209 Posts
Brian said:
There's also an "IMG" (Image, I presume) button like the one here, but I've never figured it out. I think it's for linking to images on Web pages or something.
Hitting the "IMG" button types the

Code:
[img]
Then you type the URL to the picture and hit the IMG button again to come up with

Code:
[/img]
You can use the button, or simply type it in. I just type it, it seems easier.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kias said:
You can use the button, or simply type it in. I just type it, it seems easier.
Uh, yeah. Easy. Assuming you have your own Web site to link to! :(

Thanks for the help, though. Someday when my "Net worth" is higher and I have the skills to get my own site I'll be glad I was shown what to do.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Speaking of Weather Channel.... On my return trip from the Black Hills earlier this week, I stopped in Valentine, NE to top off my gas tank. Valentine is the largest town in north-central Nebraska, but that is not saying much - it is a relatively small town. I pulled into a Shell station. (Brand name gas other than BP and Phillips 66 is scarce in Nebraska.)There was a square LCD display on the gas pump. It started off with the instructions for conducting the transaction (Credit or Debit, etc. etc.),

Once I began pumping gas, I heard what sounded like a weather person talking. I looked up at the display, and there was the weather channel, in color! Cool! The National weather map was being displayed, and I saw that most of the country was in green (raining), except for a big oval in the north central portion which spanned the area of my trip. Kinda made me grin.... Unfortunately, it doesn't take very long to top off a Burgman gas tank, and as soon as I hung up the pump the display reverted to (Do you want a receipt? etc.).

First time I'd ever watched TV on a gas pump. And it happened in Valentine, NE of all places!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pauljo said:
...Once I began pumping gas, I heard what sounded like a weather person talking. I looked up at the display, and there was the weather channel, in color! ...First time I'd ever watched TV on a gas pump.
Anthony's at Pier 66 (an upscale restaurant on Seattle's waterfront) has little TVs mounted on the walls above the urinals in the men's room. :roll:

Don't know what the ladies have. :wink:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Most of the weather websites tend to have tons of ads. I started using the National Weather Service site instead. It's fast, clean, and always up to date.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
"NOAA" I found works the best, more options NO Ads

·
Registered
925 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
JD said:
I can't stand the National Weather Service.
I like this one best; http://www.umweather.com
A web portal page??? It's nothing but a page of links. Maybe you typed in the wrong URL address?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Sorry about that Bill. Don't know what happened. Apparently the site has moved. I'll see if I can find out where it went to.

JD

·
Registered
925 Posts
I don't know what happened. I used it just a week ago and it was fine. The weather link used to be on the top left hand side of the screen, now it's gone. Sorry for the bad info guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts