Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to riding, and have noticed riders on other cycles wave to me with the left arm extended down, often with 2 fingers extended, either palm down our palm up. Is this a Texas thing, or generic? This wasn't covered in the rider course!

·
Registered
925 Posts
It's definately not just a Texas thing. That's the way 99% of all the bike riders I have ever seen wave. Just their own special way of saying "hi".

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Left arm down. Normal.

It's almost a secret, subtle wave. Some places have laws requiring both hands stay on the handlebars (Wichita, KS, for example). The left hand down is about a daring as one would get with that law in place. Of course the left hand is nearest a passing rider, and it's the one least required to run the bike. A naturally evolved wave.

I think it's great.

Dave B.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It also has to do with wind resistance. If you have ever stuck your arm out the window of a moving vehicle, you see why. At any speed at all, it will pull your arm back, which could have a bad effect if you're on a motorcycle/scooter. The lowered arm, fingers out provides the least resistance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Very good. I didn't want to unknowingly flash some signal other than 'hi'.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I went out for a ride Monday evening (end of a long weekend) and it was the first time I encountered so many other bikers. Being a newbie I wasn't used to so many people giving me the wave--it was all I could do to keep alert to traffic and acknowledge people when I could by nodding or lifting two fingers off the grip. I hope they didn't think I was being snobbish--I'm just not comfortable taking my hands of the grips, yet :wink:.

·
Registered
42 Posts
:lol: This is funny. People do it in Maine as well. I am not comfortable waveing the way 97% of the people do it. Due to the Terrific wind protection and my very comfortable upright position I wave just like I was walking down the road. Different maybe but I feel safer and more inclined not to bump the handle bars on my reaquisition. All ricers will wave, 60% domestics will. I tend to feel rejected if I innitiate a wave and it's not returned, Guess I need to grow up a bit. :)

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I was told that the two finger wave meant that the other rider was hoping you keep your two wheels on the ground and ride safe. Sounded good, so I have always told others that.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The wave...

Darcy, boo hisssss! (of course that is just my humble opinion! :D )

I used to own a Corvette and we all waved to each other. I like the warm fuzzy feeling I get when another rider waves...its a feel good thing. Especially riding a scooter...nice when you are acknowledged into "the club".

Casek - I like your thinking...even if someone else thought of if first!

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
All the secret club handsign wave suprised me when I came back to riding. At first I did the little wave of fingers off the handlebar if I saw someone move to wave, but then got comfortable with it. I use to ride rice bikes in a Harley society (lots of mine labor unions) and no one waved at me.

I'm ready for bikes, but this morning riding home from work on my Burgie, a school bus driver signed me. I reached up to his height without thinking and stuck my arm into the windstream. It looked more like I was waving frantically than being cool.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
LOL, been there, done that! Although i bet i've raised a few eyebrows on my way back from Florida with the o-ring. Naturally since they were on my right as I passed I waved to them with my throttle hand (without slowing down). :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The wave!

IronRanger,

I can't tell you how many times I have waved at both Corvettes and other bikes...from my Lincoln! It tends to be ingrained when you do it so much. Just be careful...don't want you to drop that new shiny Burger.

Dee

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I wave whenever it is safe to do so. Half the time I don't even look to see if the wave is returned. I really don't care that much - I did my part. Fingers? I'm too busy riding to watch whether they used all their fingers or not. I usually drop my hand down and out to the side - just seems easiest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts