Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wait is finally over...my dealer called and said the 650 is in. This will finally be my chance to dispell the rumours of the "overdrive". The wait was long but with my certified check in hand, the deed will be completed on Friday. However, a question. Awhile ago, someone posted a list of alternative oil filters for this model. Where can I find this list? Thanks :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Congratulations,

I bet you're chomping at the bit to be able to ride it.

(Seattle weather looks good for this weekend, not sure about Vancouver.)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Congratulations on getting your new bike. Be sure to let us know all about it when you decide to take abreak from riding it, and stop long enough to talk.

Back in January of 2004, Fred posted this list. Hope this helps.
Oil filters that fit the AN650:
Fred

Suzuki #16510-34E00 $9
http://www.ronayers.com/main.cfm

Other filters that fit:
These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1mm threads,
11 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve. Available filters include:
Fram # PH6018
NAPA Gold 1359
AMSOil SMF 109
EMGO 10-55660
Hi-Flo HF138
K&N 138
NAPA 1359
Purolator ML16818
STP SMO-18
VESRAH Sf-3007
WIX 51359
Suzuki OEM: 16510-34E00
K&N Oil Filters
http://www.proformanceusa.com/mall/kn_oil_filters.asp

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congrats on the new 650 Timothy. :wink: Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys,

I'll give you my impressions...I have all that experience with the 400 as my benchmark.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Congratulations Tim, look forward to your first impressions and comparative (to the svelte) report. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congatulations Tim, be sure to let us know your thoughts. I'm still waiting for mine........

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tim it looks like you are going to beat me by a week now. My delivery is likely to be next weekend. Congrats.
Phil

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
You're all beating me, I have to wait until May. :cry:

I'll live vicariously.

Keeps us posted. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK Guys,

I worked some overtime to-night so my boss is going to allow me to leave work at about 1:00 pm. The dealer said he just rolled the 650 into his showroom (PDI all done!) and asked if I wanted it delivered by truck to my place to-night. Nah! I'll wait until tomorrow and ride it away from the dealership. Brian and Iilleyen hang tight , your time will come.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I was at my dealer (Savage Cycle in Sidney, BC) today & there on the showroom floor, what should I see, but two brand new AN-650's, one silver and the other a very beautiful looking blue, just sitting there waiting for someone to purchase them. Anyone on Vancouver Island looking for a 2005 650 Burgman? 8)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
two brand new AN-650's, one silver and the other a very beautiful looking blue, 2005 650 Burgman? 8)snipped
vfdcaptain, was this a new blue or the same one as last year.

I have noticed the 650 2004 blue is lighter than the blue on the 2004 400
I think they were the same colour in 2003, not sure.

I was in my dealers last night and there were a few really gorgeous blue Suzuki motorcycles near the 2004 burg, that weren't there on Saturday, so I'm assuming they are 2005 models.

Maybe the 2005 burg is the same colour.
If so, you are right, really nice blue, a little lighter again and very lively.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK let me announce it here and now after driving my 2005 650 home (10 kms)... the 2005 650 Burgman does have an "overdrive" !!!

It is enabled in the manual mode. There is an "OD" light that is to the right side of the instrument panel. Once you place the transmission in manual and jump through from 1st to 5th, then one more push of the "up" button places the tranny in "OD". Funny the owners manual has no mention of this feature. The dealer knew nothing of this feature and my friend from Suzuki Canada, who shall remain nameless, told me there have been no changes to the 2005 model.

Don't ask me revs vs road speed yet. I risked life and livihood to try this is Vancouver rush hour traffic. Like others, I think I will be leaving the tranny in the auto mode. Prior to picking it up, I was so concerned about this feature I called the dealer this morning and asked if they could walk over to it and look closely at the dash. I asked them to find that "OD" indicator. It was locked in the warehouse and I'd come down myself and take a look when I picked it up. Well there was this OD there alright but after leafing through the owner's manual still no mention of the OD, I just had to figure out how to get it in the OD mode. Got it home ready to place it in the shed and it bugged me so much I had to take it out into rush hour traffic. Shifted through 1 to 5 and then finally plunked it into OD at about 75 km/hr. Turned around and went home ...enough excitment for the day. All I need is to rear end some other vehicle.

My first impressions, it pulls like a freight train from a stop and is so so smooth. Engine is quiet and the exhaust note sounds more like a motorcycle rather than a lawn mower. Slow speed handling is easy for such a heavy machine. Making me rethink the role of my 400. Anyway, more miles on it, I know, will further impress me. I love the mirrors and the digital speedo is going to take some time to get used to. At least it doesn't wander around....that could be very annoying so I think the engineers figured to delay the road speed sampling rate to avoid this.

Thats all....lots for only 12 kms of riding. Timothy

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it now!
Cheers!
Keep us informed!
Pete

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Congratulations on the new Burgman 650 Timothy. Keep us up to date on all the cool features you find on it and all the fun you have with your new toy. :)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Quite possibly it kicks in, in the auto modes too, (at least in Normal), but probably only at highway speeds.

Sounds like you "forced" it to kick in, in the manual mode because your speed and traffic conditions were not conducive to giving the OD a workout.

I'm speculating here! :)

Sounds like we have acquired a "sixth" gear.
Also think it might never go into OD in Power mode.
What would be the point?

We'll be listening Timothy. :wink:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I would hope it goes into OD in 'normal' mode, too. If the OD light doesn't come on, let us know what your rpm's are at, say, 100kph, cruising on level ground. Then someone else with an older 650 can check their rpm's at that speed and compare.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts