Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone knows where we can go or what company to contact when it comes to the 650 tires, please let me know. I am sure the company(s) that make our tires would be interested in knowing how many people actually need their services right now. I would have no problem writing a company personally to retrieve my parts if I just knew where to look. For all who don't know- store.azmusa.com/tire.html - this is the best place to get tires right now that I know of. Of course, everything is "on order".
I am about tired of that phrase. If you know of anywhere else- HELP.
I do a lot of riding and need those tires as I am sure you do.

[email protected]

03 Burgman 650(Blue)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Everyone orders tires from the same distributor (Parts Unlimited), whether it is your local dealer or an online store. They can also get the stock Bridgestones direct from Suzuki USA, but at a substantially higher price. Pre-stocking items like that is not considered to be good business practice these days. Accountants make the business decisions, and money tied up in inventory is frowned on.

The way around this is to order the next set of tires long before you need them. As soon as I mount a tire, I order a replacement. I always have the next set in my garage. I will never get caught like I did last August when nobody (neither PU or Suzuki) had front tires and I needed one bad.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx

Thanks for the heads up. You are the second person so far to tell me to keep extra sets of tires. From now on I always will. Especially now that I am stuck until I get my tire. ( I have threads showing through on about a ten inch stretch on my back tire.) :shock:
It doesn't make me very happy, and I wish I had seen that coming, but I guess that's what happens when you go 3,000 miles in a week and don't pay attention :D
I will check out Parts Unlimited. Thanks again.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
I've never had any problem with my Burgman tires. I just take it to my dealer and tell him to replace them. He carries the Bridgestones in stock and I wouldn't want any others on there anyhow. See, no problem.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The gent I bought my 650 from, included a spare set of Pirelli tires in the deal. At the time I thought it was just a nice bonus, now I'm seeing it a bit differently. The bike came with a new set of Pirelli's on it, so I hope I'm set for a while.

BTW, I have a lot of experience w/Pirelli tires and am quite happy with them so far. I'm hoping the live up to the same quality/design standards for thier bike tires as thier car/truck lines.

The Wyldman

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wyldman said:
The gent I bought my 650 from, included a spare set of Pirelli tires in the deal. At the time I thought it was just a nice bonus, now I'm seeing it a bit differently. The bike came with a new set of Pirelli's on it, so I hope I'm set for a while.

BTW, I have a lot of experience w/Pirelli tires and am quite happy with them so far. I'm hoping the live up to the quality/design standars for thier bike tires as thier car/truck lines.

The Wyldman
Just wondering, who is your dealer Wyldman?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
eBay!

I'll probobly be doing my service business with Commonwealth Suzuki, here in Louisvlle.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Re: How long?

kcburgman said:
Just curious... How long did the factory installed tires last you guys?

~Tom
Mine lasted 12,500 miles or 20,000 kms.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts

kcburgman said:

~Tom
It varies a lot. You will find other discussion on tire wear if you search the forums. I got about 5,300 miles out of the rear and I replaced the front at about 9,000 miles. Generally you can expect the rear tire to wear out long before the front tire does.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I'm not certain yet, I'll need to look very closly, but between Tirerack.com and Discount Tire online ( http://www.tires.com ) there has to be some way to get these tires w/o so much pain, agony, and expense. I have done a lot of business with both companies and have nothing but good things to say about them.

I have just never tried to get scooter tires from them before, although they have both come through looking for odd sizes or types in the past. If they don't have them, enough requests for them will put them on the shelf in the warehouse eventually, I have accomplished this before with them.I still need to know specifically what size tire and who makes them. Remember I don't have my scoot yet so I can't just go look.

Thus far I have Bridgestone ( OEM? Is this the only OEM manufacturer? ) & Pirelli, any other manufacturers I can look for? I have a few resouces that I can pursue from my racing days, so anything anyone can give me here will be of help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My factory installed tires lasted 8,000. My second set and third only lasted 4,000 each. The back tire wore out too quick both times. They were Bridgestone. Maybe I was riding too hard or something.
I ordered Pirelli. I was just sent an email from them telling me my order was on hold... :evil: I NEED THAT TIRE! Somebody help. :cry:

·
Registered
31,101 Posts

kcburgman said:

~Tom
My rear tire lasted 30,000 km (18,600 miles), the front went 36,000 km (22,370 miles).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Wes said:
kcburgman said:

~Tom
My rear tire lasted 30,000 km (18,600 miles), the front went 36,000 km (22,370 miles).
How in the world did you get your tires to last that long?
Were you going 55 mph or less at all times? :?

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
55 or less? Don't be silly. I run around 100 to 120 kmh most of the time and mostly on mountain roads with lots of corners. I always ride solo so that may help. I run my tire pressure at 33 and 36 like it says in the manual. The roads around here are cold and wet a lot of the time so that likely helps too. Other than that, I don't know why.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I'm having real trouble believing those numbers. That is more than triple the mileage that I got out of my rear tire, and about 2.5 times what I got from the front. Allwalk also got high mileage from his tires (although not THAT high).

The common denominator is that they both live in Canada. Hot pavement is one thing that definitely accelerates tire wear. Even though I live in Nebraska we have plenty of hot weather during the Summer months. I also spend a lot of time going 60-70 mph, there are plenty of country 2 lanes as well as Interstate around here where those speeds are normal. Not sure what the situation is where these folk live. But with the relatively small diameter wheels (compared to a motorcycle) higher speeds also take a toll on tire wear.

There is no way I could get that kind of tire life where I ride. Absolutely no way. I think a lighter throttle hand, at most, would increase tire life by 50%.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I see Wes responded while I was typing. A lot of it must be due to pavement temperature. It sounds like he doesn't ride all that much slower than I do. Going in the other direction (south), I think a couple of our members in the really hot climates burned up Pirellis in just several thousand miles. I'm thinking Randy was one who reported that?

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
A kind of strange thing that I observed, my '02 Honda ST1100 also had Bridgestone radial tires but only got 13,000 km on a front tire and 18,000 on a rear, running the same roads and the same speeds as the Burger. When I first looked at the Burg, I figured that the smaller tires would, for sure, mean less miles. The dealer was as surprised as I was when it proved the opposite. I'm now on my second front tire and my third rear (the first was ruined by something on the road at 2000 km). We've started what looks to be a warmer and drier than normal year so it will be intersesting to see what effect that has on tire life.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts