Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I saw it at the show as well Rod and had to take a couple of Pics. I actually went to see if Honda had the Silverwing, but they didnt. I wonder when the other manufacturers will realize the market potential they are missing by not supplying to Canada.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
lycheed said:
Hi Allwalk,

I'm really not familiar with Canada, so could I ask some silly quetions?

What do you think the potential market share is in Canada versus conventional motorcycles?
Do you think that they will be able to convert non-riders into riders by entering the Canadian market?
Do you think that they will be able to convert car drivers into scooter riders?
What is the perception of 'scooters' versus conventional motorcyles in Cananda?

One thing that was evident when we were rolling out through North America in the 1990s was that market entry costs are not small, and if returns are not certain there isn't the will from the financail backers to pursue it. Hostile attitude to non-American machines, derisory attitude towards big-scooters, uninterested franchises, sales staff that have no product knowledge - I think that there is probably a good argument to withdraw the big-scooter line-up from North America entriely, as opposed to enter Canada...

Even as it is, Suzuki have not released the Type S line of the AN250/400 series to North America, so they only have a very partial commitment to North America with the scooter line-up as it is.

What do you think?
Good questions Lycheed!
I think the scooter market is in its infancy still in Canada. Rod and a few others have been riding scoots around here forever. But as the major cities grow and the roads get more congested , also add in the rising fuel costs, I think the growth of the Scooter section is going to be quite strong. Again here like most other places the MSf courses are booked solid. This means a great new crop of new riders. The only problem these riders face is an issurance industry that is severely gouging the riders. I know riders on 600 sportbikes who are paying $4000 a year to ride. The 650 Burgman can be insured quite easily for under $1000 to a new rider. I think once people realize the potential of the Burgmans you will see alot more people looking at scooters.
I think its possible to convert car riders or non riders to scooters just due to the twist n go ease of the scooters. I've had so many people tell me that the reason they dont ride is beacuse of there fears of manually shifting. The automatic transmission in cars really opened the market for drivers and I think the scooter will do the same for motorcyclists.

The reason Suzuki hasnt released the others to market here is I believe due to some archaic laws in regards to having foot brakes. Once they can clear this hurdle I think you will see all sizes of scooters represented. I think Suzuki is held back right now by a quota or number restriction.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Allwalk, thanks for the response. I had to duck out for a meeting, and hadn't really finished the composition so I deleted the post with the intention of resubmitting it later on when polished. Everyone either thinks I'm mad for deleting posts willy-nilly, or indeed thinks that you are mad for replying to a post that doesn't exist... :lol:

Interesting thoughts that you have expressed. I think it all sounds logical, and can really empathise with the comments on ease of riding. I love my geard bikes, but once last year when I took the Reflex in for a scheduled service I was preseted with a CBR929 as my loan bike. Joy for some, nightmare for me - how do you get to work and meetings in a suit and with A4 breifcase on that? In all weathers? How do you get across town to your dinner date, and whisk her off to a night viewpoint on that? OK, the latter isn't really a geared bike vs scooter comparison, and more of a replica vs scooter - a cruiser would do the second pretty well. However, try travelling by 929 or Harley in the rain to a meeting. Not fun.

The expansion of female riders here too has seen a increase in the number of big scooter riders, too. As you suggest, they are so easy to ride that they are even easier and more comfortable to get around town than public transport or the car. Note that I wrote 'easier and more comfortable' as opposed to faster - as (despite the fact that they are fast) that's not always the point of travel, and these thigns have a habit of chilling you out. You can't get a seat on the trains in the mornings here, you are stood shoulder to shoulder for 45 minutes. Going by big-scooer gives you an armchair-like seat reserved for you every morning and evening. v.attractive.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Lycheed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts