Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wasn't very happy with the 21g rollers after a while, sorta killing performance on the freeway for passing and such. I don't have another 60 bucks to waste on another set of 18g sliders right now so instead I figured I'd give this a try and two days in so far I like it. It gives an interesting performance which improvement I wasn't expecting but like, when slowing to a stop they keep the revs just over 3000 until about 12mph when it lets go. Before with either the stock rollers or just sliders it would hang around 2500 till just under 20mph then let go. Also the freeway ride is quite good, you get the drop to 5200rpms at 70 indicated but a twist of the wrist puts it at 7000 in a hurry so you can get the passing power of the rollers but cruising RPM's of the sliders. I still will go full 18g sliders when these need replaced one day, but I am curious as to others reports on the downshift abilities of the 18g sliders. The 21g sliders offer none, you can go full throttle at 70 indicated and get maybe a 200rpm increase which gives you almost no passing power, especially on hills :(

I will keep this post updated after a full week goes by with this setup, but so far I am quite happy honestly and now I have 4 good sliders in the carton with 4 good rollers so my next change will be free :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's cool that it works. I wouldn't have thought that it would. I wonder if when the sliders put the variator into overdrive, if the rollers will have slop on the ramps.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yogurt i noticed this afternoon after steady freeway riding that the rollers rattle when the sliders open the variator. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything though. I am going to see how it holds up over the rest of the week and then a mountain ride this weekend.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost has a hard time staying in overdrive if you give anymore than 40% throttle.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
So I wasn't very happy with the 21g rollers after a while, sorta killing performance on the freeway for passing and such. I don't have another 60 bucks to waste on another set of 18g sliders right now so instead I figured I'd give this a try and two days in so far I like it. It gives an interesting performance which improvement I wasn't expecting but like, when slowing to a stop they keep the revs just over 3000 until about 12mph when it lets go. Before with either the stock rollers or just sliders it would hang around 2500 till just under 20mph then let go. Also the freeway ride is quite good, you get the drop to 5200rpms at 70 indicated but a twist of the wrist puts it at 7000 in a hurry so you can get the passing power of the rollers but cruising RPM's of the sliders. I still will go full 18g sliders when these need replaced one day, but I am curious as to others reports on the downshift abilities of the 18g sliders. The 21g sliders offer none, you can go full throttle at 70 indicated and get maybe a 200rpm increase which gives you almost no passing power, especially on hills :(

I will keep this post updated after a full week goes by with this setup, but so far I am quite happy honestly and now I have 4 good sliders in the carton with 4 good rollers so my next change will be free :)
A few years back - I ordered the DP 18 gram sliders for my 400 '08 and after a few weeks - decided to do what you did!! I now have 4 -18 gram sliders and 4 - stock rollers...... I like both the performance and the fuel economy...about..........61 MPG if I don't ride like a maniac!!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, its like getting the best out of both of them! I am really liking this more and more with each passing day.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Around town it behaves more like it does with all rollers, except you get more aggressive downshifting when needed.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I am not sure I would combine sliders and rollers and be happy (their profiles being so much different), however I am currently running four 18 g and four 15 g sliders and am quite pleased with the results.

As they all have the same characteristic shape they seem to behave in unison despite the weight difference; plus as I have another "set" to put into service should they wear (which after 18k miles of running the 18 g set does not seem eminent).

I should be all set for as long as I own this scoot--which given the 21 years¹ I owned my previous bike should be a good long time...

---------------------------------
¹ - The "previous bike" was an '88 Vulcan 1500 (an 88 in³ '88) I rode for 21 years and 235k+ miles. I bought it in late 1989 after I sold my '68 FLH to buy my house back from my ex-wife. Got a bunch of crap about it back then but I told my fellow club members, "Yes it is a rice-burner; but it burns a F**k of a lot of rice."

"If it ain't broke don't fix it..."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thats AWESOME to here this, Im going to try this tonight. I bought 16gm sliders and it has knocked down my mileage and I dont like the crusing RPMs at 45-55. I thought of trying this and figured the wear it going to be accelerated on the surfaces that ride on the pully but you can concievably get 3 full roller/slider changes out with this setup if it is a good workable solution. I love my 16 sliders, the thing takes off like a rocket actually I just want the RPMs to drop down a little more for crusing and this sounds like the ticket.

Awesome, its like getting the best out of both of them! I am really liking this more and more with each passing day.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think but am not absolutely certain that the only difference between 18g and 21g sliders will be the size of the hole in the brass insert, 21g will have a smaller hole so by boring the hole out a little you should be able to reduce them to 18g I went the opposite way and filled the hole in with some nylon to make mine 19g the brass bushes will push out they are just a tight fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts