Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there much interest on your side of the pond? I can't remember anyone mentioning it on here before.

It all kicks off proper in about an hours time. I've heard from a friend of a friend who went to the full opening ceremony rehearsal that the ceremony is 'wierd'! They reckon that you'd only 'get it' if you are British so I'd be interested in your views after the event (assuming you are watching it). I've been lucky enough to get a pair of tickets for the main stadium on Tuesday 7th and I'm looking forward to it. We're only 20 minutes away by train but I think we'll need to be there about 3 hours before to get through security. We'll see. :-D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well the Director, Danny Boyle, maintains he has made great efforts and care to ensure that while the ceremony will celebrate Britain and the Olympics, it will also be 'inclusive' from an Inernational perspective. We will have to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
In the us it's all on NBC channels only, they just finished the trials and took up most of a couple of weekends on that channel, im an expat and I find there is very little interest , maybe i don't get enough exposure to other sports fans (Olympic sports) :(

There has been more news on romneys gaffs and how "poor" the security is but I'm hoping to get some good coverage, I have my dvr set to record everything I could find , looking forward to seeing it

Of course I'm a little distracted too by the Hungarian f1 too :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
The commercials kill it on TV for a lot of folks. The winter Olympics are far more interesting in my opinion. Only way to watch is to record and fast forward the commercials.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It will be interesting when all the unions go on strike. That might not be a good idea for them though. It could lead to the end of public employee unions.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Lots of interest over here in Canada. Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics really lighted a spark that appears to be carrying over into the Summer Olympics.
As for me, I'm an Olynpic junkie anyway so really looking forward to the next 2 weeks.
Will be interesting to see just how quirky the opening ceremonies are (on the 'telly' this evening over here - replay)
Just hoping for good weather and incident free.
Logistics must be a nightmare!

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
I'd be more interested if the womens volleyball were played in the original olympic uniforms :blackeye:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well I watched it. All 3.5 hours of it. :shock:
I am not an arty person and I thought some elements were, a bit shall we say, - weird - but overall it was pretty spectacular and enjoyable.
I thought the USA athletes in their para military uniforms looked smart too. :wink:

·
Premium Member
14,226 Posts
I'm watching it now. We get it on time delay. The show is over and the parade of the athletes is underway. They are up to Cuba now. Like you I found some parts of the show a little strange but overall it was entertaining.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I'd be more interested in an amateur or hobbiest Olympics. You know - people who have real jobs and real lives.

People who do nothing but train for four years and then pull off a win by a hundredth or thousandth of a second are what ruins the Olympics for me.

They aren't "real" people.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Godzilla Bobber said:
News Flash - looked at the scheduled events. Apparently the Soviets are boycotting again...
Nothing for the DDR either.Guess we don't get to beat the Soviets or the East Germans.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
gruntled said:
Since women weren't allowed I don't think I would care to see that.
i'm not sure volleyball was on the list either but with those two exceptions , I might even buy a ticket

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Watched for a while, didn't get it, it was kind of strange, changed the channel. Better today watching the events, US women are off to a good start, basket ball and football (soccer).

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gruntled said:
Godzilla Bobber said:
News Flash - looked at the scheduled events. Apparently the Soviets are boycotting again...
Nothing for the DDR either. Guess we don't get to beat the Soviets or the East Germans.
Since the early nineties there has been no Soviet Union or East/West Germany. They are known as the Russian Federation and Germany nowadays. :thumbup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Steve D UK said:
Since the early nineties there has been no Soviet Union or East/West Germany. They are known as the Russian Federation and Germany nowadays. :thumbup:
You beat me to that one Steve.. we won the cold war.. :blob:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts