Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of us old enough to remember the big red Salisbury scooter? (Beside me). It was an odd looking scooter with a CVT transmission. Ahead of it's time. It looked fast but would only get up to about 45 MPH and then run out of steam. I do remember the floor gas peddle. I Believe the year was about 1949.

In my youth I did own a Powell scooter and a Whizzer motorbike.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm not old enough, but a Google image search turns up all sorts of reasons why I'm sorry I missed it. Thanks for making me look, Marv.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Are any of us old enough to remember the big red Salisbury scooter? (Beside me). It was an odd looking scooter with a CVT transmission. Ahead of it's time. It looked fast but would only get up to about 45 MPH and then run out of steam. I do remember the floor gas peddle. I Believe the year was about 1949.

In my youth I did own a Powell scooter and a Whizzer motorbike.

Would be unusual for pedal be gasoline not brake, most scooter in past have floor brake pedal built in right side floor.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would be unusual for pedal be gasoline not brake, most scooter in past have floor brake pedal built in right side floor.
The Salisbury had a brake and a gas peddle on the floor. They tried to copy how a car is set up. For a picture Google it and find it in the encyclopedia.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I actually had one of those back in the early 50,s. That was my very first scooter followed by 2 Cushman Eagles, 2004 Burgman 650 and my current 2012 Burgman. Sure wish I would have held on to them. Dad sat on the back of the Salsbury helping me balance it, I was riding around in a park and after about 4 laps when I got back around there stood Dad he had jumped off and I never knew it. That was 60 years ago and it seems like yesterday.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
They had one with a Ninja engine installed run the Scooter Cannonball 2013 and win! It was the ugliest and fastest scooter on the road. :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Salisbury

I remember the Salisbury. Lusted for one but could not afford one back then. Also rode a Powell a few times and owned a 1949 Whizzer.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The Salisbury had a brake and a gas peddle on the floor. They tried to copy how a car is set up. For a picture Google it and find it in the encyclopedia.

That something, as said previously unusual, does this exist on other scooter model also ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts