Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A strange tale of the weird.

Today I ran to my local UPS Store to ship something out. Pulled into a parking space, shut off the engine (kill switch), flipped down the side stand, rested the scooter down onto the side stand, stepped off the scooter, started removing my helmet when out of the corner of my eye I see the scooter fall over onto the left side!

All I can figure is that I hadn't put the side stand down all the way. After all, eliminate the impossible (alien heavy gravity beam? a miniature tornado?) and whatever is left, no matter how improbable, has to be the truth. Side stand must not have fully engaged prior to my resting the scooter on it.

Seems the rear brake lever absorbed most of the impact, judging by its now bent shape. Luckily a replacement is only $10.

Lower side leg shield also now has some minor scratches on it (after JUST having replaced it last month from an unfortunate first-day tip-over over a year ago). Minor scratch at the very left edge of the Givi windscreen.

Still scratching my head... More embarrassed than anything, folks inside the store saw it tip over. Guess my head was somewhere else, presumably when you get stopped in a parking space it's not over yet!!!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Were you on a bit of a down hill slope? Could be as you say the sidestand was not fully deployed. If you were on a slope the bike may have rolled forward enough to cause the tip over. I personally use the centerstand just because of this. If I do use the sidestand I set the parking brake.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Back b4 automatic motorcycles, :D
you always left the bike in first gear.
I got into the habit real quick with this scoot to set the parking brake every time :)
On the kick stand under the right circumstances a good wind could push it forward enough to dump the bike :(

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks for reminding me. My wife backed her car into a Reflex we had, tipped it over and curled the left brake lever. I really liked it like that and just left it that way. Liked the scratches too.

Cheers.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Check:

1) That your sidestand isn't loose.
2) That the sidestand doesn't stick somewhat before being all of the way out.
3) That the spring is seated correctly.

Other than that,make a concious effort to push the stand all the way forward (my money would be on the stand not being all the way forward), and don't park facing downhill.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
MYSTERIOUS!?

No mystery there Nake - it's those daggum gigantic REAR brake lever magnets that they place under the pavement in secret spots. Once caught in their pull - there is noooo escape!!!

:D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The parking lot was flat, in fact if I were to say that it had a slat, it would be that I was parked facing ever so slightly up-hill.

When I got home I flipped the side stand up and down about a zillion times, worked as expected each time. Guess I got sloppy...

Bent brake lever: $9
Cost of UPS package I was mailing: $18.00
Never having your scooter tip over again: PRICELESS!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nake said:
The parking lot was flat, in fact if I were to say that it had a slat, it would be that I was parked facing ever so slightly up-hill.

When I got home I flipped the side stand up and down about a zillion times, worked as expected each time. Guess I got sloppy...

Bent brake lever: $9
Cost of UPS package I was mailing: $18.00
Never having your scooter tip over again: PRICELESS!

The two most dangerous places I've parked are at the drive-through window at my bank (all sorts of OILY GREASY SLICK CRAP falls off cages there) and on the edge of my driveway (put right foot down and was surprised to learn that the foot was on some really soft mud instead of on the concrete.) Didn't fall over at the bank, did at home. That was on a motorcycle, but I doubt there's much difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts