Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I have 2011 650 executive burgman and whenever i start it in the morning the warning message "check engine oil level " appears even after it gets warm and disappears only when i start moving, is that normal? Btw, the red oil lamp goes off when i start the engine.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
check your oil level to make sure that you are not low on oil, should between the L and F marks on the oil level sight glass

on occasion when I am going up a very steep hill, I will get the check oil level warning for a few sec and it goes away as soon as I am back on more level grounds.

another possibility is for the oil level sensor to have gone bad or it may have a signal interruption, very easy to check. there is a DIY on my burgman center for it. Trace the wire and make sure it is fully seated into the receiving socket.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
That's what I call a response , I love this place ...........and the Burgman too :D

TheReaper!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had mine come on several times last year when I was accelerating up hill. Oil showed 1/3 up in the glass sight. I topped it off and all was fine but it used about half a quart in under 3k miles. It isn't burning oil and there are no leaks so I'm left wondering where the oil went to.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I had mine come on several times last year when I was accelerating up hill. Oil showed 1/3 up in the glass sight. I topped it off and all was fine but it used about half a quart in under 3k miles. It isn't burning oil and there are no leaks so I'm left wondering where the oil went to.
I think that's pretty standard. I live on a hill and inevitably about 3k miles after an oil change the light comes on until I get to flat ground. I top it off with half a quart and all is well till my next oil change. Same thing happens with my 400, only it takes about a quarter quart to fill 'er up. It's all good.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah when it comes on and off you know it's time to top up a bit. Usually takes about a 1/3 of quart/litre

I find the Burgman 650 uses some oil after high speed sustained runs...there are several theories on why

That gauge is a brillant bit of tech.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yes but make sure it is correct weight tho for top up not really an issue.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Can i use car oil?
You can use car oil but be sure it is not "energy conserving" oil that has additives that can cause the clutch to start slipping. The 650 has a wet clutch so you need to use oil that is safe for use with a wet clutch. If you are not sure about the oil then the safe bet is to use motorcycle oil.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Why would you even want to use car oil unless it is a beater and/or you are where you cant get motorcycle oil?
Most of us that don't use MC oil in our 650's or 400 use diesel oil. Shell Rotella is a popular brand that quite a few of us use.

ps. I'm not wanting to start a which oil is the best fight. ;)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Why would you even want to use car oil unless it is a beater and/or you are where you cant get motorcycle oil?
...... because diesel oil is as good as, if not better for the engine, than motorcycle oil, and around a quarter of the price.

·
Super Moderator
2,368 Posts
Danger! Will Robinson Danger!:kermit:
Oil's a bit like religion sometimes so I'll push back to topic a tetch.

I don't have enough miles on my "new" ride to know how it's going to be, but my 06 went through oil a tetch on long high speed runs.
It seemed to be a bit more when using Rotella diesel full synth, (schedule 3 I believe), then when using a schedule 4 (PAO) base, but that may have also been a function of having a few more miles on the bike when I went to using the Rotella.
It was never enough to worry about too much, always less than a quart, roughly a pint as I recall at worst, but it would make it flicker like you describe until I topped it off on a couple occasions.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes but make sure it is correct weight tho for top up not really an issue.
I agree the correct weight and oil is very important. That was my first thought after reading your post. The engine is cold and oil is too heavy to read till warms up. That is why I love synthetic oil the visit holds better and it reacts better at temperature extremes cold/hot. Also a Quality oil filter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts