Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man, I'm so new to this forum and already I am being swayed away from the Burgman by a temptress who goes by the name of Majesty. I went out this morning to get my Burgy fix and ended up at a Yamaha dealer. The Majesty was sitting there in all its' blue glory with factory color matched hard case. I sat on it and poured over it getting a fairly good feel for the machine then left to visit a Suzuki dealer not far away. I sat on a 400 and felt quite at home, but not quite. The placement of the bars and controls were just where they should be the seat felt right but it just was missing a certain ....something.
Back to the Yami shop. The Majesty was gorgeous. I sat on it again but it didn't feel quite right. Everything fell right to hand but it was missing that one certain piece of the puzzle as well, but boy did it look good. So here's what I have come up with:

Majesty: drop dead gorgeous, the head lights are reminiscent of the FZ1 one of my favorite bikes from head on. It does have slightly more luggage capacity than the Burgman but it is split into two separate areas and may not be as convenient. Only drivers portion of the saddle lifts for access, this is great if one wants to use saddle bags for touring. Bigger rubber is nice. The seat is quite a bit firmer than the Burg' but it seems most people end up making changes anyway. Apparently better on the highway, one of the guys in the shop said he had it up to an observed 153 kph with room to go. Top case is color matched. Floor boards aren't as good as the Burgman. Glove compartment is far better than the Burgman. Reliability is unproven but Yamaha does have a good reputation.

Burgman 400: It is a good looking machine in its' own right. The storage area is better. The Burgman has been here for a while so maintenance reliability issues are well documented. There is a ton of support and knowledge on this forum that is invaluable. Much better around town from what I understand. The seating position does fit me better. More choices for top cases, and for now, probably windshields and other accessories/add ons. Tires are probably less expensive. As eluded to above, if I have problems while doing my own maintenance, there is always help right here.

I would like to keep in the 400cc range for cheaper insurance and fuel economy, but still want to hit the road and do some touring.

Test rides of the Yamaha and both Burgs are definitely in order.

I almost had a test ride on the Majesty. The dealer was just getting one that had been tested by local journalists ready to ship back to Yamaha headquarters. There were issues with whether the dealers insurance covered the bike or not. It had come out with an Ontario plate that had already been sent back. they said if I was serious they would prep the floor model for me. Unfortunately I'm just not quite able to swing a deal right now.

Rub

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Leave aside the ergonomics form what I understand the Majesty is better for the higher speed work while the Burgman is better for the cut and thrust stuff. The Majesty sells well in Europe - but not as well as the Burgman.

At the end of the day - they are both good machines and your test ride will reveal what suits you best.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, that's the bottom line Norm, test drive. When all is said and done it doesn't matter what I ride as long as I have a smile on my face.

Rub

·
Registered
496 Posts
Majesty

Hey Rub,

I truly understand what you are saying. I loved the Majesty for it's color and general look. But the 30" seat height was way to much for me. I don't understand why people say you don't have access to the passenger side. I think the trunk is a lot bigger than the 400. I was able to fit my helmet, jacket & boots to spare in the Majesty. I have not tested that in the 400 yet, however there seems to be some limitations in that the cargo space on the 400 Burgie 2005 has a lip under the riders back rest. As a result you loose length in the space.

I agree with you on this forum. It is great. I hope to have a Burgman 400 by March, but I am still doing a lot of research.

Good-luck with your investment. Do you know anyone who wants a Suzuki Savage 650? I am on ebay the one with the yellow bike. As soon as I sell it, I will get a 400 Scoot.

Evelyn

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Evelyn;
I just realized that the Majesty was on its' center stand when I sat on it. I doubt if it would be too tall for me though, but I'll have to go have another look tomorrow just the same. I'm sure you will have no problems stowing your gear on the Burgman, it is spacious under there.
Sorry, but I can't help you with a buyer for the Savage.

Rub.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
On my 400, I had my FF helmet, a leather jacket (with thick liner), my emergency compressor, my purse, 2 sodas, a cap, and some other junk and it all fit just fine.

The Majesty, I almost got because well, I just like the Burgman better.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Pinwheel said:
On my 400, I had my FF helmet, a leather jacket (with thick liner), my emergency compressor, my purse, 2 sodas, a cap, and some other junk and it all fit just fine.

The Majesty, I almost got because well, I just like the Burgman better.
Yeah but that is no real test! Us guys are just :lol: amazed at what you girls manage to get in your purse!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just was faced with the same decision: Majesty or Burgman. This forum wasn't an issue, because as I stated in my intro post, I wasn't aware it existed until after I bought. Although, now that I'm here, it feels like home.

In favour of the Majesty:
  • size: I'm a big guy[/*:m:hwbu0e1m]
  • dealer location: mere minutes from work[/*:m:hwbu0e1m]
  • highway power: I am planning on commuting, and part of the trip is on the Trans-Canada highway[/*:m:hwbu0e1m]
  • 14" front rubber: larger contact patches are good![/*:m:hwbu0e1m]
In favour of the Burgman:
  • dealer: I liked the guy. He sells Suzuki and Triumph, two good marques in my books[/*:m:hwbu0e1m]
  • pep: Cycle Canada ran a comparison in their Nov/Dec issue, and they commented that for stop and go, the Burger ruled[/*:m:hwbu0e1m]
  • colour: the blue and grey Yamaha used did nothing for me[/*:m:hwbu0e1m]
  • looks: the Burgman just looks better. To steal the term from Norman, the Yamaha looked lardy :spam1: [/*:m:hwbu0e1m]
  • length in the market: the 400 Burgman has been around for years, and I reasoned that Suzuki must have worked out the design defects over the years[/*:m:hwbu0e1m]
The final (and in the end only) reason was legroom. Despite the larger size of the Majesty, the Burgman gave me more legroom and clearance with the bars. Game, set, match.

That having been said, the choice is no one's but yours, and make the choice you're happy with. I know I did.

Simon

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm having a really good chuckle about all this 'which scooter to buy' stuff right now. It suddenly became obvious that here I am trying to rationalize something that really is an emotional based decision. The only way I'll know is by planting my butt on the saddle of the scoots I deem worthy of living with me, twisting the throttle and seeing which one makes me smile the widest and want to ride it again. Until I'm actually ready to plunk the cash on the table, I'll keep looking and dreaming and visiting this place!

Rub

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Rubble,

I've been there. Easy thing to do in the Winter when you can't ride anyway. I picked two motorcycles, Bike A and Bike B. Both seemed to best fit the general profile of what I wanted in my next motorcycle. I joined Internet forums for both of them and asked lots of questions. I ordered back issues of magazines to read test reports. I sat on both bikes in the showroom while snow was falling outside. I mentally sorted all the information and was 90% sure Bike A was the right choice for me. Then the snow melted, and I got the chance to test ride them back to back. Good test rides too - not just around the block. Got back to the dealer after the second ride and signed the papers for Bike B. The test rides completely reversed my prior logical conclusions. Why? Bike B was just a whole lot more fun to ride. And I never regretted making that choice. In fact I owned that motorcycle for six years, which is longer than I've held on to any other motorcycle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
To me it seems they are so close that the only way you would be disappointed is if you want to be disappointed. I bought the Majesty mainly because I have seen plenty of Burgmans around and everyone I talked to loved them, but I have traditionally ridden Yamahas, so why not send to message to all the big scoot makers ... bring them to America. All of them! In the meantime, it is natural to evaluate the pros and cons and that is good too.

I personally like the looks of both and I doubt the power difference (like 2 hp) is really going to make a difference ... it really does just come down to personal reasons. I keep hearing how the Burger is better around town, but I haven't had any problems around town. I don't really know what that means. I hear the Majesty is better on the highway ... I hit an indicated 99mph for a few seconds, but I usually ride at 70-75mph ... no reason to choose on that basis in my opinion.

As for luggage space ... can't help in a comparison because I have not loaded up a Bergman, but I can say that I have been really impressed with the underseat capacity and ease of use of the Majesty. I shop at Sam's!!! Everything is in cases .. TP is 30 rolls minimum. I loaded up with more items than should have been legal (TP bungeed on the passenger seat) and rode 20 miles in complete comfort. Good thing the glove box was empty ... had to use it too.

One thing I did note while getting the first service done was a comment by the mechanic (Suzuki and Yamaha shop) who was surprised at how easy it was to do the Majesty. Later I looked at the manual and saw, for example, that you can change the spark plug through the underseat storage via a small cover under the carpet. I wish the FZ1 had that!

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Happy scootin'

·
Registered
969 Posts
I never change my plugs. They're just too darn hard to get at. I never change my underwear for the same reason. It's like, underneath my clothes. I'm supposed to remove everything just to change my undies. No. I don't think so. :D

Steve

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TexasCycle,

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear you take it to Sam's Club, I've often wondered how these scooters would do at Costco. I won't make any decisions until I test ride them, the seat of the pants is best place tp look for knowledge, and I have been told I've had my head up there looking every now and again :). I think the dealer has a role to play in the final decision as well, I want to buy from someone who has a good rep for after sales service. The best price in town does not always mean the cheapest in the long run.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Burgman 400 vs Majesty

Having just gone through the decision process and chosen the Burgman 400 over the Majesty, I will add my two cents to the discussion. The Majesty was only $100 more and all the statistics looked better for the new Yamaha. Larger and wider tires, more horsepower, bigger brakes, more travel in the shocks, etc.

However, when I looked at the horsepower per pound, it was exactly the same for the two scooters. The Burgman just seemed to feel better. Lower seat height, better mirror placement, better instrumentation, better looking (personal opinion), much better passenger accomodations, and a much more usable trunk (here the stats showed 60 vs 55, but the Burgman trunk is more functional. Also small things like a cell phone charger in the glove box, the small glove boxes, a clock, better parking brake, nicer and more comfortable foot boards (for the driver and passenger).

Now that I have purchased the Burgman 400 I am very pleased with the power, which was my main concern. The extra money and weight for the larger scoots would not have been a good move for the kind of driving I do most of the time. The Burgman is Awsome in town and Excellent on the road. Took it up to the longest steepest hill I could find and accelerated from 65mph to 80mph on the hill without even giving it full throttle, and I weigh 250lbs. Control at speed is also great, even in windy conditions.

Terry

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Terry,

If I was in the position to buy today, it would be a coin toss. I have found a Yamaha dealer and a Suzuki dealer that that I like and would deal with either one. The stats on both machines are so very close...but I'm not going to test ride until I'm ready to buy. I have such a strong desire to ride right now, if I did take one out it would be like poking a bear with a short stick.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey, I rode 40 km to work today! I just haven't updated the stat yet... :lol:

Watch the miles pile up as the weather gets better.
Simon

1 - 20 of 28 Posts