Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for the 'perfect' bike for a long time. I have been looking for something comfortable, as in upright, not too, too powerful or 'peaky' as in the current crop of 600 sport bikes, not a cruiser. Something that I can load up and week end tour on (I also plan on going acrosss Canada in '07). Something that is just plain fun to ride. I narrowed the search down to bikes like the Yamaha FZ6, Suzuki V-Strom 650 and the Triumph Bonneville T100. I like them all but not one of them has really 'done' it for me. Then out of the blue I started researching the Burgman 650 and that's why I'm here. it appears on paper to have everything I'm looking for and then some.
Today I went looking for a 650 to sit on and have a good look at but none to be had. I couldn't find any SilverWings either. In fact one Honda salwsman tried his best to steer me away from scooters in general ("you know your friends will ridicule you" yup, he said that!) I'm looking forward to a test ride of the Burgman and I'm looking forward to spending time on this forum. I hate to say it but you all sound so normal. Perhaps in time you can prove me wrong.

Where did 'Burgman' come from?

Rubble

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Normal??? My gosh we do have some characters here! :lol: Hang out in our Tavern a bit & you'll see the best side of some of them.

As far as the ridicule thing goes, may I ask if this salesman was old enough to shave? I'm just pulling your leg a bit. But I can assure you that none of the motorcyclists I've ridden with have ridiculed my 650. And I've had many folks come over and look at it when I've taken a break from riding - and they are generally quite impressed with it.

Anyway, hang around, enjoy the forums, and then go out and buy a Burgman 650! You'll never regret it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Rubble,
Don't give up. it will be worth your effort to locate a dealer that has the Burgman in stock.
I believe that was the first time anyone every called me normal -don't mind -just don't know what normal is :? :lol:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Rubble,
The first time I went to work on the Burger King, I got a couple of chuckles (I'm a correctional officer at a Level 2 facility), but when most of the riders found that they couldn't keep up - different story. 8)
Steve

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Paul, I guess maybe normal wasn't the right word. Everyone here seems to get along, help each other, and have fun. In the few hours I've spent browsing the posts, I've come to realize what kind of people the Burg's attract, the good kind! It seems that the people here are the people I like to hang out with, sensible with a lighter side.

The salesman was in his 40's that's what made me think it was wierd comment.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve,
That's one aspect of the Burgman I find to be so intriguing. It's really a sleeper. I read one story about some sport bike journalists being caught completely off guard in Italy when a Burgman blew by them in the twisities.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not too worried about finding a Burgman, the '05's are one thier way to the dealers, I'm just impatient.

Rubble

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome to BurgmanUSA! Normal is probably not a good adjective to use for us...comfortable, friendly, funny maybe. But most definitely NOT normal! Obviously you haven't had a chance to read any of NORMan's posts! (Click on Search at the top of the page and type in NormanB if you want to get the true pulse of BurgmanUSA!)

As far as being ridiculed...read some of the posts about Bike Week (aka Harley Time in Daytona Beach) the Harley guys LOVED the Burgman. I bet if you asked most would love a Twist 'N Go hog! (Well, maybe they wouldn't admit it but they might in an anonymous survey!)

Let the ride convince you...not the salesman.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that the salesman:

a. Knows next to nothing about the Burgman models
b. Has never ridden one any further than the dealership parking lot
c. Wanted to make you forget about the Burgman so that he could get a commission from selling you something else right now.

Which simply means that he fit the profile of many other sales people we have had to put up with. The dealership I bought mine from had a salesman who actually owned an AN650. They just couldn't keep them on the floor last Summer. Everytime one came in he'd sell it right away. Sadly, I haven't seen him there lately. I suspect he found himself a better job.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scuba Girl,

I'm not afraid of the intimidation in the least, after all I am a writing this on a Mac.

Rub

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Rubble said:
I'm not afraid of the intimidation in the least, after all I am a writing this on a Mac.
A sense of humor and willing to be different.... you'll fit in fine here. :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
pauljo summed it up. I looked at a St. Louis Suzuki dealership where the co-owner didn't believe in max scooters so they didn't stock any. It's a big Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki dealer which only had three small scooters on the floor. I went across town to a different Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki dealer which had Reflex models, Silverwings and Burg 400's on the floor. The salespeople had their personal preferences towards cruisers and sportbikes but encouraged me to sit on it, balance it, try it, asked me what type of expectations we had for it. They had the answers for me based on parameters of : the 120# wife must feel comfortable to balance it and ride it by herself, could ride two up and have enough speed and power to keep up on the interstate highways (65mph nominal), and had enough power to pull us uphills without bogging down. They, not just one salesperson, helped us make the right decision based on our expectations and needs in a bike. If what want we wanted would have lead us to a bulldozer or army tank I feel they would have honestly told us and steered us in that direction. They made a sale and we made a relationship with a dealer we feel we can trust. It was then just a matter of picking the color of Burgman. Brenda picked blue.
It makes a big difference whether a dealer has the mindset of "these things will never make" or if the dealer believes that these products fill a niche in the market and is willing to find out how and why. That dealer can't keep 'em in stock on the floor and the other dealer won't give 'em a chance.

Sometimes it's as simple as suggesting "Did you want fries with that?"

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hiya Rubble
You don't mention if your plans for xCanada are solo or two up.

To help you out, we do all our touring 2 up. Spent 5 days in France with a 52l Givi top box and the standard underseat storage, and 7 days in Devon (UK) with the addition of a humpbag.

For 150 litres of saddle bag space, check out "GIVI Saddle bag mounts" in this forum. Sorry, don't know how to link you, but you can put it in the search engine. The thread comes from Blueburgerbob in GrandForks, BC.

He had the plans available for the mounts for commercial hard saddle bags. They look really good, having seen them when we popped in to visit during a tour of the Rockies this last spring. Its worth a look at the thread and a PM to bbb.

The smoothness and comfort of the 650 are excellent. I could never ever get Gail to be happy on a clutch shift bike again.

Regards

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Welcome Rubble,
I went through some riducle that with a few my friends, but the dealer was great, he liked all 2 wheelers.
I have ridden with some of them since, and they keep looking at the bike, and make no comment.

I think they know I am more comfortable with what I have, then they are with what they have.

Me and my wife have done a few overniters, and have had plenty of room (with saddlebags). The ride was very quiet and very smooth, riding 2 up.

The only negitive, I can see of a scooter, is the smaller tires. The Burgman 650, as far as I know, does have the largest tires, which does help with the ride.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Barney :)

This is a difficult one isn't it! Don't you just wonder at sales people sometime who seem so proud of their inadequate product knowledge and come up with such crass statements.

However to be fair, this maxi scoot bracket is a new thing and particularly new in North America. Of all the maxiscoots, the Burgman 650 is probably the new paradigm. Leaving aside all of the merits and advantages of the Lardy the fundamental problem is the showroom floor and the sticker price and then looking around the 'real motorsickles' to see what the equivalent $$$ could purchase. That is EXACTLY what the uninformed purchaser does - sticks with what 'they know' and get as much of it as they can for his budget. The sales people just ape that behaviour, after all what is in it for them a sale is a sale.

Now then, this NORMAL thing. Never heard of it. :lol:

:evil:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My regular riding group now consists of 3 Yamaha sports bikes and 3 Harleys. On long rides I use my Burgman 650 and on short rides I sometimes take my Vespa ET4 150cc. I can beat one of the Harleys every time off the red lights on the Vespa. Yes, I said on the VESPA. Sometimes my husband leaves his Yamaha FJR1300 at home and rides the Burgman when I ride the Vespa. Everyone thinks the Burgman is great and they never worry if I can KEEP UP on a ride, they know I can.

I'd fix that salesmans butt by going back to the dealership and telling the owner that his salesman was trying to discourage me from buying what I wanted from the dealership. :twisted:

By the way, my computers are MACs and my car is a SAAB. as Steve Jobs says "THINK DIFFERENT". :wink:

Buy the Burgman and enjoy :D

Janine

·
Registered
146 Posts
Try coming to the island

Rubble:

Why don't you try hopping on the ferry and visiting Victoria? The Suzuki dealer is in Sidney, 5 minutes from the terminal: Savage Cycles. I just bought my 400 from there two weeks ago, and Colin (the owner and sales guy) certainly didn't steer me away from the Burgman.

Unfortunately, I bought the last one he had :bootyshake: so you'll have to find out when the 2005's are coming in. He did indicate that he has several 650's and 400's on order. Apparently they're selling like hotcakes around here! :D

Simon

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Sounds like the sales person suffers from "what others will think" syndrome. Personally, I don't really care what people think about me. I ride with a group that is 95% cruiser bikes and they all like the Burgman. They can't wait for the "newness" to wear off so they can try it. (btw, I just laughed at them)

I hope you get one soon!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I ride a Burgman with a groups on everything from Harleys to Hondas. It was the perfect choice for me. I love it and never get grief from other riders once they see the scoot in action. I have always followed my heart and never the crowd (I am typing this on my MAC). For what you want the Big BURG (aka Lardy) sounds perfect.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts