Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -
I have a 2003 Burgman 400 with 7K miles and my speedometer/Odometer just quit working. Everything else works fined (i.e. Tach, fuel, etc.). I read all the forums on fixing (gluing) the speed sensor back together and sure enough, mine was broke and I thought that would be it. However, once back together, I still do not have a working speedometer.

I've taken it apart to ensure it the speed sensor was properly mounted to the wheel slots, checked the cable from the sender to the connector under the shield and all looks good. I even took the sensor back out, thoroughly cleaned the magnet and sender to ensure it was free of dirt and debris but still not speedometer.

With all that I've read, it looks like the next thing to try is the sender unit. Does anyone know where is the best and cheapest place to buy a new speedometer sending unit? Does the sender unit come with the sensor and the cable?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
New sensor will run you about $150. Here is a link to the fiche for it on Park Shark. http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=300326&category=Scooters&make=SUZUKI&year=2003&fveh=7244

Before you buy one you might want to test yours. There is a procedure in the service manual but your will need a 10 ohm resistor, a 12 volt power supply and a multi meter.
It's pretty simple, you just hook everything up and read the voltage on the meter while you turn the wheel.

You unplug the sensor then hookup its wire as follows. The B/W wire to the - side of the power supply, O/R wire to the + side of the power supply, P wire to one side of the resistor and the other side of the resistor to the + side of the power supply. The meter goes on the 12 volt scale. The - side of the meter hooks to the P wire side of the resistor. The + side hooks to the power supply side of the resistor.

Once it's hooked up you turn the front wheel and check that the voltage varies from 0 to 12 volts.

It's also possible the rotor is still the problem. You could just order a new one and try it. That would be cheaper. However a new rotor comes with the sensor so you would end up with two if you still have to order a sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New sensor will run you about $150. Here is a link to the fiche for it on Park Shark. http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=300326&category=Scooters&make=SUZUKI&year=2003&fveh=7244

Before you buy one you might want to test yours. There is a procedure in the service manual but your will need a 10 ohm resistor, a 12 volt power supply and a multi meter.
It's pretty simple, you just hook everything up and read the voltage on the meter while you turn the wheel.

You unplug the sensor then hookup its wire as follows. The B/W wire to the - side of the power supply, O/R wire to the + side of the power supply, P wire to one side of the resistor and the other side of the resistor to the + side of the power supply. The meter goes on the 12 volt scale. The - side of the meter hooks to the P wire side of the resistor. The + side hooks to the power supply side of the resistor.

Once it's hooked up you turn the front wheel and check that the voltage varies from 0 to 12 volts.

It's also possible the rotor is still the problem. You could just order a new one and try it. That would be cheaper. However a new rotor comes with the sensor so you would end up with two if you still have to order a sensor.
Thanks Buffalo! That was my thought too. Order the rotor and if it doesn't work I would end up with two....but I would have a spare so not all that bad of an option. However, it is hard for me to believe that a magnet could go bad (rotor).

I found the entire sensor on www.ronayers.com for ~$77.00 so I may just bite the bullet and get the whole ball of wax. I will keep you posted as to what fixes it.

In the meantime, can you explain to me how the speed is calculated with a rotating magnet? I get the concept that the (rotor) magnet rotates and the sensor sends pulses back to the speedometer which registers your speed. However, I don't see anything in the rotor magnet that would indicate when the rotor had made a complete revolution. Shouldn't there be a notch on the rotor that would allow the sensor to determine when it has made a complete revolution (i.e. a complete turn)?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The instrument cluster microcontroller knows how many pulses the sensor generates per revolution of the wheel, two/rev for the 400, and as the tire size is also known it knows how many pulses per mile.

Input revolutions/mile (for cable driven instruments) and pulses/mile are common specifications for speedometers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Cliff. I get the pulse to the microcontroller for the cable-less system like I have. On my Burgy 400, the rotor has a magnet that is attached to a flanged plastic piece that spins the magnet when the wheel turns. My question is, is there a spot on the magnet that indicates a specific spot on the magnet that the sensor picks up to send a pulse to the microcontroller? I have looked and looked at the magnet and do not see any specific spot on the magnet. If it is indeed a solid magnet, how/when would the sensor know that the magnet has made a full revolution?

Thanks again for all the replies and help!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I never studied the magnet in the rotor to see just how it is made. It is obvious though that there must be a difference in it somewhere for the sensor to detect. Maybe it detects switches in polarity as the magnet spins.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Ah, I misunderstood your question. There are eight magnets in the rotor (I had it in my head there were two, but just checked the spare sensor I have); if you run a smallish steel rod around the rotor, holding it perpendicular as shown below, you can "feel" them:

They generate the eight pulses per revolution...

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Where do you get the rotor?
Look at the link on the post I made just above yours. It will take you to the fiche for the speedometer on Partsharks website. On it you can find the sensor and the rotor inside it. The whole sensor is item 19 and just the rotor inside it is item 21.

You can order the rotor from that site. Or you can use it to get the part number then look at other sites to see where you can get it the cheapest. Most of the online sites have a comparable fiche so you can also look it up there by model and year. You can also just order it from you local Suzuki dealer.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I found the entire sensor on www.ronayers.com for ~$77.00 so I may just bite the bullet and get the whole ball of wax. I will keep you posted as to what fixes it.
[/QUOTE]

Just be sure you order the 34990-14G00 or 34990-14G01 part number sensor. That is the one for the K3. The 34990-14G10 or 34990-14G11 part numbers are for the K4 to K6 models. This site is usually good about listing which part number goes with which years when there is a difference. http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/508c05b8f870020498e3698d/speedometer-an400k3-k4-k5-k6

Ron Ayers is the only one that appears to let you order the old 34990-14G00 part number instead of the updated 34990-14G01 that superseded it. They do discount it by about 1/2 though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buffalo, I believe I have a K3 but I'm not exactly sure. My bike was manufactured in 3/03 but nowhere in the manual or on the bike can I find K3/K4/K6, etc. What is the difference between these "K" models?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey all, I ordered a new Speedometer sensor from www.ronayers.com for $121 and some shipping. It came complete with the sensor, magnet, cable and connector. Put it on my bike and shazam, the speedometer and odometer are working correctly. Not exactly sure what went wrong with my old one but it all works now! Thanks again for all your assistance!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts