Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought after reading so much, for months, on the Burgman 650 that I would take an opportunity to see what everyone is talking about on this model . I decided to visit dealers, throughout my area, to actually see one in person.

I decided to use listed dealers, direct from the Suzuki factory site, as a guide to their locations.

My first visit was to a dealership that was 80 miles away that had actually advertised a 2003 model,at a savings. My contact with salesman included statements of " I have no idea what that is" . I then was recontacted by sales staff who stated " They say we keep mopeds on the north end!". I left after seeing no Burgmans in sight. :cry:

My second visit to a dealership ( another 40 miles away) ,was met with a reply from staff that they sell " REAL" motorcycles. I stood speachless for a few seconds and left. :?

My third contact was smaller dealership with the reply " Do you know how hard it is to sell one of those!" and " I had a Silverwing that I could not give away!". :x

Finally my last contact was with the smallest dealer that knew what I was talking about. He even replied " A nice bike!". He has sold one. But none in inventory ( granted his sales floor is small) and hopefully he would consider ordering another later on. :roll:

I had learned,today, that it pays to shop by phone to see if one is actually in stock. My feeling was that ,considering the distance I covered ,that I would certainly encounter at least one in inventory,but was unsuccesful. I went to dealerships listed, in towns ,of 40,000 to 150,000 in population.

Is this normal ,as is what is experienced by others here ??

Dennis :lol:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I took the name of the dealer from the Suzuki web site (95 miles) went there not even thinking to call first, I guess I was lucky he had 2,both were 650, but at least I got to sit on something. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The two big dealerships closest to me have sold quite a few Burgman's and some Silver Wings (Omaha, NE and Council Bluffs, IA). The third big dealership I've been too (Star City in Lincoln, Nebraska) had none on the floor, and both salesman I talked to there had no clue about Super Scooters.

We are going to run into this for awhile. These machines are a new category, and there are a lot of fairly closed minded traditionalist types in the motorcycle sales business. But many of the dealerships that have been more open minded about these machines are doing well with selling them - and that word will get around.

There are some positive steps that we can take too.

1. I take the time to explain the machine to the folks who walk up to look at it when I'm out riding it. Many have shown a lot of interest. If enough people stop into a dealership and request to see a Burgman, eventually even the dumbest dealer will get a clue that he is missing out on sales, accessory and service revenue by ignoring the category.

2. I talk the machine up to sales people, service managers, accessory managers, etc. at my own local dealership and at any dealership I visit. I let them know that I've ridden & owned many motorcyles, and that I consider my Burgman 650 to be a remarkable and very capable machine.

3. I have ordered a service manual, and I will carry it with me when I travel. Provided with a service manual, any Suzuki dealership should be able to perform a repair on the machine. If they decline to, or mess it up, I will not hesitate to call Suzuki USA and report them.

The Japanese have been building extremely reliable motorcycles for a long time. The chances of breaking down on the road are remote. Not impossible, but not at all likely. I do intend to tour on the Burgman this riding season.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Availablity

We have two suzuki dealers in the local area. Both have several Burgmans. The one I bought from had two 400's and one 650 still in stock last October. He didn't get them in until late in the year, sometime in July. He loves them, got a dozen each of the 400 and 650's this year, and has sold most of them. He still has two 650's left, both black.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you can't find one locally, call to dealers in larger cities and see if they'd be willing to sell you one and have it shipped to your local dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts