Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, either loath it or love it. It's all (the NASCAR season) about to start again. The pure American 4 wheel "Superbowl."
The Daytona 500.....
Big (relatively), push-rod V8s, no computers, hot rotors and bad aerodynamics.
Yup. An easy schedule (Just any lazy Sunday!)
F1? Sigh, if u gotta zillion bux and a small warehouse full of computer programmers....
Dodge "Chargers" are running again this year with young wheels at the helm. Some new rules too like a smaller restricter plates (on the super speedways) etc.
My fave has been Matt Kennseth, but darnit.....Dewalt tools may be looking elsewhere (but I always watch for him in the end.... - IF, that is, if he doesn't go too hot into the pits, screw up his markers, and pile into a bunch of stacked safety barrier tires. erg.)
Justathought to stoke the embers.
Remember when the cars were basically REAL?
I do.
Wave a flag and watch (at least the end) on Sunday. Who knows? There might be "the big one." (I always find the last ~30 miles veeery interesting - just wish those yip yap paddly whack hosehead commentators would shut the he_ _ up! - JIMMY JIMMY JIMMY! sigh.)

GENTLEMEN.... START.... YOUR.... ENGINES!

sorry - just a sorta rant! pedz

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sorry but I can't resist.

NASCAR is about as exciting as sitting along side a crowded freeway with an ice chest. I'd watch it if half the cars went in the opposite direction.

Xtreme NASCAR.

That said, it is a HUGE business, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I guess I more or less go along with Bleeder .. Could just never see going all those miles and never getting anywere :?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I kind of miss the banging of cars, then getting even, and the
eventual fights at the end of the race. The good ol' boys doin
that thang. You do see a good show on T.V. with FOX doing the
broadcasts. It's not as good a show when the other networks
cover it. Of course, if you're lucky enough to be AT the race,
with the tail gate partys and brat sandwiches (and a beer or two),
ooooweeee!

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
The race is only part of it, I really like to watch the pits. More races are won or lost there.

Oh, Matt Kenseth fan here (of course, a local boy)

·
Registered
925 Posts
I guess I'll be the first to say this here; I absolutely hate NASCAR. Never could understand sitting around for hours and hours watching cars go around in a circle. To each their own. 8)

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Personally I Hate watching Major League baseball, Spoiled millionaires playing a slow boring game. But I do like playing it, I guess it's just from a different perspective.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I agree with you on that Jim. These "professionals" may entertain us, but does that mean they should earn more money in one year than most people would earn in their lifetime? NO!! I agree they should receive a good salary, but today's athletes get paid ridiculous amounts. I say give them a lot lower salary, most of them make enough on pushing products to more than make up for it. But honestly, if they were true professionals, they wouldn't demand that kind of money.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
You have to admit, at least in NASCAR, only the top dogs make the big money. The rest all still make good money, but they they all still race smaller races and smaller tracks, because they love what they are doing. The people in the pits and the shops, can have as much say (or more), as to how well the driver does. It's like watching 42 different teams play, all at once.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Although I like racing in general, I rarely follow any of it closely enough to know which racers are what, and with whom - least of all NASCAR. It seems that as life goes on around me, however, I learn more about that particular racing than I ever wanted to know.

I do know one thing. It's reeeeeel exciting when you attend a NASCAR race in person. I was at the 25th Anniversary race in Daytona several years ago, and my wife couldn't get me to sit down for the first fifty laps or so. 8) What a hoot!

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still a relative "newbie" when it comes to Nascar. The stereotypical "don't like it" reply is what's been written here. If I had not learned about (over the last 3 seasons or so) the races within the race (like pit crew importance, or the points system), and didn't know some of the rules or drivers, I'd think it'd be boring also. But once you know what's going on behind the scenes, it becomes WAY more interesting (imo). It also helps if you've been a car nut all your life too.... :) I love all sorts of motorsports...Rally Racing (Paris to Dakar is priceless!), drag racing, and many other venues. Surprisingly enough, I like motorcycle racing about as much as baseball - which is mostly, uh, yawn... :wink: 'cept I do like trials riding, but that doesn't rx that much coverage here. I LOVE Nascar short tracks where tempers flare and brake rotors are glowing red, and at the end you have a half dozen cars circling the track on their last leg with the whole front end removed because it had been so badly smacked at one point during the race. Ahhhh, a 4 barrel V8, a stout 4 speed, a gigantic steering wheel all shoved up in your face, fire extinguishes al over the place, a big as_ tach...man...I can almost smell the high octane racing gas! Oh yeah...all of it sensed from an easy chair with an ice cold beverage!!! :p Still tho, I wish they'd can those stupid JIMMY-JIMMY-JIMMY-ding-dang-zippity-blang ex nascar hero commentators - oh well its like any other sport in that way... :( Goooo #17!
Here's a blast from the ol school past!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I'm not one for watching any sports. I'd rather be out playing rather than watching someone else having all the fun. About the only sports I've watched in years was my son playing tennis and my nieces playing basketball.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm with you, JD! I think NASCAR is plain boring. Besides, this is a two wheeled forum, doesn't anyone realize that there's motorcycle racing at Daytona too! Spring is just around the corner.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Ok I'm a Nascar fan as well. Not a diehard though. I won't set time out to purposely watch the races, but if I'm home I will tune in to watch. I love motorbike racing more though. GP or motocross and now supermotard its great.
In nascar go #15

For AMA the old man #17 Miguel Duhamel and for GP who can deny the riding brilliance of Valentino Rossi.

<---------------- AvataR Thats me :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've attended the motorcycle races at the Mid-Ohio and Pocono raceways several times. It is worthwhile to go and watch those guys (and occasionally a gal) ride. You've come away with a different (humbler) perspective of your own riding skills. I haven't followed it for some years now. At one time there was a gal riding for Motto Guzzi in the "Battle of the Twins" series, and she was good. Not sure if there are any female riders currently competing. I don't watch sports on TV at all, but I enjoy attending events. It is way different when you are there.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I work just a few miles from the Las Vegas Speedway. I can vouch for the popularity of the sport. I have to change my work schedule just to avoid the opening of the racetrack. I have NO desire to attend such an event. I'd rather watch boxing or ultimate fighting or Hockey (same thing).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts