Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to go to South Carolina to run the Tail sometime in May. Because I dont' get regular weekends off, I'll be actually taking a Monday or Tuesday to ride down, spend Tuesday or Wednesday riding the roads, and then riding home on Wednesday or Thursday. I haven't yet decided (actually, the schedule depends on how many people have already selected vacation time, and on what days) which days I'll go, but I'm hoping there might be others on this forum who might join me. Be thinking about it. I'll update when I know more.

Steve

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
What route you planning on taking Steve? If I can't go on the ride at the Tail of the Dragon, I might be able to meet you for part of the ride over.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dragon Ride

Hey I might be up for just such a trip let me know when as we get closer and I may see about joining you.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't even popped Streets and Trips in yet to check out the route, but I suspect that if I'm accompanied by others, it'll probably be more scenic. If I have to go alone, it'll likely be interstate.

Where are you Magyver? I used to live on the Illinois side of the Ill/Wis border, on the lake. Hope we can get together.

Steve

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dragon trip

where am I most of the time in a state of confusion. No realy I'm located about 10 miles south of Rockford on rt 72 between 251 and 39 look on a map and it is easy to find.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Map? (map?) What means this? Ohhhh. You mean that paper thing that people used to wad up and push into the glove box. Some kind of origami deal, right? Or maybe it's short for MapQuest? :D

Steve

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
wasions said:
Or maybe it's short for MapQuest? :D
No, no ,no. Mapquest is an online database of maps. Maps are those things you copy onto your laptop, Pocket PC, Palm handheld, etc. to have them with you. :roll:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dragon Trip

Ok I can see a road trip with you two could be real adventure. I'm not fussy as to the route we take or what days we go I have a job but set my own schedule so just let me know.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Could be fun. I normally don't use maps, a GPS, etc. Instead, I prefer the 'Zen method of navigation' (pick someone who looks like they know where they're going and follow them). You rarely end up where you want to be but often have some fun and surprising results. :)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know exactly when I'll be able to schedule the ride, but I should be able to choose within the next couple of weeks. The facility only lets three c/o's at a time off for vacation, and I have very little seniority, so I'll just have to take what I can get.

It looks like the trip there will be twice as long for me as for Bill, and twice as long for Magyver as for me. You're so lucky, Magyver! :D

I think we've got a couple of newer riders from the Louisville, KY area. How 'bout it, guys?

Steve

G

·
0 Posts
I have several factors that come into play for going on the trip. I don't currently have a ride, which is the biggest problem currently. :evil:
I do plan on getting a blue '05 650 this spring. It would depend on how soon I get my ride and the date of this trip. My Dad and I are going to Canada on a trip for a week too. So... I'll have to wait and see how things turn out for me to really say. I would love to go if I have the chance.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dragon trip

Ok just thought of something else :?: Do any of you that are thinking of going on this adventure have any radio comunication between bikes and if so what type I'm setup with FRS radio but may be able to have CB if given enough time to equip.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
None here. I do have a FRS and a handheld CB radio .... but no helmet rig.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not me.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Deals Gap is something I'd LOVE to do.
I'm on it. Lets go.
Email me Tallahasse. Let's try to get this gelled up.
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
sorry - not tallahassee. i meant Illinois!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We'd be happy to have ya, Pete. I'll post the details right here as soon as I get a date finalized.

Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know if I can go or not but I want to keep up with the plans on this trip. Sounds like a good ride. I have a c.b. radio shack walkie talkie mounted on my bike with a moto comm head set. I have had some problems with standing wave but currently have it working fairly well by using some tin foil around the bottom of the antenna to keep the headset from becoming part of the antenna. I've been thinking about mounting a c.b. window mount antenna on the right bottom of the clearview windshield but I haven't figured out what to do with the 17 feet of coax that comes with the antenna other then cut it off and I wonder what effect this will have.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It'd probably have a bad effect on the SWR if you cut it. Or at least it would have years ago, when I was into such things. Back then thecable lengths were set to some kind of "resonance". Nowadays, with modern gadgetry and new ways to bypass old problems, who knows?

You might try looking at "marine" antennas made for boats. They don't need a ground like auto-type antennas do. Years ago I planned to mount a CB on a bicycle, and that was how I figured to do it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
If I am lucky enough to get a Burgman early this spring, count me in too. Being just outside Louisville, this would be a good place for some of the "out west" riders to meet up on their way to Deals Gap. Let's see how lucky I can get :wink:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts