Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A warning for 650 owners!

I just finished replacing my CVT and several other sections on my 2012 650, because while sitting in my garage, critters (I assume mice) carried dog food I had stored in the garage and stored it inside the CVT and several other places in the bike and throughout the garage. It happened over several years, and I didn’t have a clue (riding it almost daily) until I first noticed the gears started slipping at relatively high RPM. Ultimately we took off all the Tupperware (a naked Burgman) and discovered Dog food in a variety of nooks and crannies of the bike but most surprising inside the CVT.

I also found dog food inside a variety of closed storage bins inside our garage, so clearly we had busy critters.

Anyway ... just a warning. I would never have guessed that could happen. But it did.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Something I've seen and read happening to every bike ever made. Well, not in the CVT since most don't have that but not surprising. Have read about it happening with Gold Wings, V-twin Harleys, Honda ST and many many other makes and models. Mice can get into the most surprising places with no apparent access. Hope you were/are careful when checking the air filter. That's a favorite hiding place for mice storing stuff and making a nest. If you pull the filter out you can end up with fluff and dog food dropping into the engine! Also, be sure to check wiring as you go through it since mice like chewing on the insulation.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
is there a a rent a cat company nearby? Mud wasps are the problem here,

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I had my recently purchased used Burgman in for an inspection a few weeks ago they found a plugged air filter because of mice. Now I throw moth balls on the ground where I park it. Also threw a few in the storage box...which the wife questioned when I brought home groceries the other day.

For years over the winter I've placed moth balls under the hood in my tractors. Mice can be a nuisance and destructive.

Moth balls are effective but I don't know how long they last so throw out a few more when you can't smell them anymore.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I've heard dryer sheets also work but haven't tried them in my bikes. But then again, I did put a few in my pop-up camper when I had that and didn't see any indication of a mouse presence in that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts