Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that I have consistently noticed is that it is pretty near impossible to get a good quality leather jacket that isn't plain old black -- unless, of course, you are willing to get into dirt bike clothing, which isn't my bag at all.

Another thing I have notices is that the most important factor in getting a motorcycle noticed by other drivers is the color of the rider's garb. Even if the bike is construction-cone orange, usually not that much of it shows from behind. But the rider's whole back is always apparent.

Thing is, when the back is clad in black leather, it is way less noticeable than it could be, so I am moved to ask:

1. Does anyone know of a source for well-made, bright-colored leather jackets?

2. Or does anyone have data on how to re-color the black jackets I already own?

3. Or a better alternative I have completely overlooked?

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Isn't Joe Rocket leather bright colored?
You could re-dye it but on black it may not be a great result to try to dye a bright color on top of it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Alpine Star and Teknic jackets also come in a variety of colours. At my motorcycle class we had a couple people with blue/white and red/white leathers. If you pop into any motorcycle shop, you'll see a pretty big collection.

I'm sure a shoe repair shop will have plenty of leather dies that would be suitable for your leather jacket.

Also, would you consider wearing a safety vest to wear over your jacket? I'm thinking of getting one for rainy days.

For our night rides, our instructors wore reflective arm bands.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've wrote to several magazines after seeing write-ups about leather jackets and asked why we cann't get leather in brighter colors and even fabrics - dark blue, black, dark red, or grey, nothing that really stands out except for the wild motorcross wear. The usual answer is that no one wants the cleaning costs of lighter colored jackets, even though the safety pros recommend it. That floresent green that you see more and more fire equipment painted is the most attention getting.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You can buy leather hides in different colors. They are used for automotive interiors, purses, etc. I'd suggest finding a leather coat manufacturer, and provide them the leather hide you want them to use.

My university department got a donation of leather scraps from a chair manufacturer once. I had a chance to go through the pieces, and noticed several fairly good sized once in black, red, white, tan, brown, and green. The next day we showed the box to the students. and encouraged them to find a piece to incorporate into their furniture designs in some way. A week later I noticed all the large black samples were missing. Within a few weeks I noticed the girls coming in wearing black leather vests, skirts, etc.. Later I'd see some leather purses too. We never did see any of that black leather on furniture products.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the advice. The REAL problem here is that I have a black jacket I am very fond of -- the classic, 'double breasted', silver studs and zippers, Marlon-Brando-in-The-Wild-Ones jacket. It is the perfect season extender here in the Northeast: heavy, warm, absolutely windproof. Maybe it's a little over the top for a scooter rider, but I love it just the same. But I wish there were a proven way to change its color. Alas, perhaps there is not.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Perhaps the answer is to Add to the Jacket you have..

I have a Darien from Aerostitch and they attach all sorts of things with Velcro...

And they use a Glue On type...

Perhaps you could install Black Velcro Strips along the Seams of the Back and have a Custom Colored Leather/Reflective Panel made that can be Velcro "Zipped" on and off as the conditions demand...Heck you could have a couple of different ones!!!

A BurgmanUSA, a Hells Angels, an Outlaws...}:~D

·
Registered
611 Posts
You can have an existing jacket re-dyed. I had a brown one re-dyed to black about 20 years ago. They clean the leather, dye it, then retreat it. They didn't even remove the lining to do it. I had mine done at a leather repair shop. I took it in to have elbow patches sewn on (I had a hole in one). The color was really blotchy - and they suggested redying it to hide the "road wear"...

·
Registered
346 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts