Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago 6 of us went on a ride from work for an "extended" lunch. We had bikes of all kinds on the ride and while I did catch a bit of kidding for riding a "scooter," they couldn't believe that I kept up with no problems.

But here's what I couldnt' get over. I can't make this up. Take a look.

One guy with a "Screamin Eagle" HD Heritage has to have his engine looked at because "It don't sound right, but heck, it's got 10,000 hard miles on it."

Second guy has a Honda Shadow that is not running right because of the aftermarket pipes and jet kit.

Third guy has a Suzuki Maurader with "the most God awful seat" and was complaining about his butt the whole time.

Fourth guy, has a brand new 05 Hayabusa, complained about catching too much wind on his chest

Fifth guy, Yamaha Road Star 1600, doesn't like the absence of a tachometer.

Sixth guy (ME), 04 Burgman 400, no complaints because he has

-An engine that will go more than 10K miles without a rebuild

-Fuel injection

-Big comfortable seat

-Nice windshield (With a Laminor Lip)

-And a tachometer, though with the automatic trans, who needs it?

I love my B400.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Good stuff.

Many of the cruiser guys at work are warming up to the Burger now, too. Now that the weather is nicer, and they're riding to work (I was riding a month ago), they're finding an 'up close and personal' look reveals a lot more than they'd convinced themselves I was riding. Last night I heard comments like, "Oh look, a little light in the trunk. HOLY COW! Look at the size of that cavern. I think I heard an echo!" (From a V-Rod rider)

How about, "Don't even think about racing him." (Honda 750 Shadow rider)

Or, "You don't worry much about your legs getting tired, do you?" And, "Look ma, no bugs!" (Intruder 800 rider)

Seems they thought I was just geeky. Well, they still think I'm geeky, but maybe also a real motorcyclist.

Ride what pleases you. It's all about the ride.

Steve

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy with the Harley told me that he simply could not believe that I was keeping up. At first they thought I should go first and lead to "set the pace' but I never had a problem. Now I was wide open a couple of times, but so was everyone else 'cept for the 'busa.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I took a "breakfast ride" yesterday morning with two good friends to a restaurant in PA Dutch country. After we parked the bikes at the restaurant we were shooting the breeze while stowing our riding gear on the bikes.
My friend on a BMW R1150RT was having a tough time trying to lock his helmet to the lock incorporated on a saddlebag handle (it took two of us to make it work). He also complained that he didn't have a compartment that would hold his sunglasses while he worked on the lock to keep them from sliding off his seat.
My other buddy was complaining about how tough it was to lock his helmet on his new Kawasaki Concours with the saddlebags partially blocking the locking device. He said it would sure be nice if he could fit the helmet in a saddlebag.
While they were struggling with their helmets and bags, their conversation turned to how they both modified their peg/shifter setup to make them more comfortable. They were pleased with their new arrangements and said how much easier they were to shift. They both compared notes on how tough it was sometimes to locate neutral and how embarrassing it is to start off in 2nd gear when they think they are in 1st gear. (These are the same two guys who always tell me how much fun shiftng is).
While all of this activity was going on, I had quietly and quickly stored my helmet, jacket and gloves under the 650's seat and was enjoying a few puffs on my pipe. So, not being one to rub salt in wounds, I tapped them both on the shoulder and just pointed to my Burgman and said, "there's a solution to your problems, guys!". They both grinned and mumbled something like "shut up".

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Don,

A tip for your Concours riding friend. I bought my Concours used. The prior owner had relocated the helmet locks to the license plate bracket area in the rear of the bike. They worked great there, whether the side cases were on or off.

I love smoking a pipe. It is all that I smoke these days, thank goodness. I've never carried one on the scooter though. No reason I couldn't I guess. Might have to try that this Summer when the length of my rides increases.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
pauljo said:
Don,

A tip for your Concours riding friend. I bought my Concours used. The prior owner had relocated the helmet locks to the license plate bracket area in the rear of the bike. They worked great there, whether the side cases were on or off.

I love smoking a pipe. It is all that I smoke these days, thank goodness. I've never carried one on the scooter though. No reason I couldn't I guess. Might have to try that this Summer when the length of my rides increases.
Thanks, Paul. We talked about that yesterday. I just called him and he's going to remove one of the locks and relocate it where you suggested.
I always carry my pipe and "Captain Black" in a glove compartment. I really enjoy it during breaks.
Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts