Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the last weeks I took some long distance journeys with the Burgman to feel the spring.
On the last week we went down to the Dead Sea and then Back to Jerusalem. Most of the way is uphill with heavy traffic and a lot of stop and go with two people onboard. When we arrive to Jerusalem I felt a bad smell coming from the scooter. The oil and coolant where OK. A friend told me it is from the variator. Later on the smell disappeared and the scooter runs normally. Does anybody knows something about such phenomenon ?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bendi, it was probably the belt getting pretty hot and it produces a burnt rubber smell...not overpowering...but that sort of odor. When I've been on a hard ride and stop in my garage I particularly notice it. Only lasts for a short time.

Used to get the same thing with my Honda Reflex.

I'm told I have a nose like a bloodhound as I smell things that others don't.
Maybe you, too, are in the bloodhound group. :lol:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ted I smelled the same thing on my 400. I thought that the foul oder was due to it being new and that it was just burning off some excess oil. But the belt sounds about right as I now have 821 miles on it. Hopefully my belt will not burn through while I am on the road!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ted, we tend to have a selective nose.

But this one was strong enough for my wife to feel also she is sensitive to burning cakes usually :)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I smelled it on mine early on and I now have over 9K on it, so I don't think it indicates wear, merely heat buildup on the belt, and its made to take it.

I only ride one-up but I guess that with two on board the extra weight puts more strain on it too. Bendi...you may have to go on a diet! :roll:

Just remembered that my old Helix's had the same odor.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I had the glimpse of a sulfur (rotten eggs) smell for a moment after a long ride. It had to be the sulfur in the gas used at that fillup. If your smell is like rotten eggs it's the exhaust/gas. If it's a burnt cake (wait, cake has eggs in it!) it might still be the exhaust/gas or it could be someone spilled some cake on a hot part of your engine.

Just a thought.

Dave B.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts