Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - I know I may get jumped on for this but here goes....

On this (and a few other forums) I keep reading these stories about the Harley guys and their attitude to our Burgmans (or Yamahas, Hondas, etc.. Depending on forums).

Well, I ride about 10 - 15,000 miles a year and run into a ton of Harley riders and have NEVER experienced some of the stuff I keep reading about. Just today, I went for a long 300 mile ride and stopped a few times for coffee, and of course donuts!! On one stop, there were about 12 bikes, almost all Harleys and the riders were stereo-typical Harley guys - beards, tats, shaved heads etc. I parked right beside them, got off, said hello, nice day for a ride and went in for coffee. Came back and had a great visit with these guys.

Now here is where you folks may hang me.

I sometimes wonder if we Burgman riders may occasionally give off an unconscious attitude that is picked up by other riders? I say this because I have ridden into "Harley" gatherings riding anything from a 49cc Honda to a Harley to now my Burgman 650 and again, never have I had an issue as described on some of these threads.

Dunno - just a weird thought I had when I read the most recent "Harley" post.

Okay - ready for the beating!!!:D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks, having ridden many miles over the years on different brands, have found I have no problem meeting and enjoying the camaraderie, conversation and meeting interesting riders. After all, we've all got friends we haven't met yet. Best way to have a conversation is to listen. Have camped many times at Falcon Reservoir near Mission and enjoyed visiting the small town across the dam.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
The Jersey shore is hard core Harley Land and that's fine. I pretty much get some fingers (good fingers) during the summer from lone riders out here who lay their bikes up for the winter and see me cruising around in 20 degree weather. They respect a little die hard attitude, but not from HD groups-as if I care anyway. When I went down on my GL1500 Gold Wing and was laying on the ground catching my breath, I saw 7-10 Harley riders pass me right up. They just looked over at me and kept going. If they had a leader he might have thought it was to dangerous to pull them over to help out. That is what I choose to believe. If size of the bike had anything to do with it, mine was bigger than any of theirs...just the wrong make I guess. There is no 2 wheel brotherhood out here really. It is as fragmented as the Middle East. Just sayin'

·
Registered
677 Posts
On this (and a few other forums) I keep reading these stories about the Harley guys and their attitude to our Burgmans (or Yamahas, Hondas, etc.. Depending on forums).

Well, I ride about 10 - 15,000 miles a year and run into a ton of Harley riders and have NEVER experienced some of the stuff I keep reading about.
I think I have gotten it once or twice, but I really do not care. I don't avoid the Harley folk. I met a few today, and they were friendly.

Just today, I went for a long 300 mile ride and stopped a few times for coffee, and of course donuts!! On one stop, there were about 12 bikes, almost all Harleys and the riders were stereo-typical Harley guys - beards, tats, shaved heads etc. I parked right beside them, got off, said hello, nice day for a ride and went in for coffee. Came back and had a great visit with these guys.
Fits with my experience, for the most part.

Now here is where you folks may hang me.
Nah, not worth the trouble. :)

I sometimes wonder if we Burgman riders may occasionally give off an unconscious attitude that is picked up by other riders? I say this because I have ridden into "Harley" gatherings riding anything from a 49cc Honda to a Harley to now my Burgman 650 and again, never have I had an issue as described on some of these threads.

Dunno - just a weird thought I had when I read the most recent "Harley" post.

Okay - ready for the beating!!!:D
Maybe a different kind of snobbery? Could be. Humility is a good quality to have. I know there have been times when I have projected an air of superiority, and I regret those times. Sometimes it is a matter of the other person's feeling of inferiority, and it's difficult to do anything about that.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well, I ride about 10 - 15,000 miles a year and run into a ton of Harley riders and have NEVER experienced some of the stuff I keep reading about.
You'll get no beating from me. We have plenty of Harleys down here, ridden by both RUBs and 1%ers with plenty of folks riding non-Harley cruisers and dressing up like pirates.

I have never once gotten any grief for any bike I've been riding, including my Burgman 650. Not everybody waves, but traffic is pretty crazy down here and I don't hold it against anyone. Sometimes you have to pay attention to the road. But plenty of folks DO wave - even those 1%er folks.

I'm not a social rider; I haven't been to any of the local Bike Nights in years, but the folks I meet in parking lots and such are all perfectly friendly. Perhaps it's because I'm not the slightest bit defensive about the Burg - "How fast is she? She'll do a buck twenty if I took off the windshield - she's a 650 after all! And yes, she gets me a pretty steady 53mpg." Far from sneering, everyone wants to know more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have camped many times at Falcon Reservoir near Mission and enjoyed visiting the small town across the dam.
Its quite a decent spot - for the price. I'm always pleasantly impressed at the cost of living down there - then the eye opener when I get back to Ontario - sheesh!!!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I sometimes ride with my buddy and his big ol' Harley, he says a lot of times he don't get " the wave" either. It does put a smile on my face when I do get one back. I think it's a case of guys who just don't do it, not the bike.
I've pulled into places with Harley's with my Zuma plenty of times and got an expected smile and giggle, but that's it, I'm/it's no threat to them. A crotch rocket maybe a whole different story though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The story might change if your trying to get their girl . . . .

·
Registered
753 Posts
The story might change if your trying to get their girl . . . .
Not me. Most of the "girls" that ride with them I wouldn't want on the back of my bike anyway. They don't look like the girls that you see on the cover of Easy Rider magazine. More like "Bigfoot Monthly". I don't want my women to look like they are a contestant in the ring of a WrestleMania event.

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
The only attitude I get (very little) is from BMW riders and other non B650 scooter riders. :confused:

I even had other Harley / Cruiser riders during a poker run shutting down a BMW rider for being an ass.

I hate to say it, but, I find more arrogance among scooter riders than Harley Riders.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I don't get an attitude from any other riders. Occasionally get some from high school or college students (non of the are on bikes at the time) but who cares. In fact I think it is rather funny getting **** about what I ride from someone not on a bike.

I do have other riders asking a lot of questions about my Burgman. At a rally I will draw a crowd.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Not me. Most of the "girls" that ride with them I wouldn't want on the back of my bike anyway. They don't look like the girls that you see on the cover of Easy Rider magazine. More like "Bigfoot Monthly". I don't want my women to look like they are a contestant in the ring of a WrestleMania event.
I hear a bunch of them are swinging by Emmett on their way home from Sturgis. You'll get to tell them this to their faces. :D

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Never had a problem with other riders putting down my Burgman. Most comment "that's not a scooter" :confused:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
These are my needs and requirements for a bike: VERSATILITY: can run at speed on the open highway; can easily handle sweeping curves, tight twisties and hairpin mountain switchbacks, easy to ride for in-town errands. Comfortable for 2-Up. PRACTICALITY: can carry a lot of stuff, 50+ mpg. JOY: it's the ride, the roads and the destinations that thrill me and give me a sense of accomplishment, adventure and pride, not the machine itself. I'd much rather talk about where I've traveled than what I ride. My favorite reaction from a 'heavy iron' rider is "you rode there on that?!?" FUN: it has to be a blast to ride to the market or the mountains. It has to be a bike I'm eager to ride every day.

My guess is HD riders have different priorities, but I assume FUN is also up there at the top.

The worst thing a HD rider ever did to me was not return a wave.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I hear a bunch of them are swinging by Emmett on their way home from Sturgis. You'll get to tell them this to their faces. :D
Oh, let them come. We have a lovely park here with plenty of foliage. They will have many trees to choose from in which to swing. :laughing7:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just got rid of my Harley Roadking and bought a used 650 Burgman and things have definitely changed regarding how I'm perceived. How do I know? Well, I don't get invited to go along on day rides, I don't get the waves (that doesn't bother me), friends make patronizing comments, little things like that. Because I've absolutely fallen in love with the Burgy and the way she rides, I kinda feel superior to the Harley riders and their petty attitudes. By the way, the Goldwing crowd is just a bad in their disdain for the Burgman - the whole phenomenon would make a decent Masters thesis. Interesting to watch.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Jimfrompa makes a good point. Perhaps not rude to your face, would most HDers ever consider a scooter an equal? Worthy of riding with them? I once joined a group of mostly HDers and although there wasn't anything wrong per se, there certainly wasn't anything right either.

Not many welcomes. No one asked me about my bike, in fact they looked at it like it smelled like bad cheese. No one would walk near it, presumably for fear of getting their picture taken next to a scooter. The leader criticized my riding in front of the group. I was told to ride in the back. Their point, although not outright rude, was perfectly clear; you don't belong here.

Be that as it may, I know the opposite is also true. An HDer probably wouldn't feel very comfortable in my scooter group. BUT then again, no HDer has ever asked to ride with us. Wonder why?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts