Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been googling of late to find the difference between the Bridgestone Hoop 150/70S-13 (for the Silverwing) and the 150/70-13 G (for the Burgman) ... that is some difference besides the ~20% price premium for the G spec. I sent an inquiry to Bridgestone and just received a call from Bridgestone tech support.

First off, the guy I talked to allowed as how they primarily dealt with car tires (there's a shock). It took him a bit of rummaging through several spreadsheets to find info on both tires. He told me he couldn't send out the spec sheet but was happy to read off the differences he could see. Here they are:

Spec.......................G Spec.........Not G Spec
Item #.....................113382..........157279
For........................Brgmn 400......Silverwing
OD............................20.4".............21.4"
Sidewall......................5.1"...............5.9"
Org Tread Depth.........8/32".............9/32"
Weight.....................13.5#.............13.1#
Max Pressure.............32psi..............36psi

I mentioned that although he probably wasn't involved with retail prices it seemed odd that the "smaller" tire commanded a higher price. He didn't really have an answer but he concurred that the best explanation is simply that the different tires are built to the different manufacturer's specs. He went on to say that his spreadsheet did not have all the info he's used to seeing for car tires, e.g., tire compound. There may be another clue to the difference in the fact that though the "G" is a smaller tire, it weighs more.

He closed by saying that if I had any more questions, I could call them at 800-847-3272, their Tech Support line. However my guess is that unless you speak Japanese and want to make an international call, you're not going to get much more information on their bike tires. They simply don't deal with them that much.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
i posted this on your thread on the Maxi-scoot board but I will repost it here if anyone is interested.

I have been doing some more research on these two tires and I found this PDF of specs for Bridgestone tires on a European link.

http://www.eurotred.com.au/lib/pdf/2012MotorcycleDataBook.pdf

It has some info that might help explain the difference. The spec sheet indicates the Burgman tire is designed to mount on a 3.5 inch rim width and the Silverwing mounts on a 4.5 inch rim width.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice find, Buffalo. To save someone from downloading the (large) catalog, here's the excerpt of interest. Interesting that some of the info herein does not agree with what the tech guy provided. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I think it's still relevant.

I received a B02 non-G tire and am wondering if the differences are enough to warrant returning it. I might make use of it anyway, or get a replacement (depending on what the seller says). According to the specs from Bridgestone it doesn't seem too far off from the Burgman OEM "G" tire.

There is very little difference in the tread depth, and the overall diameter is +25.4mm on the non-G. Of course, no information about tire compound.

There is another thread on here with a lengthy argument, but not conclusive I think. Thoughts?

·
Registered
244 Posts
How can tires with different sidewall dimensions have the same 150/70 specification?

I have always replaced my scooter's rear tire with the same Hoop. Suzuki must have a reason to always use them as OEM.

Off topic: Did you make that avatar yourself? I've never seen another like it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Bridgestone Chart shows that the Burgman 15/70-13 "G" Hoop has a 32 max PSI yet Suzuki recommends up to 35 PSI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts