Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

At Motorcycle.com we strive to research and test all of the latest bikes and gear. Over the past two decades, our experienced staff has developed a keen sense of quality and a critical eye for proper functionality. Because helmets are easily the most crucial safety item for any rider, we wouldn’t even consider riding without one, and since we spend so much time testing motorcycles all over the world we tend to spend a lot of time inside a lot of different helmets.

This experience has helped us understand what makes a truly great helmet. Although it may seem obvious to the most experienced riders out there, we also realize that picking the best helmets out of today’s large sea of choices may not be so easy for everyone else. It is for that very reason that we’ve prepared this guide to help you pick the best helmets for your riding lifestyle.
Read more about The Best Motorcycle Helmets at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
40 Posts
wow really $800 for a helmet? I could barely afford $2800 to buy my used burgman. I know that safety is important but I would NEVER buy an $800 helmet. These motorcycle "experts" don't live in the real world. I will keep my Jafrum half helmet until I can afford a entry level modular. thanks

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
wow really $800 for a helmet? I could barely afford $2800 to buy my used burgman. I know that safety is important but I would NEVER buy an $800 helmet. These motorcycle "experts" don't live in the real world. I will keep my Jafrum half helmet until I can afford a entry level modular. thanks
*shrug*

I have the Schuberth C3 Pro. Paid $769 for it at Revzilla. I don't mind at all spending money on a quality piece of safety equipment that is comfortable, quiet, and used every time I ride my motorcycle. It's money well spent, and figured on a per month or per year basis, it's cheap. I've had it for 39 months now. That works out to less than $20/month (and dropping every month I have it). I figure my brain is worth at least that much. By the time I have it for the five years I expect to have it, the cost will be down to under $13/month.

How much are you paying per month for your cell phone, cable TV bill or home phone bill? I bet it is a lot more than $20/month.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It seems to me that if I wear a DOT rated helmet - which is the standard in America, than protection is a given. You obviously get what you pay for(general quality) but the crash protection in the USA is a minimum based on DOT standards. An $800 helmet does not protect you 8 times better than a $100 helmet, it just doesn't, you want it to, but it doesn't. I am admittedly very cheap and do not have a lot of discretionary dollars but I just cant see it. And I love the argument "if you have a $100 brain get a $100 helmet."

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well, here's what I know about bicycle helmets- cheaper helmets actually afford *better* protection than the more expensive ones- the reason is that they all have to meet the safety standard, and the more expensive ones are engineered to *just barely pass*, where the cheaper ones are engineered to pass in all cases- over engineered so to speak. In bicycle helmets, the lighter and better ventilated helmets are the more expensive ones, and also protect your noggin less in general (because they have less structural material and have more holes in them).

If it meets the safety standard, it meets the safety standard. More expensive is just more expensive. Maybe it's quieter or lighter or more comfortable or has better graphics, and those are fine reasons to spend more, but you can't say that it will necessarily be safer than a cheaper helmet.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It seems to me that if I wear a DOT rated helmet - which is the standard in America, than protection is a given. You obviously get what you pay for(general quality) but the crash protection in the USA is a minimum based on DOT standards.
All well and good, but who really wants to ride with the "minimum" safety certification of their helmet? Personally, all my helmets meet the Snell certification which for impact protection and energy absorption is a full 25% better than just DOT.
http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/dot
And that doesn't even address the fit/finish/quality of better helmets vs the cheapos.
I hope never to find out the ultimate protection of the helmets I wear, but it's nice to know it's there.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It seems to me that if I wear a DOT rated helmet - which is the standard in America, than protection is a given. You obviously get what you pay for(general quality) but the crash protection in the USA is a minimum based on DOT standards. An $800 helmet does not protect you 8 times better than a $100 helmet, it just doesn't, you want it to, but it doesn't. I am admittedly very cheap and do not have a lot of discretionary dollars but I just cant see it. And I love the argument "if you have a $100 brain get a $100 helmet."
No one claims a $800 helmet provides 8 times the protection of a $100 helmet.

A helmet offers protection, and also has features. You can pay for one, the other, both, or none. You'll get what you pay for.

Why buy a burgman 400 when you can tool around on Honda Metropolitan? They both can be used to ride around. One has more features than the other

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
Price and protection do not always go hand and hand. For example look at the site Bluebottle linked to and compare the Schuberth C3 Pro that Alaska Guy paid $769 for to the Nolan N91 Evo I just bought from MotorcycleGear for $324. The N91 ranked 4 stars on impact protection and the chin guard stayed locked in 100% of test. The C3 rated 3 stars on impact protection and the chin guard stayed locked in 97% of test.

As for the Snell vs DOT vs ECE debate. There is no universal agreement as to which standard is best. Do a little internet searching and you will see that the debate is on going. Here is just one site that talks about the differences between the standards. http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs-ece-r22-05-helmet-standards-throwdown/

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The N91 ranked 4 stars on impact protection and the chin guard stayed locked in 100% of test. The C3 rated 3 stars on impact protection and the chin guard stayed locked in 97% of test.
Which matters if ALL you care about is protection.

If you could buy a helmet that is proven to provide 100% in all circumstances and sells for only $20, but weighs 50 lbs, smells like cat piss, and only comes in hot pink, is it something you're going to buy, or are you going to pay more for a helmet that may provide less, yet still adequate protection, but weighs a lot less, comes in a colour you like, and doesn't smell like cat piss - even though it may cost more?

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
Which matters if ALL you care about is protection.

If you could buy a helmet that is proven to provide 100% in all circumstances and sells for only $20, but weighs 50 lbs, smells like cat piss, and only comes in hot pink, is it something you're going to buy, or are you going to pay more for a helmet that may provide less, yet still adequate protection, but weighs a lot less, comes in a colour you like, and doesn't smell like cat piss - even though it may cost more?
Agreed but all I was commenting on was the relationship between cost and protection and that they do not always go hand in hand.

BTW I tried the C3 and it's shape does not agree with my head shape so it was not very comfortable for me. It was lighter than the N91 though. I bought the N91 Evo Ammersee which comes in a white base color with black and carbon fiber accents that I found attractive. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/view_product_images/8958

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I got the C3 Pro because it is widely considered to be the quietest flip-face helmet available. It got bonus points for being comfortable, availability of the SRC, it's chin strap function and ease with which visor can be removed.

I didn't give any considering to protection issues, since it meets the relevant standards.

I didn't give any consideration to cost either, since over the expected 5 year useful life of the helmet, the monthly cost is less than I would spend on lunch for two at Chick-fil-A.

Coincidentally, my previous helmet was a Nolan flip-face helmet. I didn't like it much at all.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
After a dozen years of wearing perfectly fine sub $200 Scorpion full face helmets. I recently bought my first 'premium' lid- a Shoei Neotech modular, for $520. Is it worth it? Oh yeah, it's worth it. But only if it's in your budget. If it's not, don't give it a second thought - what you've got is protecting your melon just fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The seller doesn't appear to sell the Nolan 104, or any Nolan, so therefore has not listed it as a good safe helmet. Maybe he should have said his lists are the best of helmets he sells, not the best out of all that are out there.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
The seller doesn't appear to sell the Nolan 104, or any Nolan, so therefore has not listed it as a good safe helmet. Maybe he should have said his lists are the best of helmets he sells, not the best out of all that are out there.
You're right. The 'article' is just shopping click-bait.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts