Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the bike out for a ride yesterday and it started raining.
I get to a stop light. Everything is fine. I'm enjoining not having a rain suit, then I go to take off and the bike shuts off.
I pull off the side of the road, go to turn it over and it starts up with no problem.

Let's cancel out that I may have accidentally hit the kill switch.

I'm on 850 miles and am waiting to get my 600 service next week.
Could that have soemthing to do with it?

I have no idea. Also those grips get awful slick in the rain.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
A couple of things here. To me "shut off" and "die or killed" are two different ways I describe an engine going silent. If it was idling ok, but died when you gave it throttle, or the clutch kicked in, I call that died. If it was idling ok, no burbling, or sputtering, and it just shut off, that could be a tough trace, as it is probably an intermitant short from the rain.

850 miles on original oil is not good. It picks up aluminum shavings (as it is supposeto) and redistributes them elsewhere. In the engine (provided the filter is not plugged and bypassing yet) it can still be transferred by the cam chain to other metal surfaces and redeposited. This causes them to get tight and puts a very bad strain on the engine. It also causes hot spots. When the filter plugs from all the fines ground off the parts when they are breaking in, the filter bypasses as a last ditch effort to keep oil going to the engine. The engine starts pumping steel and aluminum shaving to all the delicate surfaces in the engine, and really puts a load on the engine.

I'm not familiar if the transmission is separate on the 400. If it is, there is no filter on that oil. My 650 was very dirty at the initial change.

If the engine idle rpms are too low, the engine might idle ok, just very slow, and can die when you add gas. Engine can't accelerate fast enough from its slow speed and drowns in the extra gas. Resetting the idle is also part of the 600 mi service, and is also pulled down by dirty oil causing lots of friction in your engine. A really dirty engine is doing all it can to keep running and adding the load of the clutch can kill it.

Do the service now, no more riding.

If you still have problems when it is wet. If you are inclined, strip the plastic off and put your bike in the dark and start it up. (nighttime, not a closed up garage, it will kill you). Spray water on the ignition parts (plug, wire, coil) and look for blue lightning. You might have a leaky boot or a wire that got nicked, etc. that is shorting in the rain. This is very unusual on a new bike, more common on an older bike with cracking boots and wires.

Sorry for the long post, but I want your ride to be a long one.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I agree with Paul - my money is on the idle set too low and with a hot engine it fell off the plot. Your overdue service will rectify that. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
When my 04 was new, the idle was set too low, but only a little. It was weird, the bike would idle fine on Shell Gasoline, albeit at an out of spec 1000-1100 RPM. But if I put Citgo gas in it, the bike would putt...putt. puuttt...puck and die right like that.

Now I have it set up above 1300RPM and, because of my experience, try to run Shell whenever I can.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'd bet a nickle on water shorting out something. I've had it happen on
motorcycles especialy with water in the ignition slot. After it dries out
the bikes ran okay.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
gruntled said:
the bikes ran okay.
Is a nickle worth much these days? :lol:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
NormanB said:
gruntled said:
the bikes ran okay.
Is a nickle worth much these days? :lol:
Five times a penny, which won't buy you very much. Even a stick of penny gum is about 25 cents nowadays. :roll:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My nickel is on the idle/gas. It's possible for a short to have caused it but I doubt that was the cause. Judging from posts I have read on these forums along the same lines, the low idle condition is a more likely scenario (and easier to fix! :)). K.I.S.Stu

·
Registered
367 Posts
I agree with Paul and others who have suggested the idle speed. The first day I had my 400, I drove it 85 miles home from the dealership. A few hours after we got home, I let my partner take it out for a test to see if she too would like that bike or the Aprillia Atlantic. I was following in the car (going to eat). Everything seemed fine until we came to a stop light that held an unusually long time. She continued to sit there in front of me at the green. It happened again at the next light. I was puzzled by the time we reached our destination. When I asked why the delay, she said the bike died at each light, just as she was giving it throttle to take off. I was terribly upset - how could my new baby be a dud?

When we got home (I rode it back), I checked the manual under "Idle Speed" and found the recommendations for proper running. I checked mine on a warm engine - barely 1000 RPMs. Good directions in the book on how to adjust, so a couple turns of the screw and I was at 1300 - 1400. No problems since.

Hil had the same problem when we picked up hers the next weekend in Louisville. We had to stop before leaving town, put her on the center stand and do a quick adjustment. No more trouble.

Now that we have both had our 600 mile service, I expect no other issues as they adjust the idle speed at that service.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted on the problem. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts