Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's here! The 2012 Fall Mid Atlantic Rally (MASR) joined by the 2012 Mid Atlantic Spyder Ryde will be held on September 21st, 22nd and 23rd. 2012. Our rally headquarters for our Fall Event is back at the Hollander Motel, 320 E. Main Street, New Holland PA. Be sure to make your reservations as soon as possible. Other lodging options are listed on our web site
All departures (Check Activities Schedule under Events link on our web site.) will be made PROMPTLY FROM THE HOLLANDER MOTEL Be sure to have a full tank of fuel in advance!

Registration and the ride events are free however, registration is required at our web site (http/www.midatlanticscoot.com)
or (http://www.midatlanticspyder.com) if you plan to attend one of our organized rides for Saturday or Sunday. Details for the Fall Events will be posted there shortly. A signed liability waiver form is also required to participate.

Our Rally has it's roots in the Maxi Scooter Community and more recently our "cousin" the Can Am Spyder RT/RS Roadster but, all are welcome to join. Scoot Trike or Bike however, we do recommend engine displacement of 150cc and larger for the rides which contain hills and catch-up however, we will strive to accommodate all participants.

For this Fall we are instituting some significant changes:

1. MEALS

a. There wil be only one formal meal--that is the Saturday (Sept.22nd) dinner at Yoder's Family Restaurant 14 S. Tower Road, New Holland PA 17557. All registered attendees are requested to be at this dinner. We will ride as a group to Yoder's departing the Hollander Motel @ 6:15 PM that evening for seating @ 6:30 in the Banquet Hall.

b. Attendees may utilize any of the many restaurants in the vicinity of New Holland for dinner on Fri. 21st, breakfast on Sat 22nd. and breakfast on Sun. 23rd.

2. RIDES

a. All organized event rides will depart PROMPTLY from Rally HQ at the Hollander Motel @ 10:00 AM on Saturday the 22nd. and @ 11:00 AM on Sunday the 23rd. Saturday/Sunday rides will be broken into smaller groups as appropriate. We will have two pre-ridden scenic rides for all capabilities of riders.

b. Those attendees who may wish to ride the area independently may certainly do so. Please note: These rides are not sanctioned by the event.

SO PLEASE JOIN US FOR OUR FRIDAY MEET AND GREET, TWO ORGANIZED RIDES THROUGH THE PENNSYLVANIA AMISH COUNTRYSIDE.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey Will and Paul

Looking forward to the Rally :thumbup: and sailing into the "Uncharted Waters" of the new structure of the MASR.... :cheers:

How soon will the Mid-Atlantic website be updated or are all the same motels in the game???? :?:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sean is working on updating the web site and should be finished this week. All current motels are active and I will be posting various dining locations shortly and hope to include them on our web site as well.

Paul is presently having difficulty with access to the Forum and is working on the problem. I will be answering all queries in the meantime until the problem is solved.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Will

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
The mainpage and events pages have been updated on the website, ride routes and map packs should be following in the next few weeks. As for lodging, I haven't had any changes to the listings requested as of yet so they are currently up to date.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Because of something beyond my control I might still be here in September, if I so I might attend the Saturday night dinner.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Following are some dining location choices for the Rallies:

THE PANDA GARDEN
Very good Chinese Buffet
Reasonable cost
Located in mini-mall across from The Comfort Inn on Main.

New Holland Family Restaurant
Located at West End of town on Main.

Boswell's Family Restaurant
Located at West end of town on Main.

The Pub
Spirits and dining.
Located at East end of town on Main.

The Squire Side Restaurant
Located at East end of town on Main (Adjacent to Squire Side Motel)

The Town Hall Restaurant
Located at East end of Blue Ball on RT. 322
Adjacent to the Blue Ball Fire Co.

Palermo's
Very good Pizza and Subs
Located mid town on Main

Subway
Located at West end of town on Main (In Mini Mall)

Mc Donalds and Wendy's
Located at West end of town on Main.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Will & Paul:

Sounds like a great rally. Unfortunately, I have to move my daughter into college quarters that weekend.

Also, my apologies to Greg and Jim as I was looking forward to riding down to the Rally with the NBST contingent.

Everyone, have a wonderful weekend and a great ride!

Vince

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whitewater said:
Will & Paul:

Sounds like a great rally. Unfortunately, I have to move my daughter into college quarters that weekend.

Also, my apologies to Greg and Jim as I was looking forward to riding down to the Rally with the NBST contingent.

Everyone, have a wonderful weekend and a great ride!

Vince
Again, we will miss you. Congratulations :cheers: on your daughter entering college. Gosh, how quickly the kids grow up.

Will

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Hello everyone;
Patti and I will be arriving sometime Friday afternoon. We will be staying at the Country Squire this trip, but we are looking forward to spending plenty of time floating to all the hotels to say hi to all of our good friends.

See you all soon. :thumbup:

Mitch & Patti

·
Registered
500 Posts
Legion_Rider_28_DE said:
Hello everyone;
Patti and I will be arriving sometime Friday afternoon. We will be staying at the Country Squire this trip, but we are looking forward to spending plenty of time floating to all the hotels to say hi to all of our good friends.

See you all soon. :thumbup:

Mitch & Patti
Mitch

Glad to see you and Patti will be joining use at the Squire...... :cheers: :thumbup: :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Will and Paul:

Although I cannot attend the Fall MASR ride, I checked out the Rally website and it is very cool! Nice job.

As most folks know, I posted some discussion on the general Burgman forum as to large group riding and the risks involved. I received world wide comments. The overwhelming conclusion is that riding in groups of more than 10 bikes (scoots) substantially increases the probability of injury and/or death.

I am very pleased to see that you have taken steps to divide the Saturday and Sunday sanctioned rides into small groups "as appropriate". I trust you mean "small" as 10 or less riders. I am sure you do.

I quote from the Web site: "Sat/Sunday Organized Rides will be broken into smaller groups, as appropriate." I applaud you on this safety concern.

However, I am concerned that the rally will proceed as one large group to Yoder's on Saturday evening. Especially after a long days ride and down the main street of New Holland with heavy Saturday evening traffic and many cross roads & red lights.

I quote from the Web site: "We will ride as a rally over to Yoders Restaurant departing from The Hollander Motel at 5:45 pm that evening for seating by 6:00pm."

I am concerned about the safety of each rider in attempting such a maneuver. Thanks in advance for your explanation on the Saturday evening "Rally" ride to Yoders.

Best regards and have a wonderful weekend!
Safety First,
Vince

·
Registered
259 Posts
Better watch out for the Horse and Buggy gridlock!
:druid:

·
Registered
500 Posts
KaraokeGreg said:
Better watch out for the Horse and Buggy gridlock!
:druid:
Don't forget about the "Exhaust"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
... but it's all a part of that New Holland 'ambience' ...

Rally is shaping up well. Similar to the composition we had last fall. It'll be a grand ol' time.

Paul

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Mid-Atlantic Scooter Rally/Spyder Ryde Update

Hello to everyone … We have a very nice rally planned for this Fall (September 21-23d). My thanks to all who have commented on the forum or emailed me regarding the rides. MASR has hosted successful rallies and rides for eight years. The hard work, care and consideration of all who have participated on our rally committees, present and past, as hosts, road captains, assistant road captains, radio relay and others have netted us eight years of enjoyable rides with no significant mishaps or injuries.

In my e-letter of July 30th, and at the Spring Rally, we announced working toward smaller, manageable groups for our organized rides. As has always been the case, those choosing not to ride in the larger Saturday ride have been free to blaze their own paths for the day. We only ask that everyone be back for our customary Saturday dinner. Despite our solicitations at both last springs’ dinner and in the e-letter, no additional volunteers have surfaced to lead separate groups (on the organized rally courses). I do thank Tim Dunlap, Geo McGarrity, and Scott Richardson for pitching in as assistant road captains, and of course Will Lewis.

For the Fall Rally, we remain with sufficient committee to lead only one group. BUT we also anticipate, as is usual, the fall Saturday ride to be about half the size or less of the Spring Rally. I led last fall’s rally, where we had 37 bikes on the Saturday ride. At that size, the ride was efficient and enjoyable for most everyone. The Fall 2011 Sunday ride had 14 bikes and it was a blast. Therefore, this fall’s Saturday’s ride will welcome all bikes who form up behind mine on Saturday morning. For the Saturday ride, we have me and three assistants, all with radios, who will be in constant touch with me on conditions in the formation. One caveat: On the Saturday ride, for safety, all bikes must be able to attain 50 mph. We have a couple of stretches on the back side of the route where 50 mph is the mean speed. If you are riding 150cc or less, please be sure of your bike's capability.

Moving toward next spring, at least under my watch, the days of the 65-100+ bike all-in-one formations are over. They require support we don’t or can’t have in the form of blockers and sweep riders, both issues being open to a lot of debate, insofar as safety and legality. The massive formations become painfully slow and uneven. Rides of that size have proven uncomfortable to many, and conducive to some becoming frustrated and tired to the point of un-safe riding. We certainly can’t have that.

Again, our rally welcomes all. With that welcome comes the realization that its hosts must manage rides as safely as possible with the committee available. There are many rallies of varying ridership and formats; from those that are limited to locals and friends on a dozen or less bikes, to those that exceed what MASR has ever been in size or will ever be. The point is that we’re working on it and will continue having great rallies at the same time. Rising above the cacophony of opinions, MASR is an inclusive rally. We don’t leave people out, while of any of us is free to attend rallies of our preference and format with which we are most comfortable . I put out e-letters to let people know what we anticipate for attendance and bike count. People can make their decision. So given our MASR experience, committee and attendee input, and as Le Grande Fromage’, I am setting our goal to have formations not exceeding 30 bikes. We’ve never enforced ourselves like that before, but I feel this is an attainable goal for both this fall’s and next spring’s rallies; it will make MASR easier to manage, more fluid … and probably safer. We’ll keep separating groups as we get more help. This is our direction, period.

For the upcoming 2013 rallies and beyond, we will be doing everything possible to recruit, train and retain additional road captains and assistants, with GPS and communications to lead successive groups … and even to host/lead a seasonal rally , someday giving yours truly a break. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? We’d also like to see a road captain dedicated to smaller bikes of 250cc and below. Gradually we’ll evolve, and in the meantime, we ask for everyone’s patience, cooperation, safety consciousness, friendship and support. This has been the standard of MASR since founded in 2004 … larger and smaller groups under the stewardship of Hosts and Road Captains doing their best way before my time. Let’s continue in this tradition. Again, those who wish to go their own way can.

The feedback we receive overwhelmingly indicates that people like MASR as it’s largely been, but with some moderate changes. That’s our focus now, with an open mind to future evolution, dependent largely on who steps up, first with the purpose to help; and second to join with us to make MASR better.

ON TO THE FALL 2012 MASR/SR!

In friendship and ride safe,

Paul Armstrong
Rally Host/RC
MASR/SR

·
Registered
50 Posts
I cant believe it's MASR Fall Rally time again already. Time sure does fly. Paul has requested some help from experienced riders to lead some smaller groups. I've thrown my hat in the ring and hope others will follow suit. If you have a GPS on your bike, have lots of riding experience, and have lead small rides (groups of friends) before, you are most likely qualified. The smaller riding groups move along much nicer and make the ride more enjoyable for all.

Radio communication is also nice to have and I do have a basic FRS radio and will use it. I don't feel it's necessary to have a radio if the group is small enough. Don't let not having a radio stop you from volunteering. It's pretty easy to monitor several riders behind you without communication. Some of you have been coming to the rally for years and have your bikes farkled up with all the technical gadgets. I know we have lots of leaders out there. Please volunteer your services if you can.

Having smaller riding groups has its advantages when stopping at restaurants and rest stops also. We don't need 50 people filing into an establishment at the same time. :) Again, I have nothing to do with organizing this ride, I'm just offering my help and hope others will as well. Please contact Paul if you can help with the rides.

Can't wait to see you all there. Have a safe trip to the Rally and prepare yourself for another fun weekend.

Jeff in Pittsburgh

·
Registered
63 Posts
jeffjeff1959 said:
I
Having smaller riding groups has its advantages when stopping at restaurants and rest stops also. We don't need 50 people filing into an establishment at the same time. :) Again, I have nothing to do with organizing this ride

Jeff in Pittsburgh
I too would like to see this ride broken down into smaller groups. Best to all my friends attending the Fall MASR ride!

Vince

·
Registered
259 Posts
Every so often,I try to masturbate a large word into conversation, even if I'm not really sure what it means. :lol:

See everyone on Friday :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
jeffjeff1959 said:
... Paul has requested some help from experienced riders to lead some smaller groups. I've thrown my hat in the ring and hope others will follow suit. If you have a GPS on your bike, have lots of riding experience, and have lead small rides (groups of friends) before, you are most likely qualified. The smaller riding groups move along much nicer and make the ride more enjoyable for all. .... Please contact Paul if you can help with the rides.
Thanks to Jeff. His message is helpful. Yes ... I am listening. And as Jeff notes, we need extra hands. There will be some further development of these plans into the spring. For now however, we're only expecting 30 or so bikes (max) on this fall's Saturday ride. I understand a few will be blazing their own trail for the day, which takes it down to 20-something. Jeff's going to take 10 or so. That leaves something in the teens which is managable. We shouldn't have too much congestion at the rest stops, given this number.

The route packs are up on http://www.midatlanticscoot.com, and http://www.midatlanticspyder.com. If you want to lead a group on the sanctioned course route (It's a nice route) on Saturday, get the course downloaded on your GPS, and then please come see me at my room (Rm 201) at The Hollander on Friday. I have Scott Richardson and two Spyder Ryders who have FRS radios. If you lead a group and need a tail radio, I'll disburse radios among groups if I can. Email me if you need to reach out personally.

I look forward to seeing everyone.

Paul

1 - 20 of 40 Posts