Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really have a big debt of gratitude to Ranko for posting his valve adjustment step by step guide with excellent pics! It made this a fairly simple task, however, quite a time consuming one. I started last night and worked for 3 hours. I was able to get as far as removing the seat, the air box, throttle cables, intake and all the tupperware. Today I spent another 4 hours to complete the job. I took of the valve cover, checked for tolerances and found them all to be in spec. Both intakes were .003 and both exhaust were .007 exactly. I have 10300 kilometers on the bike, and yeah this is the first inspection. I was quite worried what I might find and was pretty surprised to find them in the tight end of spec. I decided (whether or not I should have) to put them in the middle, ie: .004 intake and .008 exhaust. It took a bit of time to get them just right from all the torquing, rechecking, resetting, and finally set perfect. I have an idea I was wasting my time, however, this was good experience for me.

I had trouble getting the valve cover gasket off the head and decided to leave it there. I was very careful not to pinch it when putting the cover back on. It worked - no leaks. I guess all of this time was not a waste as I cleaned the air cleaner, and clutch air filter as well as checking the spark, which was replaced about 6000 kilos ago. It looked fine.

The back seat bolts are a bugger to get at. I just rested the seat up against the dash without unplugging the electrical for the seat light. That worked well.

I think without Ranko's excellent guide it would have been much harder. I followed his instructions pretty well to a tee, including hot gluing the airbox hose in place.

The scoot didn't really improve much with performance, or at least not anything I can detect, however, I have put my mind at ease that the valves aren't going to get burnt anytime real soon. Maybe my driving is not that aggressive, or simply Suzuki has over stringent rules on valve inspection because mine were pretty much right in spec.!

cheers,
andy

Reactions: s-steel

· Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Not wasting your time at all, it's good that you loosened 'em up. As the miles increase the valve clearances have a tendancy to get smaller or tighter. When the valves get too tight is when they can burn. I adjusted the valves on my wife's '06 400 a few weeks ago (1800 miles) and like you, found them tight but in spec, so likewise, I loosened them. Gotta love the nut and screw adjustment as shims are a PITA. Slappy valves are happy valves. And Ranko's instructions are outstanding.

· Registered
110 Posts
I always adjust valve lash plumb in the middle for these simple reasons:

- after going through all the trouble of getting at the valve train, whether they need to be adjusted or not, it’s an easy way for me to know if there has been any change when I inspect them the next time

- it’s hardly any more work to set them plumb in the middle and it ensures I’ve measured and adjusted appropriately

- if there is any chance of measuring error due to feeler gauge angle, or beverage consumption etc, it’s minimized by setting them plumb in the middle

- I like simple repetitive maintenance procedures that do not change from one time to the next

- I always replace the other simple inexpensive wear items such as valve cover gasket and sparkplug for the same sort of reasons: all the tools are out, the bike is stripped, the cost is low, and the simplicity is high

· Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like i did the right thing

Thanks for your replys, chumly and djb,

It looks like I was correct to reset them. Cheers

andy

· Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 now on your site it says that raincoat has a pictorial that shows you how to adjust the valves when I press the Raco valve adjustment in galleries what comes up is just pictures of him touring nothing that shows you the actual pictorial step by step of how to adjust the valves can somebody help me out

· Administrator
18,096 Posts
I have a 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 now on your site it says that raincoat has a pictorial that shows you how to adjust the valves when I press the Raco valve adjustment in galleries what comes up is just pictures of him touring nothing that shows you the actual pictorial step by step of how to adjust the valves can somebody help me out
Over a 15 year old post and you expect the web page to stay the same?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts