Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On July 4th I went to a bike photo shoot with my scoot. After it was over we went to eat and then everyone went their own way home. This kid of 18 that was with us got hit by a girl texting and then she left the scene afterward. She was eventually caught but poor Spencer is in the hospital with broken bones and suffering.
Get better Spence!

Don't Text and Drive!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Our prayers are with him and wish Spencer a quick and speedy recovery.

They should really start putting these people behind bars for a little while.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I'm sorry Spencer was a victim of this inconsiderate young girl.
Maybe these distracted drivers should be locked into stocks in the town square and subjected to public humiliation for several days as well as jail time!!!!
Just my $.02.:angry4::angry4:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Texting while driving is the big killer now! I read an article that listed it as being many times worse than drunk driving, especially with below 30 drivers.

I pray that Spenser will have a quick and low pain recovery. I busted my leg very badly 2 years ago so I know how broken bones can hurt.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Spencer, get well. I won't even talk on my cell while driving, let alone text. But I am in my 60's.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The other day I was at a stop light and I noticed a woman talking on her cell phone. I made a hand gesture for her to put the phone down, thumb and little finger out like a phone and repeatedly moved it from my helmet then down.

When that didn't work, I waived my arms in the air to get attention, then pointed to her car and then made the gesture that she was talking on the phone. So as to let everyone know there was a dangerous driver around.

She slinked down a bit and quickly speed off at the green light, still talking on the phone. Dum3 3itch.

My best to spencer and a quick recovery.

·
Registered
753 Posts
A year and a half ago I was sitting at a red light in my immaculate 2003 Camry when I got rear ended by an 18 year old kid that was texting. His Scion and my car were both totaled but luckily no one was hurt. His insurance company gave me about 2/3 of the price of what my car was worth (at least to me) and now I am driving a 1997 Ford Crown Vic. I was going to make that Toyota my last new car ever but some dumass kid texting on his phone took care of that idea for me.

I guess that I should be glad that I was in my car instead of on two wheels as I am really sure that I would not have came out of it as well as I did but still, he got an "inattentive driving" ticket and I got a sore neck and rental car for a few days. Oh well. It's all over now. Still pizzes me off though.

Here's to a quick heal job for Spencer. And he has youth on his side at least.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Heal up quick, Spencer. Something tells me the wheel of Karma will bring something back around for the girl who put him there.

·
Registered
709 Posts
This stuff makes me angry... Last year a fellow was hit head-on and killed in his own lane, by some stupid 18-year-old girl texting... It's illegal in every European country and license withdrawal is the punishment and imprisonment if you're responsible for an accident. A petty fine is not going to slow this down... All I ever hear from these situations is that the driver was cited on the spot for texting $35??? And then find out they don't even have any insurance, and that's another petty fine cited on the spot!

Get well soon young man sorry to hear about this.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Women Seems to be the One's Who Disobey the most,
People will never Learn to Quit,

I have 180 Texting points, I,v Never use them Since text has already taken Lives ,So I just Stop using it.. Would like to have them removed And Converted to Minutes.

Get Better,God Bless..

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
maybe we should all wear helmet cameras and make a point of filming those driving without due care and attention and when we do capture them making sure we get a shot of their licence plate. Then forward to LEA.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Our daughter was hit from behind while sitting at a traffic light last summer. Luckily she was in our Chevy Trailblazer and I think the brunt of the impact was with our trailer hitch because our trailblazer had a few scratches and the small cars front end was all smashed up. Lady was texting and looked up too late. Wish there was a way that the manufacturers could disable texting once the driver steps into the car.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Wish there was a way that the manufacturers could disable texting once the driver steps into the car.
Actually there is technology that will do that but the cell phone companies are doing their best to prevent it from being used anywhere. It was designed for buildings originally but it could be fitted into cars. Of coarse what really needs to happen is for people to start acting responsibly. No amount of technology will prevent all of it. Texting is a useful tool but most people have lost their minds with it, especially the under 25 crowd. For them it is an addiction, the modern heroine!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I f** don't understand how can one text during the ride, i'm afraid to look at my speedo for a second. I understand however it must do something with drugs.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I grew up in a world where the phone sat on it's own tiny little table in the hallway. The world has changed a lot since then. If I want to actually speak with either of the kids (30 and 21 now) I've got to specify to "call me voice" because texting is all they ever do.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Women Seems to be the One's Who Disobey the most,
People will never Learn to Quit,
I often wondered about the "equality" on this subject.

Men are, statistically, three times more often to be picked up for DUI then women. And the fines and penalties are, appropriately, harsh. It's a dangerous activity.

Texting and talking while driving are proven to be an equally dangerous activity.

However, in a dangerous activity that women are at least as likely to participate in as men, if not more so, the fines and penalties are a slap on the wrist.

Perhaps its just too soon for governments to fully realize how dangerous texting and talking are, but it sure seems like a double standard. Here in CA, when those laws came out, they didn't go into effect for over 1 1/2 years after passage and the fine was $35. Why so long and why so little?

MATT, Mothers against texting and talking, doesn't seem nearly as popular as MADD. The political activism isn't as urgent even though the dangerous activity's results are the same.

·
Registered
709 Posts
What really irritates me is when you having a one on one with somebody and they have to leave you to answer the phone...simply push the silent button, you have their number?

My wife got bad at that at a Resteraunt so I rang her up across the table so I could get a conversation in... It got ugly so I ate 2 meals!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
maybe we should all wear helmet cameras and make a point of filming those driving without due care and attention and when we do capture them making sure we get a shot of their licence plate. Then forward to LEA.
I wish they'd start putting dash cams in from the factory like TPMS sensors on anything manufactured after 2007, it'd save a lot of people at intersection accidents. I once had to pay for my own repairs because someone ran the light just after it changed trying to make it through on the bumper of the car in front of him and he told the police he had a green light, so he couldn't determine fault and we both were left to do our own repairs. Pissed me off. I still don't have a camera simply because I'm having trouble determining which models/brands are worthwhile and which are not, but I decided then to someday get one so that it doesn't happen to me again. Next time I want to be able to prove I had the green light.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Actually there is technology that will do that but the cell phone companies are doing their best to prevent it from being used anywhere. It was designed for buildings originally but it could be fitted into cars. Of coarse what really needs to happen is for people to start acting responsibly. No amount of technology will prevent all of it. Texting is a useful tool but most people have lost their minds with it, especially the under 25 crowd. For them it is an addiction, the modern heroine!
If it is based on speed sensing technology people would be upset if they were a passenger or on a train/plane etc and couldn't text. I think this is why they haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If it is based on speed sensing technology people would be upset if they were a passenger or on a train/plane etc and couldn't text. I think this is why they haven't done it yet.
That and it is illegal in most places! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_jammer
The technology is basically a radio transmitter that scrambles the transmissions of a given frequency.

The other way to actually block the signal would be a faraday cage but that would be hard to build into a car completely.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts