Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
hmm...lane splitting...just like California. this law says nothing about using the emergency lane though. personally i would prefer to use the emergency lane during the traffic congestion, especially in houston -- further away from other motorists...but the debris piled up there...nuh, i will stay in my lane.

some cited that Burgman 650 is too fat for driving between cars. i rode my ninja 500 in Los Angeles and found that it takes a lot of coordination with other motorists to make split lane safe...you will have to pray that someone won't hit you with their side mirrors.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Very nice. I especially like the requirement :

"(2) has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course under Chapter 662;"

·
Registered
240 Posts
billmeek said:
Very nice. I especially like the requirement :

"(2) has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course under Chapter 662;"
In Texas the road test is a real pain on the butt: TRC §521.166 MOTORCYCLE ROAD TEST REQUIREMENTS.

(a) An applicant required to submit to a motorcycle road test must provide a passenger vehicle and a licensed driver to convey the license examiner during the road test.

(b) The department may refuse to administer any part of the road test to an applicant who fails to comply with Subsection (a).

HOWEVER, if you take the Motorcycle Safety Course the road test is waived! That's why I took it. :)

Hmm...come to think about it, if you are allowed to ride split lane, you are allowed to not wear helmet in Texas as well. I can see blood spilled on freeway already, because I feel people in Houston don't ride as safely as those in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other ( dubious ) benefit of the course.

Texas helmet law.
Texas exempts riders 21 yrs. or older if they either 1) can show proof of successfully completing a motorcycle operator training and safety course or 2) can show proof of having a medical insurance policy

·
Registered
240 Posts
4DThinker said:
Does it mean it's OK for a motorcyclist to cut between lanes of congested same-directon traffic if the rider is well trained and well insured and at least 21?
Yes, you will be allow to take your life in your own hands -- in the same fashion as that you will be allowed to drink. 8)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
NOTE:
(4) operates the motorcycle:
(A) at a speed not more than five miles per hour
over the speed of the other traffic;
(B) in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20
miles per hour or less; and
(C) in a location other than a school crossing
zone or other than a location where the posted speed limit is 20
miles per hour or less.
I believe there are other limiting factors involved as well. Good for when traffic comes to a dead stop in Houston tho!
Be very careful though. I've seen folks deliberately open doors, spit out windows and empty the contents of their commuter cups on lane splitters! (mostly in Cali)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Selias said:
I believe there are other limiting factors involved as well. Good for when traffic comes to a dead stop in Houston tho!

Be very careful though. I've seen folks deliberately open doors, spit out windows and empty the contents of their commuter cups on lane splitters! (mostly in Cali)
In Houston, even at 5 mph, drivers would quickly switch lanes without warning to gain a few seconds. BAM! There goes one lane splitter. :cry:

Drivers are less likely to spit or throw things out, because it is so hot in the summer and no one wants to roll down the window. :)

Overall, I am scared of the effect of this law may have in Houston. Just look at the number of accidents our light rail has had. How could drivers and pedestrains miss the light rails? Wait, they didn't.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Yes, from April 2000 until just last June I lived in Houston. Didn't want to move there, glad I left but I moved there to get a GOOD job and paid my dues and now I'm fortunate enough to make GOOD money (well, *I* say it is good) and got a transfer up to piney woods area where I now reside.
Jasper area is wonderfully devoid of the population density which Houston harbors. Although the hazards are fewer here (and different) they still exist. A deer can do just as much deadly force impact as one of the idjets in Hoostun and a timber truck (or tree) as impassable as a concrete retaining wall (or light post) there. But I won't lie by saying I will NOT miss the 610 corridor one little iota! Working for the phone company has been berry berry gud to me! :D

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The law makes it legal, it does not make it mandatory :)
Each one of us will have to weight the pro's & con's and decide if it's worth the risk at any given time or place.
Now if they would just make "rolling STOP sign" legal :lol:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Randy said:
The law makes it legal, it does not make it mandatory :)
Each one of us will have to weight the pro's & con's and decide if it's worth the risk at any given time or place.
I was talking to a pal who has been riding bikes in this town for over 20 years, and his first reaction was: "lots of people gonna get killed." Besides the fact that all those constructions have made freeway riding around Houston an adventure every day, the roads seem to become narrower as a result.

We also seem to have a population of motorcyclists who will regard this law as "mandatory" and insist on riding 5 miles above the traffic (ignoring that "20 miles" limitation). We also worry that because of their abusive behavior, we -- the god-fearing, law-abiding, timid, self-preserving chickens (don't mean you, stu) -- will be profiled by the public.

Now if they would just make "rolling STOP sign" legal :lol:
You mean a mobile STOP sign that moves with us? :wink:

·
Registered
83 Posts
lifegetter said:
some cited that Burgman 650 is too fat for driving between cars. i rode my ninja 500 in Los Angeles and found that it takes a lot of coordination with other motorists to make split lane safe...you will have to pray that someone won't hit you with their side mirrors.
It just takes some getting used to.

I end up splitting during my commute nearly everyday, when I dash off from work at 5:00 in Berkeley, across the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge, and then through San Francisco to school. I did it on my much heavier and wider K1200RS and on the roughly equivalently sized Sprint ST. Now, I do it on the Burgman 650. It's far, far easier on the 650. I tend to believe most of the negative commentary about how tough it is comes from riders of smaller scooters, not riders of traditional motorcycles.

In the very worst case, folding the mirrors in is easy and provides lots of clearance. I just don't like being unable to see other riders coming up behind me.

At least here in the Bay Area, it's only the rare jerk who feels that he should play traffic cop and stop me. There are occasional nuts who try to pinch me off, try to spit as me as I go by, yell at me because I get to move through traffic, etc. However, it's rare. Especially for the San Francisco segment, where scooters abound, I can get away with just about anything.

That said, it's sure be adventurous to do it just after it's newly allowed.

Greg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Current status

It's probably also worth noting that at this point, this bill is either at the earliest stages of its life or dead.

Introduced on February 23, 2005; moved to the House Committee on Law Enforcement on February 28, 2005. Nothing since.

I don't know enough about the workings of the Texas legislature to know if that means anything, good or bad.

Greg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here in the UK lane splitting is legal and normal. I frequently lane split for up to 10 miles at a time along the infamous M1 motorway out from London. No problems - its safe so long as you don't overdo it and keep your eyes open. Generally I stay in the 10 - 15 mph range over the speed of the cars and merge back in if the overall speed starts to get much over half the national speed limit, say about 35 mph. My intention is to make progress, not win a race. Car drivers generally seem well behaved and reasonable. They do hop lanes but indicate before doing so. I guess this might have something to do with the swarms of courier riders to be found across London. These guys have a job to do and are a pretty tough minded about it. They spend their entire day on the white line. Lane splitting in their book includes straight on between opposite flowing streams of traffic without hesitation or deviation. Any misbehaving motorist is going to be "educated" pretty quick. The reality is that cars can hold up bikes, but bikes don't hold up cars, so its just down to being reasonable.
Robg

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's were we split some hairs
"in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20 miles per hour or less"
Traffic standing still is in fact not moving .

So can we pass in between a line of cars stopped at a light ?
It would seems legal to do so while they are slowing down for a light.
Assuming all laws met, can we pass on the inside shoulder (provided we don't go over the white line) :wink:

Just trying to get a "read" on the law - safe or not safe to do is something else, each of us will have to decide for ourselves according to circumstances.

·
Registered
240 Posts
btw, i just found that there are petitions going on right now. just google it.

You don't hear about this much, but anticipating that I would split lane, lots of motorists in Los Angeles and San Diego left me lots of room to make a move. Perhaps my TX license plate scared them. :p They were a whole lot more couteous than when I was driving cars!

Difference in attitude: in Houston, when I rode ninja 500 there are people cutting in front of me often, as if to intimidate me. When I rode Burgman or Vulcan, people usually leave me alone -- and I did not do anything different, even wore the same jacket and helmet!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
4DThinker said:
That's preett amazing, Brian.
Hey, leave me out of this. I left Texas 30 years ago. :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts