Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the dealer last night and am pretty much ready to buy my 650 Burgman SuperScoot (despite much coercion to buy a regular motorcycle), but would love to take at least a quick test drive before spending $7700.

Strange how sooo many folks seem so ProCycle - I am gonna “test” drive my friends Honda 750 cycle up in Bergen county tonight – everyone is pushing me toward a cycle and I wish I could just take a quick jaunt round the block or lot on a Burger for comparison.

Does anyone know of a somewhere I can get a taste of the scoot in NJ? I am in northern/central Jersey but will go where need be. Once I feel the machine move, I can make my purchase with confidence.

Johnny

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
No one should be expected to buy a "pig in a poke" as the old saying goes, I would go to the dealer and talk to him/her about at least a parking lot ride.
Make your deal show your money but have them understand you are not signing anything till you ride.
There not taking any chance other then you may not like it -any damage is covered by there insurance .
I think most of the problem is they don't have confidence in there own product. to sell it's self. :!:
And it's funny because if I were the dealer and a bike rider was thinking about buying a scooter I would let him take a test ride and have the papers ready when you got back,
that's how sure I would be of a sale. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Johnny.

Buy whatever you want and the hell with others. I have two bikes. Enjoy them both. If I could only have one, I wouldn't know which one to get rid of. The Burgman just does everything well. It is clearly a SUV (scooter utility vehicle. It is very easy to ride with really no short comings. I wish it sounded like my Bandit with a titanium can on it though.

BTW. Based on your moniker, are you a mortician or hitman?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sure ther is Randy. One causes the end and the other handles it after the end

·
Registered
320 Posts
Johnny,

You might try Burger's Motorcycles in Three Bridges. If they have a used one, they may let you try it.

We've got a 400 but I will probably be at Burger's on Saturday to pick up some parts. Do you ride already? If so, you're welcome to try our 400 to get the feel of a Burgie, albeit the junior version. :)

Bryna

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Edwljoseph wrote
Sure ther is Randy. One causes the end and the other handles it after the end
True, but in the end who cares :lol:

Not to get off topic here Johnny, if you can get a ride on a "400" while not the same it would answer a few questions, the 650 is larger and has more power but the seating ,the general feel , should be close.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Johnny,

I am from north Jersey. Bought a Burg650 on Arpil 30.
So far I have put more than 5,000 miles on it.

If you are a rider, I can drive to you and have you try mine.
Always I am looking for any execuse to ride the Burg. I think everyone on this forum will be the same.

Drop me an email.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This site really is the best!
I will email a couple of you today.

Johnny

(not a mortician or hitman - I',m in Marketing)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way cgogh, what is your email?

I am at [email protected]. I live in the Belleville/Bloomfield area, and can always meet you up in Wayne.

Again, THANKS!

Johnny

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can I join?

I live in Montclair, NJ, probably down the street from Johnny Death in Bloomfield/Belleville, and I'm eager to test ride a 650 as well. I bought an Aprilia Atlantic 500 about two weeks ago and I do like it a lot. But I find myself wondering if I made the right choice, given the larger engine in the Burgman. Motorcycle Mall in Belleville has a silver 2003 on the floor that's calling my name (or Johnny's) but they don't offer test rides. I'd be happy to trade a test ride on the Atlantic (which I bought without a test ride) if it isn't raining.

I'm at joezeff at joezeff dot com.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I kinda like the 04 Black.

Johnny

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of the generous members of this amazing forum, cgogh, has offered to let me check out their 650.

Hopefully we can get together this evening (just waiting to hear back).

If all goes well I will be making up my mind and visiting my dealer to purchase my black 04 650 this week!!!

Johnny

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can I come?

I'd love to tag along Johnny. Just give me a call if it's ok. I'm right up the road in Watchung Plaza, and I'll bring my new Atlantic 500.

Joe Zeff 973-655-0501

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Joe,

I have not heard back from the member in Wayne with the 650.

When I do I will ask and let you know. I have heard the Atlantic 500 is a very nice scoot.

Johnny

·
Registered
4 Posts
Burgman 650 in NJ

I just traded my Kymco Bet & Win 250 for a Burgman 650. The Burgman is quieter, smoother, more spacious, and "loafs" at 79mph. I took it out on the Garden State Parkway Sunday to try it out. No trouble keeping up with cars which were doing 80mph. It was only doing 4000 rpm!

The Burger has a strong engine braking whenever you release the throttle. I released the throttle and watched it slow down to 15mph as I approached the toll plaza (EZ pass lanes). Sometimes I even have to give it some throttle when rolling to a stop because the engine slows it down before I even have to put on a lot of brake pressure.

The acceleration is phenomenol. I was easily out accelerating cars. I also like the quick starting with the fuel injection and the storage compartment. I feel like I'm riding a mini goldwing with the Burgman 650.

We should start a NJ Burgman riding group.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to the forum and congrats!

May I ask where you bought and what you paid? I have been shoping aroiund.

Also what year and color didja go for?

Johnny

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Congrats on your new 650!

Yes, it takes a few days to get used to the engine braking. I hardly think about it any more though. In truth, it doesn't have any more engine braking than my motorcycle, but it feels wierd to have that much with an automatic at first. The hardest thing to get used to is that little lurch forward when the clutch cuts out at 7 mph and you are suddenly freewheeling. You learn to feather the throttle to delay that transition to freewheeling until you want it to happen, and having a bit of brake applied when it cuts over eliminates that lurch forward. Many of us also lightly feather the rear brake when slowing in traffic to activate brake lights.

Tha acceleration is deceptive. With cars and motorcycles you get used to feeling/hearing the engine gain rpms in direct conjunction with increased speed. With the CVT, the engine quickly hits that point where the rpms "stick" and the CVT begins changing ratio. Well, your normal senses tell you that you shouldn't be gaining in speed because the engine is not revving up. But then you glance at the speedometer and you are doing 63 mph in a 40 mph zone - and still climbing. Oops...

I think part of the fun of riding an AN650 is that it IS way different from anything you've ridden or driven before. I'm sure you will continue to enjoy yours.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Special Super Thanks to BurgmanUSA member cgogh!

Charles was able to stop by my office and let me test drive his silver 03 650! I loved it and will be buying my 650 this week!

Thanks again cgogh (Charles)!

Johnny

1 - 19 of 19 Posts