Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great idea!

When these terrorists are caught, (any of them), strap a bomb on them, put them out in the desert somewhere and set it off.

See how they like it :evil:

Bloody cowards! :x

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I might suggest that the size of the charge be very carefully metered so that they can experience the full effect, particularly the after effects.

Dead, they go to thier reward w/o really experiencing any real pain & suffering in the here & now.

Oh wait, I forgot, that would be cruel & unusual punishment. Too bad cruel & unusual crimes can't be punished in like kind. We are too "civilized" for that kind of thing nowadays.

Mores the pity.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
***I normally don't hop on this sort of bandwagon. ***

Don't blow them up. Secure them and make them watch their familys get blown up or severly hurt instead. That would hurt them worse.

I know thats the wrong attitude to have. I really wouldnt do it if I had the chance but part of me wants them to feel the emotional pain vs the physical.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wyldman said:
snipped
Oh wait, I forgot, that would be cruel & unusual punishment. Too bad cruel & unusual crimes can't be punished in like kind. We are too "civilized" for that kind of thing nowadays. Mores the pity.
Sometimes "civilized" gets in the way of crime deterrent.
I'm with you. If the animals out there had any idea that what they did to others would be done to them (if caught), they just might hesitate to do it.

But, that won't happen, because we're all "civilized" so the animals will continue to win. :(

Glad I'm not a cop these days.
Talk about frustration!

·
Registered
130 Posts
"Terrorists"

They are more like animals. Living things without souls and are living in the 13th century. They want virgins? Like was mentioned before, just take 'em to an isolated place and grant them their wish. No big expense either, one bullet., costs about a nickel.

Put them out of our misery.

ZH

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
howabout a 50 cal. sniper shot from 1500 meters away?

too sudden?

hmmmm.

Why am I thinking of Mel Gibson in the role of Braveheart right now?

·
Registered
146 Posts
None of these ideas would work for the same reason the war on terror hasn't worked. You are not dealing with rational creatures. If they kill some of us, it's a blow for whichever gods they serve (remember, Islam does not hold the franchise on mass murder). If we kill some of them, they become martyrs to the cause. You've seen it on TV- the mother of that young Palestinian guy that blew up in an Israeli cafe- she was proud of her son! Not sad he was dead, not sad that he died for no real gains in the national agenda. But proud that he blew himself up to kill a few of "the enemy"! I can't even get my mind around that degree of entrenched hatred. It goes back so many generations that most of them can't even remember where the animosity came from. Add to that a largely illiterate populace who believe the hogwash their ministers douse them in and it all becomes self-perpetuating. We will never stamp out terrorism by killing terrorists. That's not to say that individual perpetrators shouldn't face justice over their specific crimes. That's a different issue. But as long as there are haves making the have-nots envious, as long as there are those who will manipulate the willing ignorant for their own ends, as long as there are ideologies that accept that the end justifies the means, and as long as killing another human being makes us feel powerful, we will have the threat of "terrorists".

·
Registered
497 Posts
Killing the terrorists may well create job openings in our governments.
But I'm all for smaller government. :twisted:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry, Randy, have to disagree with that one. The more martyrs you create, the more you galvanise the faithful into further action. After all, "Remember the Alamo" didn't become a catch-cry because they held a successful knitting bee. Good men died defending a cause they considered just, and in response others took up the cause who had previously been more reticent.

·
Registered
146 Posts
4DThinker said:
Tassieburger said:
The more martyrs you create, the more you galvanise the faithful into further action.
Unless you've completely eliminated the "faithful".
True, but that hardly goes with our current accepted view that everyone has the right to believe what they like as long as it doesn't interfere with others. You have to remember that the vast majority of "the faithful" of all persuasions are not terrorists. It's just unfortunate that we can't predict in advance which ones will become terrorists.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Tassieburger said:
True, but that hardly goes with our current accepted view that everyone has the right to believe what they like as long as it doesn't interfere with others.
Neither does suicide bombing. They aren't playing by our rules. Must be war. All is fair in war.

·
Registered
146 Posts
4DThinker said:
Must be war. All is fair in war.
I have heard that but I don't believe it. If that were true, we would have no right to complain about anything the other side did, because "all's fair in war". In my world there are some things that are always just plain wrong, and just because someone else decides to break the rules (or live by a different set of rules) doesn't mean I should stoop to that level. Taken to its logical conclusion, the "all's fair" philosophy results in anarchy and no fairness to anyone. I understand the feeling of wanting to hurt those who perpetrate these heinous acts, but to act on that would bring us down to their level. Justice demands a set of rules and punishment according to those rules. If it didn't, we would not be imprisoning our own soldiers for "abusing prisoners". For better or worse we try to be a humane society, with all that entails. Sometimes we have to stifle our feelings for the greater goods of justice and mercy.
I'll stop preaching now and crawl back into my box.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Tassie,

On the whole I agree with you, but somewhere along the line acts like these must be stopped. I have no desire to punish the innocent just because they are of the same race, color, creed, or political ideology as the poor misled blighters who are carrying out these atrocities.

My single desire is to root out those that are responsible for the planning & direction of execution, prove for certain that they are at fault & terminate them as painfully & publicly as possible. One of the world's single largest problems is that those few responsible for these heinous acts have no fear of reprisal. They have no reason to think that they would ever be caught & punished. They are cowards, hiding behind fancy names proclaiming how they are persecuted & how unjust the world is to them. If they knew that there was any chance at all that they would be found out & brought to task for thier actions, they would never even consider trying it.

That the mass murder of innocents is the way to assert power, whether those innocents live in another country or their own makes no difference, hence all the collateral deaths of innocent civilians in Iraq. They put all of those people into "safe havens" at night that are, by day, strategic targets marked for termination & then scream bloody murder when the site is attacked & destroyed.

Their acts go far beyond the deaths of a relatively few in any one country, including their own. These acts are not against a govt, or religion, or any single idea, they can say they are, but it's complete BS. They are against mankind at large, committed in cold blood because these sociopaths believe that their lives are the only ones that matter & that the rest of mankind is beneath contempt & worth taking notice of only as a means to their ends.

It's those people that need to be found out, accosted, drug out into the street, & shot no appeal, no parole. The sooner we rid ourselves of these sick a__holes, the sooner true peace will reign on our little speck of a planet.

Rant off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wyldman said:
One of the world's single largest problems is that those few responsible for these heinous acts have no fear of reprisal... If they knew that there was any chance at all that they would be found out & brought to task for thier actions, they would never even consider trying it.
I'm not sure I agree with this bit. Clearly these folk do not fear us, neither do they fear death. If they did they wouldn't be blowing themselves up. It's a bit of a cliche that "I don't want anyone on my team who isn't afraid", or words to that effect, but it illustrates the point. People with no fear are dangerous. You just can't hurt someone who has no fear and nothing to lose. These guys get pumped up on ideology, told their reward is in heaven and nothing can touch them. They don't care if they die as long as they take some of us with them. If they are captured, they consider thenselves martyrs. If you treat them humanely, it's a sign of your weakness and reinforces the rightness of their cause. If you treat them badly it's a sign of your barbarism and reinforces the rightness of their position. You just can't win against that. Certainly justice must be done, but don't expect to make a dent in their absolute conviction of their rightness.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wyldman said:
It's those people that need to be found out, accosted, drug out into the street, & shot no appeal, no parole. The sooner we rid ourselves of these sick a__holes, the sooner true peace will reign on our little speck of a planet.

Rant off.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Well, the big question here is how to change an ideaology that Death=Life. We can keep killing the terrorists, but like drug dealers, there is always another to fill the vacuum. I believe, for the most part, that all people of whatever religious dogma they believe in want to live and enjoy life. However, there is that tiny minority out there that wants to kill everyone else that does not believe the way they do - and now that they have access to better weaponry, it takes a smaller group of fanatics to kill the larger part of civilized society. These are the people that need to be stopped. Somehow. I don't have the answer. I wish I did. I hope someone comes along soon who does. I don't think that the "eye for an eye" method has worked out very well so far. Don't get me wrong, those men and women who have given their lives for our freedom are #1 in my heart. I just believe that the cost is awfully high.

In the end, I believe in people. I believe that the good people out-number the bad and in the end things will work out. I know it is a bit pollyanish, but that's pretty much the way I try to view life.

How about we give everyone a Burgman so that they can enjoy the ride - maybe they will put aside their anger... :roll: OK, OK - just trying to lighten things a bit...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts