Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit it. I'm cheap. I'm also lazy. Taken together, these two attributes mean that I not only want something for nothing, but also expect it to be delivered and unwrapped for me for free.

Thus, I took an immediate interest in the Termoscud Leg Warmer when I first became aware of its existence. Though these items are not available in the USA yet to my knowledge, the leg-warmer concept looked like a real winner to me. Not only would it save me buying warm riding pants or chaps for the cooler months, I reasoned, but because it could be rolled up alonside the fairing I could use it for rain protection in summer too. And all for under $200! What a bargain!

I should have known better. The Termoscud is made of very high quality materials, is reasonably attractive, and seems to be unusually well-made. It even keeps my legs warm when I use it, and dry as well. Yet as an accessory it is an utter failure, and I'll probably never use it again. Why?

Because it is simply a bad design concept. When in use, the Termoscud totally blocks easy access to the dash and storage cubbyholes built into the Burgman. This is true even in the "folded" position. It also at least partially blocks either one or the other front turn signal, depending upon what angle you install it at. While there is a hole provided for access to the ignition key, I hope that said hole lines up a lot better with the keyhole on the big Italian scoots that the Termoscud is also designed to fit; it's useless on a Burgman. Perhaps worst of all for my purposes, I cannot put the leg-warmer on my bike without literally lying on the ground. The bottom hooks cannot be reached (by me) any other way. This means that I absolutely cannot use the Termoscud as rain-wear in summer, as planned.

There are positives to the Termoscud. For one, it _works_. I have ridden down to forty-five degrees in the rain with my lower body remaining warm and dry. A very nice bib-like extension is included which also helps keep the chest warm. Plus, as mentioned, the price was right; I gave just under $200 for mine, including shipping from Motorroda in Athens, Greece. (And, they managed to get the thing to me for under $30 in postage even quicker than a package ordered from Oneida, NY, the same day.) The Motorroda people were very nice, to boot; mention the recent Athens Olympics to them if you want to make small talk. The person I dealt with was still bursting with well-earned pride.

People who look at pictures of scooter leg-warmers often wonder how the rider puts his feet down to stop. I did myself, in fact. However, I can state authoritatively now that I've used one that it's truly no problem at all. It can be used either feet-down or feet-forward. Your legs stay warmest in the feet-forward position, however.

Termoscud seems very proud of their product's inflatable air chambers that prevent flapping. At speeds up to sixty MPH, I never had any flapping and I never inflated the chambers. Like I said, it's a quality unit.

And, one last note: To my knowledge, no one makes a leg warmer for the 650.

It's kind of nice having what may just be the only example of a product currently in the US; certainly it's been a big conversation piece in motorcycle shops and on parking lots. But I'll probably put it up on e-bay soon. It's a worthwhile accessory, but not worth the tradeoffs for me.

LINK: http://www.motoroda.gr/motoroda/start.asp?language=en

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi LR

I have one for the 400 but have not got around to fitting it yet.

They are manufactured for the 650 too:Tucanourbano

They are used extensively in France and Italy - I think they look a bit too dorky.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People here never accussed me of looking dorky, though I kinda feared that it might be seen that way. Rather, they seemed to think it was pretty cool, mostly because they'd never seen one before.

I didn't know they were out for 650's. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't know the item you're talking about but these are what I use.
http://www.kneenecks.com/products.htm

I didn't know about the wrap-chaps, I may just order a pair. I have been quite happy with the shorter ones I have & the longer ones would not only be warmer but would also provide some protection if you went down. (Provided they stayed on.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Termoscud thoughts -- after the 1st season: Thumbs Up

I used a Termoscud all winter on my Kymco People 150.

I will say that there are some design features that are better than others, but the main PLUS is that I was able to scoot all winter... I didn't miss a single week.

Admitedly, here in Virginia Beach, we had a mild winter. But I was able to enjoy my scooter all winter and not have to worry about taking it off the road, winterizing it and then putting it back on the road. This was my purpose in getting the 'Scud and it worked for that. And I was suprised at how toasty the 'Scud made riding and how much I enjoyed riding in the winter.

Bagster is another brand that makes lap aprons for Burgmans.

These are somewhat fussy to install -- think kinky, bustier and you'll be find (alot of straps and clips). You must be certain not to let the apron rub directly on plastic... use a plastic protecting sheet product. The leg apron might seem a little confining in the knee area, depending on your lower leg height. I'd never use the over the neck thingy -- too weird.

My impression was that the 'Scud was well worth the money, very well thought out, with just a few compromises. The biggest problem may be that we're so unfamiliar with them -- hence they come off as dorkey and weird.

That may be true, but since I find myself in Europe three or four times a year I'm used to seeing them. And once you see something accepted in another culture, it's not difficult to imagine assimilating it into yours.

If you're interested in using your scooter as a more year round mode of transportation, a lap apron is a must.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts