Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - tomorrow is my last day as a free man, a man who is not, as of yet, encumbered with a walker. The hip surgery is Wednesday morning.

Tomorrow's forecast is a possibility of rain. My question is: Do I go ahead and ride tomorrow anyway to get the oil really heated up and then just change the oil (it has about 1,000 miles on it) or do I just add gas stabilizer (done) and then gas up on the way home? I'd really prefer NOT to change the oil just yet - but get it good and heated up to burn off any impurities.

The doc's office said I could be back on the bike (at least that's "my" understanding of it ;)) within four weeks.

Thoughts? Remember, it's supposed to rain so I only may ride enough to get gas and then make sure it's properly warmed up, not really hot (oil temp wise).

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
1000 miles on the oil...............I'd just add gas stabilizer and be done with it. If only a month off is true & battery is fairly new I wouldn't even worry about it.

Good luck on you surgery Bruce. :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
4 weeks is not long enough to count. I wouldn't do anything special. My "extra" bike sits that long frequently. After I got a Burgman, I only rode my BMW 3 times all summer until I sold it a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I'll just put the extra oil back in my chemicals closet and go from there. If I do get a chance to ride tomorrow, then I'll make sure that everything gets very warmed up.

Now, let's see how fast, with doctor's approval, I can be riding again. I just haven't quite figured out how to strap the walker down to the bike without it being a safety hazard. :lol: In fact, the wife has already been making jokes (I hope) about putting a cable lock on the bike. I lovingly reminded her that I'd cut the lock if I needed to - she graciously backed down from that idea.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Sucks to have a medical problem that keeps you from riding. I remember when I had open heart surgery. I was off the bike for 12 weeks before the doctor would let me ride. After I got to feeling a little better after the surgery I would go out into the garage and just sit on the bike (I had put it on it's center stand before I had the surgery). My time off the bike seemed like forever but I waited.

Good luck with your hip.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
@happytech I'd just leave the bike as it is, should be enough, I wouldn't ride the day before surgery, just to be safe and be good and ready for the next day, your bike will want you in good condition for the surgery.!

Good luck!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I had my hip replaced this summer. I was back on the Burg in less then a month. The 1st week or 2 aren't a picnic, then it gets better. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good luck on your surgery. Everyone I know that has had it has bounced back quickly and therapy is easier than knee surgery.

P.S. Have enjoyed your older post and hearing of your travels!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quick recovery to you so your scoot remembers you!
Easy recovery, too.

Edit- just checked where Bedford is. We're under the same weather front. Going to get my rain gear out of the scoot tomorrow so I can ride in the good rain on Thursday (off work tomorrow).

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the wishes . . .

Just a bit of an update. Had the surgery Wednesday morning and came home Saturday morning. :D Serious PT starts tomorrow (bring it own)!!

Doc said that the x-rays didn't lie - the damage was as bad as they thought. Now they are trying to figure out what caused it.

So there by Burg sits, on it's new toy (battery tender junior). I put fuel stabilizer in and rode around a bit the day before surgery to make sure it was distributed and to try and make sure that there were no liquid contaminates in the oil (my drive to work is only 2.4 miles).

These pain pills make it really hard to type, even on the smaller dosage.

One thing I'm noticing - it's my knee that really hurts. In fact, when I walk using the walker), I hear and feel my knee click up to twice each step. Hope this isn't a forerunner of now needing knee surgery.

Again, thanks for the well wishes.

Bruce

·
Registered
704 Posts
Soon you will be speeding up your PT by riding your scoot to PT! :)

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
I rode my scooter to Cardiac Rehab last year
for every visit, except days it was raining.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
One thing I'm noticing - it's my knee that really hurts. In fact, when I walk using the walker, I hear and feel my knee click up to twice each step. Hope this isn't a forerunner of now needing knee surgery. Bruce
I was told that clicking joints are normal, but if they click and it hurts at the same time then there might be a problem.But I am NOT a medical expert.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
let's just face it . . .

Let's face it - Burgman riders are a special and fascinating group! We're intelligent, we're tough, we're fun, we're supportive.

Now, my question is this ;) - are we that way by nature or is it the Burgman? My guess is, we're like that by nature and the Burg just brings it out in us.

Horray for us!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Perhaps your knee hurt before but your hip pain was worse. Now you got your hip fixed you can now feel the knee pain.:?::?::?: I hope you heal up quickly and get back on your scooter soon.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Let's face it - Burgman riders are a special and fascinating group! We're intelligent, we're tough, we're fun, we're supportive.

Now, my question is this ;) - are we that way by nature or is it the Burgman? My guess is, we're like that by nature and the Burg just brings it out in us.

Horray for us!
Happytech, I suspect it is not just us Burgman riders. I think it may be the "older rider" thing. Now I do love my Burgman but I think for many of us (myself included) the Burgman is a method that we choose so we do not have to quit riding. I still have my V-Strom 650 sitting out in the garage that I (so far) haven't been able to talk myself into selling. I know can't ride it because with my arthritis I can't pull the clutch any more but hope springs eternal. So yes, we are a tough bunch who cannot and will not let limitations put us off riding.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Happytech, I suspect it is not just us Burgman riders. I think it may be the "older rider" thing. So yes, we are a tough bunch who cannot and will not let limitations put us off riding.
To add to that, it's also that I think us "older rider" group is not so blasted self-centered, me/me/me but still remember and practice the concept of it's also about others.

Now I'm having fits sleeping (the knee still clicks but not as much :)). I've got a call in to the doc to see what they can do - maybe I've become too tolerant of the pain meds (I don't take full dosing anyway but full dosing doesn't seen to really help either).

Maybe I should just me a new helmet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a torn rotator cuff and had surgery on that and once my PT was over, I went right back in and had surgery for a herniated disc in my neck. The rotator cuff had my left arm in severe pain and the herniated disc had my right arm in severe pain! I had to go months without riding and my SYM RV250 sat idle with just gas stablizer in it. Took a few cranks to starte it, but once it did, ran like a champ. I actually found a 2011 Burgman 400 with 36 months of extended warranty in place and only around 3600 miles on it and bought it after my second surgery. It was kind of a gift to myself for getting through the surgeries successfully and I have always wanted one. This one came along at the right time and I was at the right place. Needless to say, I LOVE it! Good luck to you on your recovery.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts