Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it has been getting warmer I've been noticing some strange behavior in my front brake lever. In the morning I have about 3/8" to 1/2" of "play" in the lever. But by noon, I have almost no play in the lever, the other day when it was very sunny and 103 I think I actually had negative play. That is, I think the front brake was partially engaged. As I went to pull away after starting up and it did a little dive before it took off with a little bit of drag.

Normally when it was getting no play it would get real touchy, barely tapping the front lever would over engage the front brakes.

As I get air moving, the lever relaxes a bit.

Anyone else have this happen, I did a search and didn't see anyone reporting this. The brakes are good other wise when the temps are normal. Rear brake seems unaffected.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's 101 here today, but it gets near 100 everyday here in Atlanta and I've never noticed it having any effect on my brakes. I wonder if someone put the wrong type of brake fluid in there, or maybe there is some air in the system.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was on that same path, maybe a fluid that is more susceptible to heat. Although I can't imagine it was ever acceptable to have fluid that could expand due to heat.

Air seems like another good possibility but I don't get the squishy sensation in the lever like I'm compressing air. Maybe water?

This scooter has been wrecked so it is a likely candidate for having had the lines open. It only had 4400 miles on it when I got it in April. It has closer to 8000 miles now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or it may be an over-filled situation too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As it gets warmer it keeps getting worse. Today as I took off from a light the back end came up like I had the front brake on. I went to park and even with the engine off I could feel appreciable drag trying to walk it back into a stall.

I think I'll start by removing some fluid from the reservoir. I can see that it is over filled. If that doesn't fix it I'll try bleeding the line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts