Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
temp gauge not working, just got a burgman 400cc,2003, still wateing for the book to turn up,so i dont know where to look, the fuses are all ok ? also got to sort the speedo out, this was working but just stopped going to take the wheel off and have a look.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Have you checked the wire and connector at the radiator area on the temp sensor? On some vehicles, if the connection is bad/broken and you get 0 volts, the gauge will read Cold, and on some it will read Hot (Nissans). It may be something as simple as that, so check first.

Not sure exactly where it is located on your 400, but it should be on the radiator or very close.

When I stopped at a restplatz along the autobahn in Germany one day, a German man was obviously frustrated with his Nissan. He spoke just a little English, and I speak just a little German, but he managed to tell me the temp gauge was reading Hot. But, he had been there an hour, and you could put your hand on the engine block. Coolant level was full. I traced the temp sensor, pulled the wire, and found it blocked with white, chalky corrosion. He had an old toothbrush, which I used to clean it off. After scraping the prong with a key to get it really shiny, I re-connected, he turned the key, and the temp gauge was back to just above Cold. :p

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
345 Posts
W/ the wheel off, you should easily find the radiator and can locate the temperature sensor.

The sensor's OHM reading should be higher when coolant is cold, and lower when it's hot. If there's no value, then the sensor has failed, and needs replacing.

Some more info on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Kd0VQWw1o

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
The temperature sensor that the temp gauge is connected to is not on the radiator. It is on the engine block on the side where the spark plug is.

You could either have a wiring problem or a faulty sensor or a faulty gauge. The service manual includes procedures for testing the sensor and the meter. They are not difficult but do require a few tools you may or may not have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts