Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would be nice to know where everyone is from, even if it just the state you live in when you sign up as a member of the group. If you do not have your area listed, please edit your profile to reflect where you are from! That way we can share info for local dealers etc.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I agree. Very often our comments & even issues with our scooters are influenced by where we ride. Riding Nebraska or Iowa is really different from riding New England or the Ozarks in Arkansas. I know Internet privacy can be an issue for some folks - but I don't believe that any of us that have been displaying our City & State have run into any problems from doing so.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
pauljo said:
[snipped]- but I don't believe that any of us that have been displaying our City & State have run into any problems from doing so.
That is a very good point - it is very useful to have geographic location.

I do not know much about this forum software but is it not technically possible for those sort of details only to be visible when a member is logged on, so that visitors can browse the postings but not glean any info on the posters. I realise it is not much of a security bolster but every little helps.

NormanB

PS: Personally I ain't bothered by about my location showing but I know it may bother some people.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
NormanB said:
I do not know much about this forum software but is it not technically possible for those sort of details only to be visible when a member is logged on, so that visitors can browse the postings but not glean any info on the posters. I realise it is not much of a security bolster but every little helps.
Possible? Yes. Easy? No. That kind of modification (or "mod") would take a lot of work. And the change would have to be made with each update of the forum software.

If a forum member has problems posting where they are from due to security issues, they can post gerneral information like state or at least country. If you notice, I only post my location as "Middle Tennesse" rather than the city. It's not because I'm worried about safety, it's just easier than trying to explain where Summertown (which almost nobody ever heard of, including the people that live here) is located. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Yep. That's the place. But if you notice, none of the headlines are actually for Summertown. The only thing that makes this area of interest, other than the number of churches per square mile, is a thing called "The Farm" http://www.thefarm.org/. It's an old hippie commune from way back. I remeber about 30 years ago seeing the hitchhikers walking along the side of the road and the rainbow colored buses all heading out there. This area was swarming with them then. Of course, I forgot to mention the amish in the area. The local Walmart has hitching posts and watering troughs for the horses. The 'gifts' left by the horses on the road makes riding the burgman interesting at times. Thank goodness we practiced weaving a lot in the MSF course. ;)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I thought I'd just add another post here and bring the topic back up to all the new forum members. As you may notice, I have (long ago) changed my location in the profile to reflect my actual location. I figure anyone who wants to know where Summertown is can use something like mapquest. :) If you feel uncomfortable placing your city in the profile, it would be appreciated if you at least put your state to give others a general idea where you're from.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
311 Posts
I certainly don't mind. Moro, IL. is such a small town. It has a post office, it's own zip code, a church, and some homes. There's an interesting web site called something like "find your spot on earth". When I punch in my address it shows the 1200ft driveway, my roof of the house and the pole barn roof. It's taken from military flyovers, then plotted for county maps, plat books, highway planning and such.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Alan said:
I certainly don't mind. Moro, IL. is such a small town. It has a post office, it's own zip code, a church, and some homes.
Lots of little towns like that in rural Nebraska and Iowa also. Some of them are favorite ride destinations for me. I require just one additional business however for my "ride stop" towns. A gas station / convenience store. I can top up the tank, buy a cup of coffee, maybe a sandwich - take a seat in a booth and listen to the locals talk. Most of them seem quite content to live in their small towns. I've been a large town / city dweller all my life, and I just find it fascinating to see how folks view life in the country.

One added bonus, is that some of these isolated small towns are proudly ethnic. I've found small Swedish, Danish, and Irish towns, even a Czeck town scattered out amongst the cornfields and cattle ranges. Pretty cool. It's not boring at all out there - just different.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Where you from

Come to Washington, Iowa close to the Amana Colonies. Some of the best family style German Foods and Wine around. I think listing where you are from really gives members a feel where everyone lives on this little planet. Neat idea.

Helix :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Where you from

Helix said:
Come to Washington, Iowa close to the Amana Colonies. Some of the best family style German Foods and Wine around.
I think that is way over on the Eastern side of Iowa? I don't venture that far out this time of year, but next Summer I might take a ride out that way. Family style German food and wine... Sounds good. I'd need a place to take a nap afterwards... :lol:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Alan, if you can find that web site of overhead maping, could you list it here. Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Microsoft TerraSever image of Bill's house

Dang! Not enough resolution to see the Burgman across the street from the tennis courts. :shock:

Of course, the Burgman isn't really there since the images are from 1998.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes, that's the one. Thanks for getting it here for me. This could become a busy thread.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Time to move this back to the top as I see a lot of new members not stating where they are from! :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Maybe it could be a required field in the profile.

Janine in Deerfield Beach (south east), Florida

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I thought I'd revive this thread for the benefit of some of the new members that have joined the forums lately. Even if you don't want to put the city, it be nice to at least let us know your general area.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I agree. It should at least be required to list what state you live in. Some people don't want others to know what town they live in, and I don't see anything wrong with that. But knowing how many people from each state are members would be nice.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Yup. I agree too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts