Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a low mile 2006 for sale locally at what seams to be a pretty good price . Is there a reason to stay away from this particular year ? Give me the good , the bad and the ugly I CAN TAKE IT :D

I would be buying it for a family member basically as a gift .

Thanks in advance . TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
No reason to stay away from the 400 that I know of. So far mine has given me over 40,000 miles of good service. Unless I decide to sell it I expect to get at least another 40,000 out of it.

Only three things I know of that give problems on the 03-06 400.

There is a bearing on the clutch shaft that has a habit of going bad. Not a hard or costly thing to change out. It only comes into play when the bike is at idle or the engine is off and you push the bike around so does not affect the bike when going down the road. If it goes bad you can kind of ignore it until the next time you change the belt then replace it while the CVT is apart.

The speedometer sensor is driven off the front wheel. The rotor in the sensor has a tendency to run dry of grease and break. You can usually fix it by just gluing the rotor back together. Even if you have to replace it the rotor is cheap. Preventive maintenance is to pull the rotor out and clean and regrease it every other oil change.

Some of the 03-06 400s suck oil back up through the crankcase breather system into the air cleaner when running at higher highway speeds. If you have one that does you have to keep a closer check on the oil level so that you do not run it low on oil and trash the engine. The 400 does not have a low oil level indicator like the 650 so you have to manually check it to ensure you are not getting low. It's not a big deal unless you are doing a lot of 70+ mph highway riding. If you are then check the oil daily.

On the plus side, the early model 400s are lower and lighter than the later model ones. That makes them a little easier to ride for shorter riders.

Some consider it a negative but I consider a positive the valve adjustment method on these bikes. Instead of the bucket and shim setup on the 07+ 400 and 650 the early 400 uses a screw and lock nut adjuster. That means the check interval for valve clearance is shorter which some don't like. On the other side if you actually have a valve out of adjustment it's quick and easy to loosen the locknut and turn the adjuster to bring it back to spec. No having to pull the cams like on the bucket and shim method.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No reason to stay away from the 400 that I know of. So far mine has given me over 40,000 miles of good service. Unless I decide to sell it I expect to get at least another 40,000 out of it.

Only three things I know of that give problems on the 03-06 400.

There is a bearing on the clutch shaft that has a habit of going bad. Not a hard or costly thing to change out. It only comes into play when the bike is at idle or the engine is off and you push the bike around so does not affect the bike when going down the road. If it goes bad you can kind of ignore it until the next time you change the belt then replace it while the CVT is apart.

The speedometer sensor is driven off the front wheel. The rotor in the sensor has a tendency to run dry of grease and break. You can usually fix it by just gluing the rotor back together. Even if you have to replace it the rotor is cheap. Preventive maintenance is to pull the rotor out and clean and regrease it every other oil change.

Some of the 03-06 400s suck oil back up through the crankcase breather system into the air cleaner when running at higher highway speeds. If you have one that does you have to keep a closer check on the oil level so that you do not run it low on oil and trash the engine. The 400 does not have a low oil level indicator like the 650 so you have to manually check it to ensure you are not getting low. It's not a big deal unless you are doing a lot of 70+ mph highway riding. If you are then check the oil daily.

On the plus side, the early model 400s are lower and lighter than the later model ones. That makes them a little easier to ride for shorter riders.

Some consider it a negative but I consider a positive the valve adjustment method on these bikes. Instead of the bucket and shim setup on the 07+ 400 and 650 the early 400 uses a screw and lock nut adjuster. That means the check interval for valve clearance is shorter which some don't like. On the other side if you actually have a valve out of adjustment it's quick and easy to loosen the locknut and turn the adjuster to bring it back to spec. No having to pull the cams like on the bucket and shim method.
Craig , first a BIG THANKS from TheReaper! for taking your time to write the above . I just got back from looking at it and taking a test ride . It was a one owner silver color with less than 3K on the clock , and in pristine as new condition for $2,600 . Little German gal owned it and she was a fanatic about caring for it . While I thought highly of her and her care of the scooter , I found it small and without oomph . If I had to compare it to another scooter , I would say it felt like a small Silverwing 600 scooter .
I think it would make a good little around town scooter with a better seat , but to tell you the truth I liked the Big Ruckus better . I've driven just about all of them now and while NONE are perfect , the 650 Burg for me at least , has all of them beat hands down . When I'm on any other bike now I'm wishing I was on the 650 , that said my T-max is fun and plenty of power one up , but I wouldn't want it for my daily driver . Power wise I would put the Silverwing in 2nd place , but it can't compare not even close to the 650 Burg's ride .

Thanks again ......TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Describing it as being like a small Silverwing is not far off. As for oomph it certainly has enough to be more than an around town bike. It will more than keep up with traffic and run highway speeds all day long. Out on the open road it will outclass the Big Ruckus about as much as the 650 outclasses the 400.

Mine has been on many 300 to 400 mile day rides. Those were day rides that included 650s, a Silverwing or two, and a number of other scooters and motorcycles. It had more than enough power to keep up with the different groups. No it will not quite match the 650 out on the open road but it will get the job done.

The stock seat is about on a par with the stock seat on the 650. Which means most folks are going to have to make some modifications to be comfortable for longer distance rides.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you are looking at it for a family member shouldn't they be the one to decide if it has enough "oomph" or not. I moved from a 50cc to my 400 and it feels like a rocket to me. I am still getting used to how quickly it will take off in comparison. I have not done a lot of highway riding but the 400 is certainly capable of doing it. 70mph is easy and it will go faster, 70 is as high as I have gone because the wind is horrible at high speed with my small type S windshield.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are looking at it for a family member shouldn't they be the one to decide if it has enough "oomph" or not. I moved from a 50cc to my 400 and it feels like a rocket to me. I am still getting used to how quickly it will take off in comparison. I have not done a lot of highway riding but the 400 is certainly capable of doing it. 70mph is easy and it will go faster, 70 is as high as I have gone because the wind is horrible at high speed with my small type S windshield.
Well since it's my money , I'll be the one to decide .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
326 Posts
For more oomph, I changed out the rollers in my K05 400 from 18 to 15 gram and it made a world of difference without affecting the gas mileage much. Almost like putting it in the infamous power mode like the 650 has. My 400 keeps up with my pastor's 650 quite handily. The 650 is still faster. I like the tune-ablity of the 400 CVT, the 650 is not upgradeable transmission wise.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Well since it's my money , I'll be the one to decide .
Just saying that you might give them more than they can handle. That is assuming this person isn't used to the power that the 650 can give. I know of a half dozen people{mostly wives of other riders} who gave up because they were started on bike that was too big and powerful for them.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just saying that you might give them more than they can handle. That is assuming this person isn't used to the power that the 650 can give. I know of a half dozen people{mostly wives of other riders} who gave up because they were started on bike that was too big and powerful for them.

It's my son who I supply with bikes , right now he has my Silverwing 600 .

TheReaper!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts