Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I have been trying to source a set of Dr Pulley sliders for my 2009 Burgman 400... these don't seem to be readily available here in the uk? However I can obtain set of techpulley flying rollers which look similar but there's not many reviews online, so I am wondering has any of the collective had any experience with these?

Regards AL

·
Registered
794 Posts
Scooter centre in Germany does them get a good write up on Maxi muppets no issues with a quick delivery. Don't think any UK places do them just EU. Exchange rate is not bad at the minute either

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have them in my 2016 Burgman 400 with a Dr. Pulley hit clutch and have not had any problems with them. I want to open up the side cover this year and see how everything looks. Here is a link to my original thread.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scooter centre in Germany does them get a good write up on Maxi muppets no issues with a quick delivery. Don't think any UK places do them just EU. Exchange rate is not bad at the minute either

Thanks for the link I will check it out 👍
I have them in my 2016 Burgman 400 with a Dr. Pulley hit clutch and have not had any problems with them. I want to open up the side cover this year and see how everything looks. Here is a link to my original thread.

Yeah I did come across your original post... pleased to hear you haven't had any issues 👌

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Uncle Fester - do you know what any your RPM vs. speeds are with the Tech Pulley, mainly for higher speeds? I'm curious what RPM are for say, 70, 80 and 90 mph. Reason I'm asking... I've used various weights of rollers and DP sliders. I have 17gm sliders now, really like the acceleration, but they reduce high-speed RPM a little more than I like. I would prefer something that is about half way between rollers and DP sliders and wondering if the Motoritec sliders would do that, or if they're basically the same size and shape of the DP.

For reference I'm seeing around 8200 rpm at 95 indicated with sliders, and at least 9500 rpm with rollers. These could be a little off as I'm going from memory, but in the ballpark.

Reactions: AL8

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I do not know off hand but give me a few days and I can check. I have a Zumo mounted so I can get the actual speed. I do know I lost some top end for quickness off the line and can not remember redlining since replacing the original rollers.

Reactions: AL8 and G-Dub

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Uncle Fester - do you know what any your RPM vs. speeds are with the Tech Pulley, mainly for higher speeds? I'm curious what RPM are for say, 70, 80 and 90 mph. Reason I'm asking... I've used various weights of rollers and DP sliders. I have 17gm sliders now, really like the acceleration, but they reduce high-speed RPM a little more than I like. I would prefer something that is about half way between rollers and DP sliders and wondering if the Motoritec sliders would do that, or if they're basically the same size and shape of the DP.

For reference I'm seeing around 8200 rpm at 95 indicated with sliders, and at least 9500 rpm with rollers. These could be a little off as I'm going from memory, but in the ballpark.
It's interesting to read sliders weighing in lighter than the original rollers give a reduction in RPM at crusing speed, I was thinking about going heavier that my original 19g rollers say 21g sliders? But after reading a few posts I may stick with the same weight 🤔

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It's interesting to read sliders weighing in lighter than the original rollers give a reduction in RPM at crusing speed, I was thinking about going heavier that my original 19g rollers say 21g sliders? But after reading a few posts I may stick with the same weight 🤔
Because of the shape of the sliders they allow the ramp plate to move further in both directions. So once the sliders move fully out the RPM will be the same regardless of the weight. A lighter slider will just be fully "out" at a higher speed than a heavier one. With the 17 gm sliders, acceleration RPM is fairly consistent until I hit somewhere just before 60 mph when the RPM starts dropping even though speed is still climbing. When the sliders have moved to their farthest position, if I keep increasing speed the RPM will begin climbing again (I think around 65-70). If you compare to a regular bike with gears, the lighter sliders are like delaying shifting to a higher RPM...you still get to top gear just at a higher speed. I think you'll be happy with the 19gm sliders, or even 18gm...both will give you reduced highway RPM.

Reactions: s-steel and AL8

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because of the shape of the sliders they allow the ramp plate to move further in both directions. So once the sliders move fully out the RPM will be the same regardless of the weight. A lighter slider will just be fully "out" at a higher speed than a heavier one. With the 17 gm sliders, acceleration RPM is fairly consistent until I hit somewhere just before 60 mph when the RPM starts dropping even though speed is still climbing. When the sliders have moved to their farthest position, if I keep increasing speed the RPM will begin climbing again (I think around 65-70). If you compare to a regular bike with gears, the lighter sliders are like delaying shifting to a higher RPM...you still get to top gear just at a higher speed. I think you'll be happy with the 19gm sliders, or even 18gm...both will give you reduced highway RPM.
Thanks very much for the explanation 👍

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Took the Burgman on the highway today after my bicycle ride. 220 lb. rider, Givi 266DT windshield. Results may vary. I used my Garmin Zumo so the speed is very accurate but Suzuki has a tach with just three bars between increments of 10! Not four for 2 4 6 8. so the first bar I was using as 2000 and the last at 8000.

55 mph was 5600 rpm
60 mph was 6200 rpm
70 mph was 7200 rpm
80 mph was 8200 rpm
Top end 86 mph at 8800 rpm or the last line before redline.

When I first got the Burgman with the stock rollers I was going in the redline without realizing it. 86 mph is plenty fast for me these days.

Just a thought. Inertia is squared to the amount of speed you have. 40 mph you have 4 times the kinetic energy as 20 mph. 80 mph you have 16 times the kinetic energy as 20 mph. Something to think about.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the Burgman on the highway today after my bicycle ride. 220 lb. rider, Givi 266DT windshield. Results may vary. I used my Garmin Zumo so the speed is very accurate but Suzuki has a tach with just three bars between increments of 10! Not four for 2 4 6 8. so the first bar I was using as 2000 and the last at 8000.

55 mph was 5600 rpm
60 mph was 6200 rpm
70 mph was 7200 rpm
80 mph was 8200 rpm
Top end 86 mph at 8800 rpm or the last line before redline.

When I first got the Burgman with the stock rollers I was going in the redline without realizing it. 86 mph is plenty fast for me these days.

Just a thought. Inertia is squared to the amount of speed you have. 40 mph you have 4 times the kinetic energy as 20 mph. 80 mph you have 16 times the kinetic energy as 20 mph. Something to think about.
Thanks for the detailed analysis, is it 19g sliders you have installed in the Burgman? How miles has your drive belt covered?
Regards

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
19 gram rollers, 2016 Burgman with less then 6000 miles.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Thanks for checking that. Couple more questions (I promise it won't involve more homework though!)... Do you know about how many miles on the belt, and do you know about what your speedo correction is, eg at a true 70 what is the bike speedometer indicating?

Those rpm numbers don't appear to be much off from stock, so not exactly like Dr. Pulley. If I recall, you also have an aftermarket clutch and maybe did some other changes like with variator or spring shims? Besides belt wear there are many small factors and changes that can affect gearing.

When I was using 18gm DP sliders my rpm maxed out around 8200 at around 95 indicated. Yesterday when I was able to test the 17gm DP sliders it maxed out about 8000 at 100 indicated. Not sure why the difference except that there must be some small difference in the size of the DP sliders I'm using. Don't know if it's significant, but I got the 17s from someone on here who said they came with a variator they bought, I would assume DP. So maybe they were custom made for it...I haven't seen that weight for sale anywhere.

Bottom line is I'm pretty happy with the 17gm sliders and will probably stick with them a while. I get pretty good acceleration and it does very well in the twisties, while keeping down freeway RPM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for checking that. Couple more questions (I promise it won't involve more homework though!)... Do you know about how many miles on the belt, and do you know about what your speedo correction is, eg at a true 70 what is the bike speedometer indicating?

Those rpm numbers don't appear to be much off from stock, so not exactly like Dr. Pulley. If I recall, you also have an aftermarket clutch and maybe did some other changes like with variator or spring shims? Besides belt wear there are many small factors and changes that can affect gearing.

When I was using 18gm DP sliders my rpm maxed out around 8200 at around 95 indicated. Yesterday when I was able to test the 17gm DP sliders it maxed out about 8000 at 100 indicated. Not sure why the difference except that there must be some small difference in the size of the DP sliders I'm using. Don't know if it's significant, but I got the 17s from someone on here who said they came with a variator they bought, I would assume DP. So maybe they were custom made for it...I haven't seen that weight for sale anywhere.

Bottom line is I'm pretty happy with the 17gm sliders and will probably stick with them a while. I get pretty good acceleration and it does very well in the twisties, while keeping down freeway RPM.
Yeah I was thinking those RPM figures don't look much different to stock rollers? That's why I also asked what miles the drive belt had covered. I wonder if these Techpulley sliders differ in performance to DR pulley sliders?
Regards AL

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
The idea that some members think is the Fly has those tabs the may help keep the slider from flipping.
Some members have had DR. brand flip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts