Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks, My '07 finally began to split a little. I have a 3" rip and I need to fix it. I was thinking of putting some black vinyl under the split and brushing some Plasti-Dip between the new vinyl and the under side of the saddle to get a hidden seal. Then just troweling on some more Plasti-Dip to seal the top. It's a fix but since I thought of it, there is probably something better to do for the split. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yea.. Had that. The oddest thing. Slight tears from stress happened right after cleaning the bike and applying armor all. Maybe the oil in the product just cooked the seat in the heat and caused tiger stripe tears. Not from a cat though as its spread over a large area

Personally id remove the staples from underneath and bring to a furniture fabric restorer and see what they can offer. I never used plasto dip so don't know what it can or cant do. Is it flexible when it cures?

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's flexible. I used it already on other small areas on the seat but it is shiny and doesn't quite match the dull black original color. I use McGuire's conditioner. Probably why the seat lasted so long outside for 12 years. :) There used to be someone here who did upholstering but I forgot who it was. I wouldn't mind having it done by him. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
the week before things got serious and we were on the way to a lockdown and before the engine died, I was ordering some seat fabric as it just looked horrible with all the stress tears. it was driving my eyes crazy
was planning on removing my old seat. take apart the stitches and cutting where their is faux stitching/seams and adding some overlapped fabric and bringing it to a furniture shop to sew for me.
I cant would cost me a 1/3 of what theyd charge me here for the finished product.

btw, the oem staple in the seat I believe is 8mm long. this was months ago that I checked

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just patch it up as best you can to stop it getting worse then fit one of these covers and you won't even see the original seat cover.
I'm sure he'll do one for the 400.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Yeah, it's flexible. I used it already on other small areas on the seat but it is shiny and doesn't quite match the dull black original color. I use McGuire's conditioner. Probably why the seat lasted so long outside for 12 years. :) There used to be someone here who did upholstering but I forgot who it was. I wouldn't mind having it done by him. Thanks for your input.
The two members of BurgmanSeats was TechArtGuy and Bakeisback. They closed shop a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just patch it up as best you can to stop it getting worse then fit one of these covers and you won't even see the original seat cover.

They sell them all over in different sizes. I had one on my old scooter. The next day I returned mine. It was not comfortable at all

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a bad idea and inexpensive too. I would have to try it first. It appears to be grabby and I may have to raise myself up to adjust or that it may shift under me. Thanks Coop, I'll keep it in mind.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hammer it doesn't move at all, espicially if you secure it with some elestic hairbands like I did. not sure why S-Steel found his uncomfortable, everyones different I suppose. I have one on all my bikes and a few of my mates are also useing them, like you say for the price worth a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts