Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About the time time I was taking the MSF course (2nd time as a refresher), my friend was reminding me of "target fixation" and sent me this link:
http://xtremesportsphotography.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK01AY080000&po=0&pc=28

There is a video of it, but it happens too fast to follow and the stills are better. I found it amazing the guy on the bike couldn't redirect in time and also notice on the stills that it isn't before impact his brake light goes on. Everyone came out of this okay, but unfortunately later the same day a biker hit the fluids left by the first accident and he and the bike went over the edge with very serious injuries. If there hadn't been two riders stopped by the side, he might not have been rescued in time.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The Dragon is one heck of a technical road and those who are intending to take their first ride upon her should take a careful look at the Tree of Shame in the Crossroads Of Time campground. The road changes so fast that 25mph is really pushing it for a newbie who doesn't have much experience with serious twisties. I know; I live in Florida where we have 11 curves in 318 miles.

This is one reason why I much prefer the Cherohala Skyway to The Dragon. Lots of lovely twisties up there, but it's a lot less intense and you can actually see around you instead of hanging on through a twisty green tunnel.

I like the new avatar too, Ms F!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be a long time before I feel up to The Dragon and then it will be a weekday rather than a weekend.

Thanks ChipDoc, got tired of looking like a space alien. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Dragon is a great ride that requires your full attention !
I like the new look too, much better than the alien ! lol

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
wow! glad everybody is okay. It's amazing how you can be waving at one point and all of the sudden you're flying around fighting for your life.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Waving at the camera took his eye off the ball, bad positioning at the entrance to the corner and failure to exploit counter steering all resulted from being behind the curve. He actually gave up rather than being fixated.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The Dragon is a whole lot of fun, but it's also an amazingly dangerous place to ride. If you do absolutely everything right, some oncoming vehicle might lose it and ruin your day - just like that guy in the 'Vette. Your first rides on The Dragon really shouldn't be on the weekend. It's a WHOLE lot less crowded on the weekdays.

It took me three or four passes through before I realized there was a hundred-foot drop-off just off the edge of the pavement. Had a BAD case of tunnel-vision until I grew a bit more used to the road. I like The Dragon, but I much prefer the Cherohala Skyway - or even Rt 28 for that matter.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I know; I live in Florida where we have 11 curves in 318 miles.
This is one reason why I much prefer the Cherohala Skyway to The Dragon. Lots of lovely twisties up there, but it's a lot less intense and you can actually see around you instead of hanging on through a twisty green tunnel.

I like the new avatar too, Ms F!
Same for me in the desert out here around Palm Springs. To go on a road with curves I need to go up Highway 74 up the mountain. Most drop offs on it are way over 100'. :eek: Lots of bikes ride it in the summer as it's 30 to 40 degrees cooler up there than down here in the desert. You go from desert to pine tree in 10 miles. :D This time of year you go from mid 70's to mid 40's & even snow. Not something I'm inclined to do now. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts