Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be no mention of these on this site, just a lot of how-to's on adjusting the ball bearings.

I am about to upgrade by DL650 with all-balls roller bearings, as it will be apart, as a preventive upgrade. They are cheap.

Why no mention of these for the AN650? I will have it apart soon as well.

I remember the original CBX reviews, Honda told the press that balls are superior for headsets. I doubted that then.

Thanks

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
I think that COST is the big reason. Tapered race bearings cost more. They will give smoother motion. But they also take more room so the steering head may need re-engineering some.

Roller bearings are fine for items that just spin but place side loading like wheels on a car and Tapered bearings are what you want.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Maybe because they are already roller bearings?
STEERING_STEM

Mfg. Part Number: 09265-25038 Tapered bearing (25X47X15)

Mfg. Part Number: 09265-30020 bearing (30X55X17)

The all balls brand is for sure a confusing name for cylindrical roller bearings.

Both the DL650 V-Strom and the Burgman 400 have ball bearings though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ErikDK said:
Maybe because they are already roller bearings?
Erik, you say both that they are rollers and balls. ?? I will look again at Stromtroopers before ripping apart. I should have dome deeper research. Thought its round balls in both cases.

Cost- $33 for all balls rollers. Shipped. So not so costly to aftermarket. Agree that $0.50 saved by factory may led to using balls there.

I have dropped in rollers where balls came out before, I think this is normal for steering heads. EX250f8, and it felt like a stiffer frame afterwards.

·
Registered
704 Posts
According to the service manual 2003 to 2011 Burgman 650's have tapered roller bearings in the steering head. It says so in the text and shows tapered bearings in the photos.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that. Saved me embarrassment in my own garage. I was gonna buy new ones and drop them in when I do the fork springs and emulators.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts