Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mr rear tire finally wore out. I looking for advice on a taller tires. my kick stand scrapes on turns, with my wife on board, and scares the bejesus outa her, I tell her it doesnt hurt anything(the sound)she doesnt mind the leans at all but, doesnt want to ride till i do something about the scrapes. my question is what size tires will grip good but be a taller profile, with out going to the dark side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, 2010 650EX, and i've already installed fournales air shocks to help smooth out bumps but it doesnt fix the height and scrapeing problem

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
According to the specs your Burg has a 160/60-14 rear tire. The next size up in sidewall height would be a 160/70 but I can't find anything in that size, or larger for that matter. So it looks like there isn't a taller tire that will fit. I also looked for slightly wider and taller but couldn't find anything. I did find a 150/70-14 which would be a tiny bit taller{10mm taller - 3/8 inch}but it would also be 10mm narrower.

I know you already have custom shocks but you could get ones that are longer, that would lift the rear. You could also get lifter brackets that fit between the shock and frame{or swingarm}.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'd be concerns about scraping the trunk with taller tires. Don't know the tolerance, but its a possibility.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Scraping centerstand on 650

My New 2012 650 had a problem scraping on hard left hand turns and I found the rubber bumper was not allowing the center-stand to fully retract. Slipped off the rubber bumper and sawed a bout 1/4" off and that fixed it.

Check and see if it is fully retracting, if not the bumper might need "adjusting"

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
You can go to a 150/70 14 motorcycle rear tire. That will gain you 9 mm in height.

If you are inclined to go the darkside route there are also some of them that will fit that are taller. The two sizes I believe folks are using are the 155/65 and the 165/65. the 155/65 would raise the bike 4.75 mm. The 165/65 would raise the bike 11.25 mm.

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
The 150/70 14 is a Bias ply but it does not make any difference in the way my bike handled. It did raise the back up some. I went to the Darkside 165/65 14 and it raised it some more.My next tire was a 155/65 14 and it went back to a bit taller than stock. My current tire is a 185/60 HR 14 and it is VERY tall and scraped the swing arm, I had to grind some casting flash off to fit it. NOT RECOMMENDED!!!

With you and wife aboard, rear shock should be on #5. You could also slide the fork tubes down in the triple tree about 1/4 inch and re-tighten the clamps to gain a bit there too. Some members have installed a 130/70 15 rear tire on the FRONT rim mounted in the reverse direction to gain a bit more height. I went with Progressive shocks and a bit stiffer springs and it raised the back up about 1/8 inch on sitting #1.

So a few combo's to think about.Its only MONEY. :twisted:

·
Registered
255 Posts
One thing you need to be aware of is when changing tire heights or suspension lengths you WILL change the way the bike handles, so please be careful. One of the Burgmans really strong suits is its handling ( not suprising from Suzuki engineering ) so any change to the vehicles stance puts you in the testing mode. Again please be careful.

Greg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its not the tyres IMHO its your suspension. You need uprated Fork Springs and uprated Rears. Hagon of UK do both. They do standard replacement rear shocks and upgraded ones tailored to heavier loads. I have the uprated ones and the lean angles are pretty much the same as my other bikes with no scrapping solo or two up.

WM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts