Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same complaint you find elsewhere in this forum - I really need to move the driver's backrest back about another 2 inches to be really comfortable. I've read about all the solutions but, maybe some of this will find it's way back to Suzuki. I don't have any coin left for a new seat or backrest after shelling out 7 grand for the bike.

Al
6'2" tall

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Al,

Just remove the backrest. You'll get the 2", and the cost is zero.

You can buy black plastic hole plugs at the hardware store to put in the two holes where the backrest went. Size is 7/8" if I recall, and cost is about 35 cents apiece.

This will get you by until you can afford a fancier solution.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Ok, not a mechanical person, help!

I tried to remove the backrest on my 650 so that I would have more room and kinda stripped one of the phillips screws to remove it. I don't want to completely strip the screw, but can't get it to budge! I have used WD40 and still nothing. The other one will come out fine. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Ok, not a mechanical person, help!

casek said:
I tried to remove the backrest on my 650 so that I would have more room and kinda stripped one of the phillips screws to remove it. I don't want to completely strip the screw, but can't get it to budge! I have used WD40 and still nothing. The other one will come out fine. Can anyone give me some advice?
Typical, and I'd guess it is the screw on the right. I had that problem, and others have encountered it.

I rode mine to the dealer. A mechanic had it out in no time. He said that he tapped it with a hammer a few times and it came right out. It almost seems like the factory put permanent lock-tite on that screw...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
If the screw head is stripped to the point you cant do anything with it then try taking a dremel with the cutoff disc and just cut a slot in the top to fit a standard blade screwdriver.

But try using the phillips srew driver again first and while you have it in with some pressure hit the screwdriver handle as suggested earlier with a hammer, or if you have access to an impact wrench it would be better.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Same screw, different problem. The right hand screw turns very easily but does not back out. I'm betting they torqued it enough to strip the threads on the screw near the head.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
There is something you tall guys can do, I don't know if this works on the 650, I don't have one.
-On the 400 remove your back rest, on the back you will see staples holding the leatherette cover, remove the staples and just the rear piece of material, under it you will see 4 nuts, remove them and the back rest comes apart,
Put the padded part on a shelf some were. Put the other section back on the the bike ,If you like it you have gained a good 4" it looks OK and you can bring it to any reupholster to have it covered for about 20 bucks. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
Can you grab it with a small vice grips & pull it out?
Nope. Not enough clearance to get'em in there. I might have to go purchase a tool. May be able to use a (better than I currently have) set of needlenose plyers.

<begin gripe mode>

I took it by the local dealer to have them extract it. They wanted me to leave the bike for "up to a week" and said they doubted it would be covered under warranty. Their quote was, "How do we know you didn't overtighten it?". If this is the quality of service I can expect from my Suzuki warranty, why did I pay for the 4 year extended?

<end gripe mode>

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Paul,

There are no other 'local' dealers. That one is almost 30 miles from here. The next closest is about 60 miles. There are a couple of other bike shops 15 miles from here but no Suzuki. I'm working on one of them to try and get him to become a Suzuki dealer. :lol: He probably will not ... but he did mention one interesting thing. Another dealer is trying to get him to sell scooters for him on consignment. I asked what kind and he said, "Suzuki, Honda, Aprilla, and a couple of other brands". Could be ineteresting to see what happens.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yes, that is interesting. Would he service the scooters he sells? Or would a buyer have to go to the originating dealer for service? I would guess that he wouldn't do the service because he isn't a factory authorized dealer. But then again, he could do basic maintenance - just not warranty work.

Anyway, what is really interesting, is that some enterprising dealer is seeing an untapped market for scooters.

The dealer in Omaha is showing more and more scooters on the floor each time I look (not all big super scooters either). But the dealer in Lincoln, Nebraska is totally scooter-ignorant. I think that a dealer in any sizeable city that is ignoring scooters is losing out.

I think it would be fun to have a scooter-only dealership if you could get Honda, Suzuki, etc. to authorize you for service & warranty work.

No Sir! I'll never have one of those noisy, chain-driven, impractical, motorcycles on MY floor! I'm afraid you'll have to go elsewhere. Chain Lube? No, I'm afraid we have no call for that... :twisted:

I'd want to carry a full line of aftermarket accessories for the scooters too.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Knowing the way the 'good ole boy' network works around here, wouldn't surprise me if the local bike shop did the service and ran the warranty paperwork thru the other dealer.

It might be fun to have more scooters in the area. Even though most of the motorcycle riders here have been receptive to the Burgman. The only other scooter I've seen is a Helix that's been sitting on the local Kawaski lot for the last 2 months.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That darn right screw!

The right screw on mine won't budge either. I'm living with my girlfriend, and my tools are at my house (9 miles away). I've tried tapping it with a hammer. I've got an impact driver at home - but don't know what good it will do if I can't brace the seat against something. I think I'm going to have to use an easy-out to get it. It had a perfect head on it to start - so cutting a new slot with a dremel doesn't seem like it will do anything but start the game all over again. :( If I get it out - is it possible to cut new grooves in the tube, and drill out the plastic to where the tube could slide further back and lock into place? It seems like mine stops in the back before hitting the uphosltery...

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I had a local bike shop remove the screw for me. The screw wasn't too tight. Mine spun freely either direction. They used a dremmel tool to grind the head off the screw and once the buttstop was off, grabbed what wa left of the screw with visegrips and removed it. pnly charged me $5 for over 15 minutes of work and nearly wearing out a grinding stone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was able to get the screws out no problem but for some reason the seatback won't release. Is there anything else I need to do besides removing those screws and pulling the seatback hard and forward?

·
Premium Member
14,268 Posts
Did you pull the backstop adjustment handle release located on the bottom of the seat on the right as you face the front of the scoot? Also did you remove the two small screws on the end of the backstop arms or the two large screws in the bottom of the seat frame. It should have been the two small screws. All they do is keep the arms from comming all the way out. The release handle lets them move forward.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Buffalo said:
Did you pull the backstop adjustment handle release located on the bottom of the seat on the right as you face the front of the scoot? Also did you remove the two small screws on the end of the backstop arms or the two large screws in the bottom of the seat frame. It should have been the two small screws. All they do is keep the arms from comming all the way out. The release handle lets them move forward.
I guess I removed the 2 big screws. I'm not too mechanically inclined. I did play with the handle that's right near the light but I guess thats not it. HOw do you get at the small screws on the arms? They look buried.

·
Premium Member
14,268 Posts
Just realized I'm not sure if you have a 650 or a 400. What I told you is for the 650. If that's what you have, the release handle is not by the light it's on the bottom of the seat pan right where it kicks up behind the backstop. I also got my rights and lefts mixed up, it's on the left about 1" in front of and 3" to the left of those big screws. You will probably have to pull it toward the outside of the seat and move the backstop forward a little to see the screws and get them to where you can get at them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts