Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wife is 5' 4" and aprox 120lbs - Shhhhh, I know I'm in trouble now!

She's thinking about the Delaware Motorcycle class... and the
Burman 400!

Any ladies that can tell her about how you like the 400 - how it "fits" etc.??
Hey any guys that fit the profile - talk to us
Thanks to one and ALL!
Peace,

Rob and Mary

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
My friend "test-sat" a 400 burger the other day and she reached good. I still think she needs to learn on a 250 because she has little, if any two wheel experiance.

Seems that the 400 is a darn tidy package that fits most anyone. That's why I think it's cool.

G

·
0 Posts
height

I'm 5' 7" with a 27.5" inseam so my bike shopping has always been centered on this issue.
From the many bikes I've looked at, the 400 is the most friendly for short folks. This is a combination of the low seat height and narrow front portion of the seat. This being said,
I understand that the Honda Reflex has the same type seating (I've not tested one), and if this is the case, the 250cc engine size might make it a more suitable candidate for a new
rider. Just some thoughts....

Paul

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mary
I'm about an inch shorter than you and near the same weight. The B400 fits me perfectly, flat foot, no stretch to bars. The low center of gravity makes it easy to hold up. In the motorcycle class you will learn on a bike with a clutch so getting used to the automatic will take a little time. Requires more revs than you think to get moving. I had two motorcycles before the scooter and did not like the gas tank in my lap and high center of gravity. Not having to shift makes a big difference in building confidence. The storage space is great. $75 of groceries can fit under the seat. Having both brakes in your hands (no foot brake) makes stopping more confortable than the way the course will teach you. (left foot on the ground) I wished this scooter had been available the day I finshed the course. I was 40 when I started motor cycling. This is my major mode of transportation. We have a "Big" truck (semi) and a large BMW motorcycle that I can't reach the ground on. So unless I want to take the bicycle around, the B400 is my transportation. We do stay in warmer temps year round. Go for it. Take it easy for a while and by all means take the Motorcycle Safety Course
Good Luck,
Vicki

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Tandem Cyclist said:
The storage space is great. $75 of groceries can fit under the seat.
Surely you can fit more than half a bag of groceries under the seat!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, the issue for shorter riders seems to be inseam, rather than overall height. Mary needs to sit on a B400 (off the center stand) to see how it fits/feels.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm 5'2" w/ undisclosed weight :wink: Inseam is 29"

Seat height is great for me...I finally sat on a 650 this past weekend and barely was on tippy toes...SilverWing was the same as the 650...

As Ken stated, best bet is for Mary to sit on the 400 and see how it fits.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey we rode one today

Hey we rode one today!

Our dealer in Dover only has two scooters - both are the Red 400S.
AND their price is $5100.
I think I'd like to put the silver and red side by side to check out the differences.

We rode there on our Helix - so we'd feel the difference.
The power change wasn't that much. A whole lot more vertical stability.
The red and black looks nice, except for the wheels - they look cheap.

Is it hard to replace the windshield? How many OEM models are there to choose from?

Thanks for the great responces

Rob

·
Registered
296 Posts
IronRanger said:
My wife is looking to get into the Burgman scene. We looked at 400's yesterday, and I was suprised at the difference in feel between the 400 and my 650. My wife is tip toe to hold up my 650, and she has no problem flat footing the 400. I didn't think 1" lower in specs would feel that different.
Actually, it's a shade over 2 inches (29.5 for the 650 and 27.4 for the 400).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am the same height and a little heavier than your wife. The 400 is a perfect fit for me.It handles like a dream and each time I ride my confidence grows. My husband did have to cut about 2" off my windscreen as after a few rides I noticed that the top of it was right in the middle of my field of view. This I am sure will very person to person,as I am short waisted. I have not had even a remote second thought about my purchase, just wish I had more free time to ride. I'd be more than happy if I could help in any way!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
400 height

I'm 5'4" and sat flat-footed on a 400. Wish California prices were the same as in Delaware!

Question: how does one cut a windshield? Are there places that do that, or do you just have to have the right tools and a steady hand?

LM

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
RobK

She's thinking about the Delaware Motorcycle class
Don't THINK about it, just do it. End of the safety lecture for today. :wink:

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts