Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of motorcycle guys where I work. They occasionally ponder my 650 Burgman while scratching their heads as it sits in the motorcycle parking lot.

Recently, I was leaving work at the same time as some of the other guys and decided to take the scenic route home by skirting the edge of the city on the Interstate.

One other guy lives out of town and commutes back and forth by way of the interstate and I found myself following along behind his Harley bagger.

He tried not to make it *too* obvious, but it was plainly evident that he didn't appreciate being seen in the company of a scooter pilot. He kept twisting it harder and harder, but try as he might, he just couldn't seem to get himself and his rapidly bruising ego away from me.

I'd been casual about it, but I was having a good time messin' with him.

Then I decided to mess with him some more.

We were on a long stretch of road leading out to the interstate when a red light caught us.

I had been riding along behind him but when we stopped for the light, I pulled up beside him on the inside of the lane.

I caught his attention, then canted my bars to the right and directed his attention to the button marked "power".

Then, with great fanfare, while giving him a knowing wink and a nod, I extended my index finger and pushed the power button as he looked on.

I hammered the Burgman when the light turned green and didn't see him again until we arrived at work the next morning.

He didn't seem inclined to talk.

Now,...every time I ride my Burgman to work, he clocks out and leaves 5 minutes early.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Harley Davidson's are pieces of crap, no offense. They break down more often than our Suzukis do, are more expensive, and only seem cool because they're loud and so called badass

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I like to do my Spinal Tap imitation when asked about the Power button.

" oh wha, that? It tak de bike to 'leven."

Ha, just might put a sticker on it and label it "11".

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think I read that the 0-60 for the 650 was something in the order of 7 seconds. However using the power button off the line (2014 Burgman) feels a bit quicker than that to me.

Geoff.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In the spirit of full disclosure, I should mention that I also own a '09 FXDC and the guys at work with Harleys are buds of mine.

But they can't understand how someone with a Super Glide could appreciate my Burgman. They seriously don't know what to make of it.

They occasionally rib me about it in a good natured fashion,..so I never miss an opportunity to demonstrate to them why I like it.

,...and it's true that the bagger guy leaves 5 minutes early when I ride the Burgman to work.

Well, either that or he puts in a half hour of over time that day.

The whole situation makes for a lot of fun, and is the basis for some of the things I post on here about Harleys and their riders.

I'm thinking seriously about mounting a small propeller sticking up on the top of an old half helmet I own and keeping it stashed under the seat of the Burgman.

Then catch a group of them leaving work someday, sailing past them and leading the pack,...with my helmet propeller whirring in the wind.

·
Registered
255 Posts
" with my helmet propeller whirring in the wind" Brilliant! Absolutely Brilliant!!!!

Greg

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I rode Harleys for many years and have just bought a used 2006 Burgman. I do think this Burgman is quicker than my Harley was. I have many Harley friends who spend an incredible amount of money trying to make their $25,000 Harleys "quicker". One guy bought a brand new 2013 and took the engine out and put in the most powerful replacement that Harley Davidson sells - cost him another $5,000 - $6,000 I think. I know I can still take him between lights. Gotta remember, these types don't do it because it makes sense or for improving their bikes. They do it for bragging rights. All the other guys stand around his bike ooh-ing and ahh-ing and only wishing they could afford to do the same. Harley Davidson marketing - they are brilliant.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ahhh yes Smitty, you are my type of guy, well done old boy...I always creep up on a harley rider when possible, then just pass!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Harley Davidson marketing - they are brilliant.
Big +1 to that! HD does an amazing job selling the brand/image/life style.

Glad I'm not part of it. Sounds expensive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts