Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm taking the class this weekend! I'm very nervous!! The thing that freaks me out the most is that my daughter is going too. It's a possiblity that she will pass and I wont. ;) That would be something more for her to rub in my face. The lovely child only missed one question on the permit test and I missed 8. GRRR!

Don't get me wrong, I want us both to pass. Just would be nice to have some braggin rights!
Does anyone have some advice for taking the motorcycle safety class?

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Yes just remember why you are taking the test. it is to help save your life. Learn as much as you can and ask dumb questions. To get a perfect score will not mean you will not do something stupid and get killed.

Some people are good at reading books and learning on paper. My wife could do that but she cannot even ride a bicycle.

Learn something. :thumbup:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm a MSF Rider Coach in Florida. It's very common to have family members taking the class together. In my experience children usually score better than parents and wives usually score better than husbands.

Some problems we see with families in the class are parents trying to protect children and husbands trying to coach wives, in the process neglecting their own learning. Let the Coaches take care of your children and wives and you concentrate on you. The class is designed around adult, learner centered principles,everyone is responsible for their own learning.Leave most of the negative myths you've heard about motorcycles behind you. Follow instructions, participate, watch other riders, ask questions, ask to see the demonstrations over if you still do not understand the exercise and most importantly, have fun.

The MSF Curriculum is well thought out. Each exersise builds on the previous one. If you follow instructions and apply yourself to the task at hand everything usually falls into place.

Competition sometimes works to make all family members better in the class, sometimes it's a negative especially when one of the family members is struggling more than the others.

Go, have fun and gather all the physical and mental skills you can to help you become the best rider you can be.

If you have any more specific questions, send them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Yes, first and foremost I'm there to learn. And it will be hard to step back and let my daughter be, But that is what I plan to do.

It's go to know that each exercise builds on the last, so I will make sure that I understand before moving to the next thing.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I was apprehensive about taking the class and it turned out the worry was all for naught. It was a great time! I learned a ton! And I still do the"outside, inside, outside" mantra. Relax, enjoy it and learn as much as you can. Your instructors will rock!

N

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
don't wear boxers :shock:
tell her the class is 30 minutes later than it is , that way she shows up late stays nervous and mad and you can easily smoke her on points :twisted:

She is your daughter, you are her hero,lose gracefully , I'm serious about the boxers

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Is that with or without sandals? :thumbup:

·
Registered
412 Posts
I took the class after 3 years of riding without a license. Scored 100% on the written portion because I read and took the practice test online.
read..
http://www.motorcycletraining.com/files ... ndbook.pdf
and test...
http://msf-usa.org/CourseReview/Questionframe.htm

The riding portion... I got 5 points knocked off for going a bit outside the lines doing a tight figure 8 turn. Need to really crank your head around and look all the way through the turn. That means turning your head 180 degrees when doing u-turns. Keep your head level, don't look at the pavement. If you stare at the lines you will cross them, if you stare at that pothole, you will hit it. Use peripheral vision to keep an eye on things in the road, keep your head level.

You will both pass. At the start of the course I saw a couple of guys that had never sat on a motorcycle before and it showed. By the end of the course they were doing great and the entire class passed. In my course you could get up to 20 points knocked off and still pass. (they won't tell you that up front though) You basically have to drop the bike a couple of times to fail.

But go there to learn, not just get the license. The instructors are great and very patient. You will learn a lot, it will keep you safe. Continue to practice after you pass. I'm glad I went and some time I'm going to take the advanced courses too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day two of class is done. I'm hot, tired and my head is spinning. I'm not the worst rider in the class, but as the morning went on I think I got worse. I don't know. It was soooo freakin hot!
But pass or not I'm so happen I didn't buy a cruiser! The shifting is going ok, I'm just not comfortable on the bike. I'm having trouble finding the rear break. I know where it's at but I have to hook my heal on the peg and angle my foot up towards the engine.
The instuctors want me to bring my Burg in tomorrow. But I don't think I will.

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
sandals and boxers are ok now (except for the daughter ) :lol:

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Crabbyco said:
...The instuctors want me to bring my Burg in tomorrow. But I don't think I will.
I wouldn't bring mine either. The local dealers know they have to maintain the training bikes, and even that some will get damaged from being dropped. But if you drop your Burgman, you are the one who is paying for the damage.

I watched a heartbroken man in the Experienced Rider's Course pick up his new shiny chromed HD when he dropped it in the course. Luckily, the damage wasn't too bad, but it was damaged.

There are things on our test, like the figure 8 inside the box that would be difficult for a new rider to do on a long wheelbase bike like the Burgman. It can be done, but why risk dropping your bike in the process?

Chris

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I took the course on a scooter. If you dropped it during the test, you automatically failed. I went up to the instructors just before the test and told them I wasn't going to do the tight figure 8 because I would constantly dwell on it during the test and would mess up other things. I didn't do it. Relaxed and passed the test. I was so happy that I went down to the license branch the next day and got the endorsement put on my license.

It's amazing how much you learn. I saw people who had ridden for years taking the class and learning so much from it. Don't forget to ALWAYS take time to practice those life-saving moves. You never know.

N

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris,
They want to see a Burg and try it. I wouldn't do some of the close riding that we are doing until I'm comfortable on the Burg. The bike I'm using for the cource has been dumped more than once. And there is a guy in the class that has no business driving a car, much less a motorcycle.
After yesterdays class I was feeling sick and today is going to be HOT! So my Burggy is staying home safe and sound.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I hope you're drinking lots and lots of water. And eating something with some salt in it. It sounds like you could be getting heat exhaustion. And if you're on a large paved area, that will soak up the heat and bring the temperature even higher.

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was over cast yesterday until right before the test then a nice breeze came up, so not too bad.
The kid did great! She passed the test and had a blast on a dual-sport bike that she was on. She no longer wants a crotch-rocket so the weekend was worth it.
I, on the other hand hated the cruiser I was on. I didn't pass the test cuz I hit the obstacle. Just bumped it, the cone didn't even move. I did learn a lot and can't wait to try my new skills on the Burg. Just have to decide if I what to try testing on the scooter or take the Sunday part of the class again.
We met a lot of really nice people and had fun.

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
so now you get to have fun twice, and maybe not p.o. the instructor when they ask you to bring in your bike so they won't fail you :)
doncha hate power mad peeps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, it wasn't like that, they where really nice. I knew I hit the cone. More mad at myself than anything. Everyone did stupid things during the test that we hadn't done all weekend. And they really felt bad that I didn't pass.
Going again next weekend...Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Crabby, what part of town are you in? I'm in New Brighton. Let me know if you want to go for a ride sometime.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jon,
Thanks for the offer, that would be fun. But I don't live "in town" LoL
If you find yourself up by Alexandria, we have some beautiful roads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts