Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI TO ALL For those of you who have repalced your oil with synthetic
fluid[engine only ?]what do you think??? IS gas mileage any better ?? What are the benifits you have noticed??? I have 5000 miles on mine and is it worth the extra price? THANKS

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
I switched over at 7,000 miles. You should be fine switching over now, at 5,000 miles.

I noticed the engine AND drive train seems to work less hard. The only complaint I would have is, it seems to be just a but noiser, and the "sweet spot" went from 65 mph, to 75. It just wants to go faster.

I went to
80-90 Synthetic in the final drive
10-40 in the engine and trans. in cooler and cold weather (I even thought about 5-40), and 15-50 in Hot weather.

I think my mileage went up, almost 2 mpg.

I didn't put it in for the longer time between changes, but less strain on the engine and drive train, = better mileage. I am not concered about "wasting" the oil if I change at 3,500 miles. I can always put it in one of my older vehicles, or lawn mower. but I can also wait till 5,000 miles if I need to. I ride about 5,000 - 6,000 miles a year.

Not a big difference in price Mobil-1 (can be had almost anywhere) vs "Offical Suzuki Ouil" at a dealer.

Bottom Line, "The Bike/Scooter seems Happier".

·
Registered
806 Posts
The reason for synthetic is not for "normal" operation, but for times when the conditions are pushed to the extreme. Synthetic can take another 100 or so degrees of heat while still maintaining viscocity. Furthermore, they flow better at startup, even more so in cold weather. They also don't lose their lubricating properties with use as bad as conventional oil. Comparing synthetic to conventional in normal conditions though, really you never see the difference, at least I didn't..

I went with Shell Rotella 5W40 in both the tranmission and engine (Burgman 400 calls for this, unlike the 650). I realize that they call for "10W" but synthetics usually flow the same at the lower temps anyway, regardless of whether it says "0w, 5w, or 10w."

In fact, my Honda CR-V calls for 5w20. Mobil 1's Honda oil was labeled "made for Ford and Honda" but said "0w20." Sales increased when they changed the label to say "5w20" though the oil never really did change.

Oh, and I went with the Rotella because not only is it supposedly a more robust, diesel oil, but it's under 4 bucks a quart at Wal Mart. At a buck and a half cheaper a quart than Mobil 1 and supossedly better, it was an easy choice.

·
Registered
466 Posts
and is it worth the extra price?
Good question. Synthetic oils are better in every measurable way but your question was is it worth the extra price. I think that is an individual decision. Synthetic oil is costly but I've never worn out a motorcycle engine no matter what type of oil I used, ever. I buy it because it's better, the price factor makes it an expensive choice.

Thanx,
Russ

·
Registered
806 Posts
Russ Schaeffer said:
and is it worth the extra price?
Good question. Synthetic oils are better in every measurable way but your question was is it worth the extra price. I think that is an individual decision. Synthetic oil is costly but I've never worn out a motorcycle engine no matter what type of oil I used, ever. I buy it because it's better, the price factor makes it an expensive choice.

Thanx,
Russ
Synthetic = Expensive oil BUT also synthetic = Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I had my eye on the Shell Rotella synthetic- it's pretty cheap at Wal Mart, for one. But it comes in 5w-40, as bechtoea said. And my 650 calls for 10W-40, I think. So in warmer weather, can I assume that the 5W in the Rotella T vs the 10W in dinosaur juice isn't a factor, since it's the 40W that matters? And that only in very cold weather would the 5W vs 10W come in place?
That's how I read it, please correct me if I'm not getting it correctly.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have been running Silkolene full synthetic oils for the past 11,000 miles in my 650. I did not notice any significant increase in gas mileage. I am going to switch to Honda semi-synthetic at my next oil change. It is less expensive, and my experiences with using semi-synthetic oils on past motorcycles have been great. I also run semi-synthetic oil in my cars. People usually have very strong opinions on oils, and will argue their beliefs till the sun falls out of the sky. But my decision is to go back to semi-synthetic. This is partially due to feedback from the service personnel at my dealership who run OEM dino oil in their own bikes. They have not been impressed with the innards of engines they've seen that have been torn down after running full synthetic oil. However they advise not to go back to straight dyno oil once you have been running synthetics.

·
Registered
553 Posts
pauljo said:
bikes. They have not been impressed with the innards of engines they've seen that have been torn down after running full synthetic oil. However they advise not to go back to straight dyno oil once you have been running synthetics.
One of the articles that I read on testing that was done on oils ( the link was from this forum by the way) said that synthetic oil was easier to pass between the seals, gaskets ect. and so more potential for leaks. this reason and a few others is why I think I will stay with the Suzuki motorcycle oil. (which by the the way is about the same price as what walmart has)

·
Registered
16 Posts
For a good detailed explanation and analysis of motorcycle oils vis a vis less expensive auotmotive oils and sysntetic oils, see http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm Then make your own decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I switched to all mobil one synthetics at 600 miles. I have not noticed any problems. One thing to note on Rotella it is designed for diesel engines, it has additives that are not needed for gasoline engines, IE soot suspension etc. I have a cummins turbo Dodge so I know a little about diesel oils also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Which Oil

Here is my 2 cents, liquid cooled engines are built to tighter spec's and Dino oil works quite well in them, when the engine is air cooled synthetic would be my choice because of more expanation and contraction within the engine. When I had my B400K3 I went to Mobil I at 1800 miles and found that the engine was still to tight, had to put Dino oil back in it until I had more miles on it. Another factor I look at is how much oil the engine holds, my 650 holds 3.1 qt's a good amount for a 638cc engine thats a lot more than a 459 cc Piaggio Master engine that holds less than 2 Quarts of 5/40 synthetic and is liquid cooled. I found when I changed the oil pan from a 5 qt to 7qt on my truck that carries a load the engine lasted a great deal longer before needing any kind of work done to it...............walterb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts