Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased O 5 Burgman 400 with 25000 miles. The other in O 4 400 With16,000 miles. Should I put synthetic oil in them?

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Some swear by synthetics others don't. As long as you use a good quality oil that meets the Suzuki requirements then you will be OK. It is mostly personal experience and preference. The only way I can justify the price difference, is if I leave the synthetics in for longer mileage between changes.

·
Administrator
18,321 Posts
I agree with John. If you can find a better price for the Syn, then go for it. It's like some riders get better mileage running super pump gas, most get better on regular pump gas. No set answer. My answer is it would not help nor hurt. :D

The 650's require a 10W40 that meets wet clutch spec's. But all 400's have a dry clutch and so you can use about any good oil that meets the spec's for the temperature and how hard you run it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
How often are you guys changing your oil?
I have a few Yamahas too, so I buy gallons of regular Yamalube and use it in everything. I change my oil about every 1500-2000 miles in the Burg.

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
I do engine and trans at the same time, about 3,500 miles, or once a year, which ever comes 1st.

I do the final drive every 3rd. oil change.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Synthetic oil

Yes I am using synthetic oil and we should to change the oil after specific milage and it will increase the life of engine.
I use Valvoline 4 stroke 10-40 motorcycle oil. It meets all the latest recommended Suzuki requirements and it is cheaper then all the rest. Read the label. Can be purchased at Walmart.

·
Administrator
18,321 Posts
And I use any 10W40 CAR oil and change it every 7200 miles, twice the oil change warning on the 650. I reset the warning, change the oil and filter, wait for the warning then reset it, wait for the warning and change the oil and filter. I do the transmission oil at the same time.

Now if I do not buy any 10W40 CAR oil, then I get a gallon of Shell Rotella Syn-T 5W40. But my bike seems to use it up a bit more.

If you go over and spend some time on Bob is the oil guy site and read some of the virgin oil analysis, most 4 stroke is JUST re-badged car oil that is safe for wet clutches that most motorcycles need. Only difference between the re-badged oil and its cousin car oil is the price. www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com

:pain10:

·
Registered
748 Posts
^^^ You hope, lol.
I agree. I think all the oil debates are over-rated.
Change your oil, clean your air filter, ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts