Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to do the first maintenance on my 2012 Burgman 650 Exec with around 500 miles on it. (It was originally purchased from the dealer back in July). I have the shop manual which is good for 03-09 Burgman 650s. I do not think there was a significant change between 09-12 Burgmans. Based on the shop manual, I need to change the engine oil, Oil filter, Transmission oil and final drive oil. My other bike is 2009 BMW K1200LT. So I already have some Castrol Motorcycle grade synthetic 20W50 engine oil (I purchased the Suzuki oil filter and filter wrench already) and Amsoil synthetic SAE 90 Hypoid Gear Oil API class GL5 for Transmission and Final Drive. Are these ok to use with the Burgman? Do I need any crush washers?

Thanks in advance,

Matt Kas
2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec
2009 BMW K1200LT
Dana Point, CA

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
Matt, the over all consensus is it is OK to use synthetic at the first oil change. In the Great NorthWet, 20W50 is too thick. I'd recommend a 10W40, 5W40. But that 20W50 fits in the bracket of oils it the average air temp is what you ride in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You better take a closer look at that owner's Manuel. The crank case and transmission take the same oil. It is just me but I put at least 2500 mles on any new machine before using synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I have yet to replace a crush washer.

I have 40K on my '03, with 10-12 oil changes using the OEM washers.

No leaks.
Same for me and I have just a touch more miles and oil changes on mine ;).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello. I wanted to wait until the engine was broke in properly. That is not until 6000 miles. At 5400 I put in amsoil 10w 40 syntheyic motorcycle oil. The thing about a burgman 650 is its that the engine has a lot a guts. At 5500 rpm in manual and 6th gear I am running 95 MPH ,, and that's all day long.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Use synthetic at the 600 mile oil change. If your average RPM has been 3000, that means the engine has turned one million, eight hundred thousand revolutions. I would think that is enough to properly wear in the parts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up using part synthetic Castrol 10W40 for the engine and tranny. it was on sale at local cycle gear.

·
Registered
366 Posts
First service coming up

I'm also getting ready to do 1st service but like with all my scooters I use nothing but 100% synthetic on all fluids and iridium spark plugs.
I have 3 liters left of Scooter power 5w40 that I was thinking of using. But I just ordered 4 liters of Motul 7100 full synthetic and probably use same in transmission I'm still hunting for the final gear. I thought Motul Gear 300 75-90 . But wander is that the best hypoid for the final gear.
Using synthetic I find makes the bike smoother and a little better performance. for one thing it has much higher tolerance to heat. I live in hot muggy Miami with lots of traffic so I try to go with the best.
Any suggestions?
This is my first Burgman. Its a 2013 but I understand its the same as the 2014.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use Synthetic in every internal combustion engine I own at the very first oil change.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I use Synthetic in every internal combustion engine I own at the very first oil change.
Yeah, saying that you need to wait until "X" number of miles are on your bike before you swap to synthetic is a popular myth. My dad retired from Exxon and he had a nutty but incredibly intelligent best friend with a PHD in petroleum engineering and he loved talking oils. Good God but he loved talking oil. Anyway, would of the things he liked to talk about was how they ran all these test in laboratories at the research center where he worked and how much better that synthetic oils worked over the long run than conventional oils did. In other words, if you don't change your oil as often as you should that you can get away with it longer if you got synthetic oil in you engine. And he emphasized that you cannot put synthetic oil in your engine too soon either.

Considering that high performance cars costing $100 grand and more are coming from the factory with synthetic oil already in them I would have to say that he is 100% right about that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You better take a closer look at that owner's Manuel. The crank case and transmission take the same oil. It is just me but I put at least 2500 mles on any new machine before using synthetic oil.
The need to use mineral all for brake in before using synthetic is an urban myth. I ran a high performance engine in on sythetic and used it throughout its life till I sold it. All my vehicles started life with Synthetic oil stating of in the 70's with Mobil One . The engines performed like clockwork.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts